Gothelo I, Duke of Lorraine
|Gothelo I, Duke of Lorraine|
|Noble family||House of Ardennes-Verdun|
|Father||Godfrey I, Count of Verdun|
|Died||19 April 1044(age 77)|
Gothelo (or Gozelo) (c. 967 – 19 April 1044), called the Great, was the duke of Lower Lorraine from 1023 and of Upper Lorraine from 1033. He was also the margrave of Antwerp from 1005 (or 1008) and count of Verdun. Gothelo was the youngest son of Godfrey I, Count of Verdun, and Matilda Billung, daughter of Herman, Duke of Saxony. On his father's death, he received the march of Antwerp and became a vassal of his brother, Godfrey II, who became duke of Lower Lorraine in 1012. He succeeded his brother in 1023 with the support of the Emperor Henry II, but was opposed until Conrad II forced the rebels to submit in 1025. When the House of Bar, which ruled in Upper Lorraine, became extinct in 1033, with the death of his cousin Frederick III, Conrad made him duke of both duchies, so that he could assist in the defence of the territory against Odo II, count of Blois, Meaux, Chartres, and Troyes (the later Champagne).
In the battle at Bar on 15 November 1037, Gothelo dealt a decisive blow to Odo, who was trying to create an independent state between France and Germany. Odo died in the battle.
Gothelo died on 19 April 1044 and was buried in the Abbey Church of Bilzen. His son Godfrey succeeded in Upper Lorraine, but the Emperor Henry III refused to give him the duchy of Lower Lorraine as well. When Godfrey showed disagreement with the imperial decision, Henry III threatened to pass the duchy to Godfrey's incompetent brother Gothelo. This caused a long rebellion in Lotharingia between the allies of Godfrey (the counts of Flanders and Leuven) and imperial forces (1044–1056).
- Godfrey the Bearded, duke of Upper Lorraine
- Gothelo, duke of Lower Lorraine
- Frederick, later Pope Stephen IX
- Regilinda, married Albert II, Count of Namur
- Oda, married Lambert II, Count of Leuven
- Matilda, married Henry I, Count Palatine of Lotharingia
- Ludwig Conrady in 'Die Geschichte des Hauses Nassau: Von den ältesten Zeiten bis zu den ersten Trägern des Namens Nassau', _Annalen des Vereins für nassauische Altertumskunde und Geschichtsforschung_ 26 (1894) 1-130 & table 132-133. (as cited by Leo van de Pas, 8 May 2009 in soc.genealogy.medieval https://groups.google.com/group/soc.genealogy.medieval/msg/ba0cead083940613)
- Also see: Theodor Schliephake in _Geschichte von Nassau, von den ältesten Zeiten bis auf die Gegenwart, auf der Grundlage urkundlicher Quellenforschung_, vol 1 (Wiesbaden, 1866)
Gothelo I, Duke of LorraineBorn: c. 967 Died: 19 April 1044
Godfrey the Childless
|Duke of Lower Lorraine
|Duke of Upper Lorraine
Godfrey the Bearded
Godfrey the Prisoner
|Margrave of Antwerp
Gothelo the Lazy