Goshen Township, Belmont County, Ohio
|Goshen Township, Belmont County, Ohio|
Dam at Barkcamp State Park
Location of Goshen Township in Belmont County
|• Total||36.4 sq mi (94.4 km2)|
|• Land||36.1 sq mi (93.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,184 ft (361 m)|
|• Density||87/sq mi (33.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085778|
Goshen Township is one of the sixteen townships of Belmont County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census reported a population of 3,147 people in the township, 1,438 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Union Township - north
- Richland Township - northeast
- Smith Township - east
- Wayne Township - south
- Somerset Township - southwest corner
- Warren Township - west
- Kirkwood Township - northwest
Name and history
Goshen Township was settled about 1801 by settlers from Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ireland. These settlers probably named their new township after a Goshen Township in Chester County, Pennsylvania.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Goshen township, Belmont County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 218. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- McKelvey, A. T. (1903). Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens. Biographical Publishing Company. p. 290.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.