|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Gotanda (五反田?) is a busy neighbourhood in the Shinagawa ward of Tokyo, Japan. The name "Gotanda" can be literally translated as "a (rice) paddy of half-hectare's size". The district straddles the Meguro River, and is located between the Meguro and Ōsaki stations on the JR Yamanote Line.
The JR loop severs the neighbourhood into two districts. Higashi (East) Gotanda lies inside the Yamanote loop, while Nishi (West) Gotanda is outside the loop. Nishi-Gotanda is largely residential, with moderately sized apartment buildings close to the JR station and quiet leafy streets in the outlying reaches. Higashi-Gotanda is home to Seisen University, NTT Medical Center Tokyo, several temples and shrines, and many office buildings. Higashi-Gotanda also has a substantial number of hotels, including some of the famed capsule hotel style. The sprawling world headquarters of Sony used to be found along Sony Dōri the eastern edge of Higashi-Gotanda, but most of the complex has moved to adjacent Shinagawa, Minato Ward.
One of Tokyo's busy major avenues (Sakurada Dōri — a part of National Route 1) passes through both halves of Gotanda, carrying traffic between the inner business districts ringing the Imperial Palace grounds and the outlying areas of Shinagawa-ku, Ōta-ku and beyond that the city of Yokohama.
- Hotel MyStays Gotanda
- Hotel Sunroute Gotanda
- Keio Presso Inn Gotanda
- Arietta Gotanda
- Ryokan Sansuiso, Japanese style inn
- Central Inn Gotanda, capsule hotel
- Tokyu Stay Gotanda, apartment hotel
- Embassy of the Republic of Belarus
- Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia
- Embassy of the Republic of Macedonia
- Consulate General of the Federative Republic of Brazil in Tokyo
- Consulate General of the Republic of Peru in Tokyo
- "Sony Considers Sale of Properties Including Former Headquarters". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2010-06-23.