Gornji Grad, Zemun
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Gornji Grad is located in the northern part of Zemun, spreading along the right bank of the Danube. It is roughly bounded by the Ugrinovačka and Banatska streets, while other important streets include Cara Dušana and Pregrevica. Being elongated and one of the largest neighborhoods of Zemun, Gornji Grad is bordered by many other neighborhoods: Gardoš on the east, Ćukovac and Muhar on the southeast, Sava Kovačević on the south, Sutjeska and Zemun Bačka on the southwest, while in the west it extends in the direction of Nova Galenika and Goveđi Brod.
The name of the neighborhood is descriptive, meaning the "upper town", above the Gardoš hill, as opposed to the neighborhood of Donji Grad, the "lower town", below the hill. According to the 2002 Census, it had a population of 15,819. It consisted of two local communities within the Zemun municipality, "Branko Pešić" and "Janko Lisjak Puška", but the municipality later abolished the local communities.
Some important facilities in the neighborhood include:
- three stadiums, those of FK Teleoptik, FK Zemun (Zemun's City Stadium) and FK Milutinac
- "INSA", the clockmaking factory, and "Teleoptik", the precision mechanics factory
- large number of schools, including Higher medical school, Higher internal affairs school, Transportation school, Institute for physics and half a dozen of elementary and secondary schools, plus the Riding school and the Home for the blind and visually impaired.
On 10 July 2017 a construction of the new residential complex, called Zemunske Kapije ("Zemun Gates"), began on the location of the former barracks "Aleksa Dundić", which is to be demolished. The complex will have 1,700 apartments ranging in size from 30 m2 (320 sq ft) to 95 m2 (1,020 sq ft), bounded by the streets of Cara Dušana, Zadužbinska and Šumadijska on the area of 6 ha (15 acres). The apartments will be spread in 8 buildings, with the total area of 200,000 m2 (2,200,000 sq ft). Deadline for the Phase I of the project is September 2018, when three buildings with 323 apartments should be completed with the first tenants settling a month later.
- Osnovni skupovi stanovništva u zemlji – SFRJ, SR i SAP, opštine i mesne zajednice 31.03.1981, tabela 191. Savezni zavod za statistiku (txt file). 1983.
- Stanovništvo prema migracionim obeležjima – SFRJ, SR i SAP, opštine i mesne zajednice 31.03.1991, tabela 018. Savezni zavod za statistiku (txt file).
- Popis stanovništva po mesnim zajednicama, Saopštenje 40/2002, page 4. Zavod za informatiku i statistiku grada Beograda. 26 July 2002.
- Tanjug (10 July 2017). "Počela gradnja novog naselja "Zemunske kapije"" (in Serbian). Radio Television Serbia.
- Daliborka Mučibabić (11 July 2017), ""Zemunske kapije" otvaraju se krajem 2018.", Politika (in Serbian), p. 16
|This Belgrade District, Serbia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|