|Province of Gorontalo|
Clockwise, from top left : Saronde Island, Lake Limboto, Botutonuo beach, Fort Otanaha
|Nickname(s): Bumi Serambi Madinah (The Land of Medina's Porch)|
|Motto: Adati Hula-hula'a to Sara'a, Sara'a hula-hula'a to Kuru'ani (Adat bersendikan Syara', Syara' bersendikan Alquran) (Gorontalo language)|
Location of Province of Gorontalo in Indonesia
|• Governor||Rusli Habibie (Golkar)|
|• Vice Governor||Idris Rahim|
|• Total||12.435 km2 (4.801 sq mi)|
|• Ethnic groups||Gorontaloan, Atinggolan, Bolangoan, Suwawan, Mongondowi|
|• Religion||Islam (97.81%), Protestantism (1.59%), Hinduism (0.35%), Buddhism (0.09%)|
|• Languages||Indonesian (official), Gorontalo Language (native)|
|Time zone||CIT (UTC+08)|
|Area code(s)||+62 435|
Gorontalo or Hulontalo is a city and the capital of Gorontalo Province, Sulawesi Island, Indonesia. As Province, Gorontalo was born on December 5, 2000. It is renowned as a center spread of Islam in Eastern Indonesia. Besides, classical Gorontalese fine art and culture are unique such as Karawo, Upiya Karanji (Songkok Gorontalo) or known as Peci Gusdur (The 4th President of Indonesia), and poetry. Gorontalo also known as City of Medina Porch. Gorontalo province is located on the peninsula Gorontalo (Gorontalo Peninsula) on the island of Sulawesi, precisely in the western part of the province of North Sulawesi. The total area of the province 12435.00 km² with a population of 1,133,237(2016), the population density 88 inhabitants / km². Gorontalo inhabited by ethnic diversity are shaped Pohala'a (Family), among Pohala'a Gorontalo (Ethnic Hulontalo), Pohala'a Suwawa (Ethnic Suwawa / Tuwawa), Pohala'a Limboto (Ethnic Limutu), Pohala'a Bolango (Ethnic Bulango / Bolango) and Pohala'a Atinggola (Ethnic Atinggola) is entirely categorized into Gorontalo tribe or Hulontalo tribe or Gorontalese or Gorontaloan. Suspected, the spread of Diaspora People Gorontalo has reached 5 times of the total population are now scattered around the world.
Old Cities in Gorontalo
Although, actually Gorontalo Province had already been known since the Dutch colonial era with the old towns of its addition to the city of Gorontalo (Hulontalo), such as:
- Suwawa (Tuwawa)
- Limboto (Limutu)
Nickname of Gorontalo
There are several nicknames of gorontalo:
- "Bumi Serambi Madinah"
- "Bumi Para Sastrawan"'
- "Bumi Maleo"
- "Provinsi Agropolitan"'
- "The Hidden Paradise"
- "Bumi 1001 Sultan"
There are several hypotheses about the etymology of the name Gorontalo.:
- from Hulontalangio, the name of a tribe that resided in the area
- from Hua Lolontalango, which means cavemen who used to walk back and forth
- from Hulutalangi, which means nobler
- from Huluo Lo Tola, which means a place where snakehead fish breed
- from Pongolatalo or Pohulatalo, which means: a waiting place
- from Gunung Telu, which means three mountains
- from Hunto, which means a place that is always flowed by water
Gorontalo lies on the northern Sulawesi arm, known as the Minahasa Peninsula. The province has an elongated shape area, stretching from west to east almost horizontally on a map, with total area of 11,257.07 km2 (4,346.38 sq mi). To the north and the south of the province are the Sulawesi Sea and the Gulf of Gorontalo or known as Gulf of Tomini, respectively. Prior to 2000, Gorontalo province was part of North Sulawesi province which lies on the eastern border. The western border of the province is Central Sulawesi province.
Topography of the province is relatively low (0—40o), with the elevation ranging between 0—2,400 m (7,900 ft) above sea level. Its coastline length is more than 590 km (370 mi). Counting the Exclusive Economic Zone to the north where Philippines is at the border, the total sea area of the province is more than 50,500 km2 (19,500 sq mi). There are some small islands around the north and the south of the province, 67 of which have been identified and named.
History of Gorontalo
According to historical evidence, Gorontalo Peninsula formed approximately 1300 years ago, which the Kingdom of Suwawa has been found standing around in the 8th century AD. This is reinforced by the discovery of the tomb of the king on the banks of the river upstream Bulawa. Not only that, the tomb of King of Suwawa can be found in the river upstream Bone, which is the tomb of King Moluadu (one of the king in Suwawa Kingdom) along with the tomb of his wife and son.
However, as one of the oldest in the peninsula and archipelago of Sulawesi, Gorontalo Peninsula did not just have historical records on the inscription King ancient tombs, but also has prehistoric sites have been found. Oluhuta sites, is a prehistoric site and has a prehistoric tomb in it. this may be evidence that Gorontalo has had very ancient civilization.
Meanwhile, the city of Gorontalo is one of the old city on Sulawesi Island in addition to the city of Makassar and Manado. It is estimated, Gorontalo has been formed since approximately 400 years ago or around the 1500s in the 16th century. Gorontalo city at that time became one of the centers of Islamic religion in Eastern Indonesia, in addition to Ternate (now part of North Maluku Province).
Along with the spread of the religion, Gorontalo city eventually became the center of education and commerce communities in the region "Tomini-Bocht" as Territory Bolaang Mongondow (North Sulawesi), Region Buol, Region Luwuk, Banggai, Donggala (Central Sulawesi) even to the Southeast. This is because, Gorontalo has a very strategic location, its position facing directly into the Gulf of Tomini (south) and the Sulawesi Sea (north).
Before the colonial period Gorontalo circumstances shaped region empires governed by customary law constitutional Gorontalo. Kingdoms were united in a bond of kinship called "Pohala'a". According Haga (1931) there are five pohala'a Gorontalo area:
- Pohala'a Gorontalo
- Pohala'a Limboto
- Pohala'a Suwawa
- Pohala'a Bolango then be Pohala'a Boalemo
- Pohala'a Atinggola
Based on the classification made by the customs Mr.C.Vollenhoven, the Peninsula Gorontalo included into 19 indigenous areas in Indonesia. Between religion and customs in Gorontalo was fused with the term "Adat bersendikan Syara 'and Syara' bersendikan Kitabullah". Pohalaa Pohalaa Gorontalo is the most prominent among the five Pohalaa. That is why Gorontalo is more widely known.
Before the independence of the Republic of Indonesia, the people of Gorontalo spearheaded by Mr. H. Nani Wartabone struggle and independence on January 23, 1942. For approximately two years i.e. until 1944 Gorontalo area sovereign self-government. This is a milestone patriotic struggle Indonesian independence and given the impact and inspiration to the surrounding area and even nationally. Therefore, Mr. H. Nani Wartabone confirmed by the Government of Indonesia as a pioneer of independence hero.
The governor and vice-governor, who are elected directly by the people, head the provincial administration. The province is divided into five regencies (Indonesian: kabupaten) and only one city (Indonesian: kota). When the province was established in 2000, there were only two regencies and the city in the province. Splitting of regencies occurred in 2003 (when Pohuwato Regency was created from the western part of Boalemo Regency, and Bone Bolango Regency was created from the eastern part of Gorontalo Regency) and 2007 (when North Gorontalo Regency was created from the northern part of Gorontalo Regency).
As of 2010, the list of regencies and cities in Gorontalo province is given in the table below.
|Gorontalo City||*||1959||UU 29/1959||79.59||180,127||196,464||0.749 (High)|
|Boalemo Regency||Tilamuta||1999||UU 50/1999||1,521.88||129,253||140,975||0.621 (Medium)|
|Bone Bolango Regency||Suwawa||2003||UU 6/2003||1,984.31||141,915||154,785||0.660 (Medium)|
|Gorontalo Regency||Limboto||1959||UU 29/1959||1,750.83||355,988||388,273||0.629 (Medium)|
|North Gorontalo Regency
|Kwandang||2007||UU 11/2007||1,676.15||104,133||113,577||0.619 (Medium)|
|Pohuwato Regency||Marisa||2003||UU 6/2003||4,244.31||128,748||140,424||0.617 (Medium)|
Note: * A city and also the provincial capital.
|Source: Statistics Indonesia 2010. Gorontalo part of North Sulawesi Province until 2000|
Gorontalo Tourism, The Hidden Paradise
Gorontalo province mostly consists of mountains that stretches from north to south of the province. Panorama of Gorontalo Mountains is fabulous. The mountains and forests are homes to unique flora and fauna. Dwarf buffalo, Tarsier, maleo, and Babirusa is one of the rare species that can be found here. Maleo, for example, is a species of bird whose eggs bigger than his own body. While Tarsier is the smallest primate in the world, but it has a length of about 10 cm. In the forest there Gorontalo Ebony Tree, Tree lingua, Nantu, meranti, and Rattan.
In the southern part of Gorontalo, which is in the Gulf of Tomini, there are several small islands scattered. The islands are uninhabited and very beautiful white sand surrounds. Tomini crossed by the equator and naturally inhabited by diverse species of sea animals. Therefore, Tomini Bay is a paradise for divers. Here are some of the famous attractions in the province of Gorontalo:
Pulo Cinta, Boalemo Regency, Gorontalo, Indonesia
- International travel mainstay of Indonesia in Gorontalo Province is located in the district was. Island shaped like hearts is equipped with some very exclusive floating resort, and certainly shows the clear sea of charming exoticism. Pulo cinta Gorontalo mahsyur in the ears of the international traveler, it's often called the "Maldives van Gorontalo".
Lito Saronde or Saronde Island, North Gorontalo Regency, Gorontalo, Indonesia
- Saronde island is also a mainstay of Indonesia International Travel in Gorontalo Province is located in the district Ponelo, Kwandang, North Gorontalo District. Saronde island famous for its beautiful white sand beaches, crystal clear waters and beautiful coral reefs in the vicinity. In addition there are three other islands that can be explored and not as beautiful as the island Bogisa, Mohinggito, and Lampu island.
Olele Marine Park and Salvador Dalí Sponge, Bone Bolango Regency, Gorontalo, Indonesia
- Olele Marine Park is one of the International Underwater Heaven featured divers existing foreign Bolango Bone regency, Indonesia. This marine park has been very mahsyur even in the ears of European divers. Marine Park, known for their uniqueness Olele Salvador Dalí Sponge, a sponge of life that is not owned by other marine parks in the world, even in Bunaken Island marine park did not have the kind of sponge this one. Sponges are named Salvador Dalí Sponge for forms similar physical appearance of a painting by the famous painter Salvador Dalí.
Whale Shark Sites and Diving Center, Bone Bolango Regency, Gorontalo, Indonesia
- Botu Barani beach in Bone Bolango regency, Gorontalo became very popular among local and foreign tourists because of the existence of a group of whale sharks in the coastal area. Not only local tourists, but the presence of the docile sharks drew the attention of the International Travelers.
Fort of Otanaha, Gorontalo City, Gorontalo, Indonesia
- In the past this form of relics of former Portuguese colonization. Otanaha Fortress, the King of Gorontalo used as a refuge and defense. The uniqueness of the castle visible is the material used to build the castle mixture of sand, plaster, and Maleo egg whites. The view of Lake Limboto can be seen clearly from here, because it is on top of the plateau. Precisely, in Dembe I, Kota Barat, about 8 km from the center of the city of Gorontalo. There are two more forts were located in the same area, namely Otahiya and Ulupahu Palace. Visitors must pass through 345 stairs to reach it.
Limboto Lake and Ir. Sukarno Museum, Gorontalo Regency, Gorontalo, Indonesia
- The village was named Iluta, is 10 km from the city center, marking the entrance to this anyway. The unique characteristics of this lake is due to have a variety of freshwater fish that can only be found in this lake. Moreover, in this lake there is a seaplane landing field named Katelina, brought the First President of the Republic of Indonesia, Ir. Sukarno.
Pakaya Tower, Gorontalo Regency, Gorontalo, Indonesia
- Pakaya Tower is a tower with a height of 60 meters. At the top of the tower there are telescopes for use exploring the beautiful view of the lake Limboto. Inside the tower you can see a lot of souvenirs are displayed and several restaurants. Limboto Pakaya tower dubbed by the name "Twins of Eiffel Tower, Paris, France".
Torosiaje, Pohuwato Regency, Gorontalo, Indonesia
- The Bajo Village in Torosiaje, Pohuwato was inhabited by Bajo tribe who live in groups and have a unique culture and tradition. They always make a craft on board and working as a fisherman. Bajo still staying on a boat called "Stork", they go from one island to another in the end return to Toro Beach Island for pearl farming and seaweed.
Bogani Nani Wartabone National Park, Bone Bolango, Gorontalo, Indonesia
- Bogani Nani Wartabone National Park is a 2,871 km2 (1,108 mi2) National Park on Minahassa Peninsula on Sulawesi island, Indonesia. Formerly known as Dumoga Bone National Park, it was established in 1991 and was renamed in honour of Nani Wartabone, a local resistance fighter who drove the Japanese from Gorontalo during the World War II. The park has been identified by Wildlife Conservation Society as the single most important site for the conservation of Sulawesi wildlife and is home to a large number of species endemic to Sulawesi.
Karawo Village, Gorontalo regency, Gorontalo, Indonesia
- Gorontalo Regency is one of the industrial centers of the typical traditional woven cloth Gorontalo named Karawo. Karawo Embroidery is a craft to decorate various types of fabrics with various motifs of embroidery using thread plain or multicolored. The process of making embroidery karawo that slicing and retract yarn from fiber fabric that is so then embroidered with variegated yarn according to the design desired motif manually. Craft karawo a typical craft Gorontalo that has developed since a long time since the 16th century.
Sumalata Waters Reserve
The islands of Pepaya, Mas and Raja islands, located in the Sumalata Waters in North Gorontalo, have been named a nature reserve since the Dutch colonial time in 1936. Four of the only seven species of turtles can be found in the islands, the world's best turtle habitat. They include Penyu Hijau (Chelonia midas), Penyu Sisik (Eretmochelys imbricata), Penyu Tempayan (Caretta caretta) and Penyu Belimbing (Dermochelys coriacea). In 2011, the habitat was threatened by human activities such as illegal poaching and fish bombing activities; furthermore a lot of coral reefs, which represent a source of food for turtles, have been damaged.
Limboto Lake has 40 bird species, 14 of them are migrating birds before resuming their journey which can be found in September and October every year from Europe, Russia, Alaska and Siberia to various destinations.
- Gorontalo, BPS. "Jumlah Penduduk". BPSP Gorontalo. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Gorontalo Profile" (Press release). Statistics Indonesia. Archived from the original on 24 August 2007. Retrieved 27 August 2007.
- Gorontalo, Pemprov. "HUT Provinsi Gorontalo". Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- Karanji, Upiya. "Upiya Karanji". Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- BPS, publikasi. "BPS Gorontalo". Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "Informasi Daerah". Kemendag. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "Bahasa Daerah Gorontalo". regional.kompas.com. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "Julukan lain Gorontalo". Dedi Panigoro. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "The History of Province of Gorontalo". Sejarah Provinsi Gorontalo (in Indonesian). Statistics Bureau of Province of Gorontalo. Archived from the original on 30 January 2009. Retrieved 2008-10-10.
- "Geographical Condition". Gorontalo ~ Provinsi Agropolitan (in Indonesian). Provincial Government of Gorontalo. Archived from the original on 2007-07-16. Retrieved 2007-08-27.
- "Batas Provinsi Gorontalo". Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- Suwawa, Kerajaan. "suwawa kingdom". Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "Bahasa Bonda dan Kubur Keramat". Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "Situs Oluhuta". Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "Kota Tua Gorontalo". Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "Sejarah Gorontalo". Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "Daerah Adat Indonesia". Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "Sejarah Gorontalo". Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "Hutan Gorontalo". Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "Tourism Destination in Gorontalo". Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "World`s best turtle habitat in Gorontalo threatened".
- Syamsul Huda M.Suhari (15 August 2015). "Limboto attracts migrating birds from around the world".