Goseong County, South Gyeongsang
|• Revised Romanization||Goseong-gun|
Location in South Korea
|Administrative divisions||1 eup, 13 myeon|
|• Total||516.9 km2 (199.6 sq mi)|
|Population (December 2008)|
|• Density||116.8/km2 (303/sq mi)|
Goseong-gun is divided into 1 eup and 13 myeon.
Goseong-gun is located at the southern end of central Gyeongnam. It was the capital of Sogaya, an ancient kingdom of advanced culture. It is endowed with natural tourism resources of beautiful mountains, ocean, and fields.
It is adjacent to Geoje, Sacheon, Tongyeong, Masan, and Jinju. It is also linked to the Daejeon-Tongyeong Expressway, National Roads No. 14 and No. 33. 
Its location is quite southern, which makes the climate mild and warm all year around. That is, Goseong is classified as an oceanic climate. The southeast wind blows during the summer and the northwest wind, which is the seasonal wind, blows during the winter.
Goseong was the center of the Gaya kingdom during ancient years. Goseong county held an annual "Sogaya festival" reemerging marching of ancient people with legends.
Between 1 April and 12 June 2016, the county will host the Gyeongnam Goseong Dinosaur World Expo (see 'Fossil sites' below for more info).
Goseong was designated as a cluster for shipbuilding, including development with its neighbor, Geoje area.
Goseong is known for, among other things, its fossilized dinosaur footprints. The county will host the Gyeongnam Goseong Dinosaur World Expo in 2016 for 73 days, between 1 April and 12 June, at Danghangpo Tourist Site and Sangjogam County Park. Goseong county participated in the International dinosaur festival of Zigong, Sichuan Province of China which is a sister city.
The whole area was on the way of propelling registration of UNESCO natural heritages with other southern coast-lying regions. Fossil sites on the southern coast of Korea are the largest scale in Asia.
To get around Goseong, you can take local buses which depart from Goseong Intercity Bus Terminal and other bus stops around town. If you're looking to travel outside of Goseong, intercity buses depart from Goseong Intercity Bus Terminal. Local and out-of-county bus schedules (in English) can be found on the county's official website but beware, use only as a rough guide as it hasn't been updated in a while. A more updated bus schedule, as at January 2016, can be found here.
Taxis in Goseong start with base fare of 3,800 won. A 25-30 minute ride can cost about 30,000 won (2016).
- Goseong Dinosaur Museum
- Sangjokam County Park[permanent dead link]
- Goseong Ogwangdae - Korea Mask Dance Drama
- Danghangpo Tourist Resort[permanent dead link]
- Mt. Yeonhwa Provincial Park[permanent dead link]
- Namsan Park
- Okcheon Temple
- Songhakdong Gobungun - presumed to be tombs of political leaders of the Gaya period around A.D. 600.
- Unheung Temple
- Jangui Temple
- Mt. Geumtae Gyesung Temple
Agricultural and Marine Products
- Agricultural products: Dinosaur land rice, green pumpkin, hot pepper, sweet persimmon, pumpkin, chinamul, mushroom, cherry tomato, Goseong persimmon, strawberry
- Marine products: anchovy, Goseong Gaetjangeo (hamo) Hoe - raw fish, giant prawn, oyster.
- List of Korea-related topics
- Sim Bong-geun, Goseong native and President of Dong-A University.
- Danghangpo Battle, a battle that happen in modern Danghang-ri, Hoehwa-myeon.
- 가야 지배자들의 무덤을 찾아서 Dayliannews http://www.dailian.co.kr/news/n_view.html?id=54195 2007.01.16
- from County website
- 고성 소가야문화제 개막 [Opening festival of Goseong]. Yonhap News Agency. 11 October 2006. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- 고성 조선산업특구 조성 4월 착공 [Goseong starting shipbuilding cluster from next April]. Chosun Ilbo. 15 January 2008. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- 남해안 공룡화석지 국제심포지엄 개최 Newsis 2007-02-22 http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=102&oid=003&aid=0000322959
- "Goseong-gun official county website".[permanent dead link]
- "여자축구대표 출신 정정숙씨 별세". Yonhap. Naver. 2011-06-27.