Gottlieb Bender Christiansen
|Part of a series on|
Gottlieb Bender Christiansen (October 27, 1851 - September 27, 1929) was an American Lutheran Minister who served as President at Trinity Seminary in Blair, Nebraska and was the first president of the United Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church.
G.B. Christiansen was born in Røjle Mark, Vejlby Parish, Odense County, Denmark. His parents were Christian Gottliebsen and Else Cathrine Nielsdatter. He came to America with his betrothed Jensine Larsen on August 15, 1877, via the SS Gellert (part of the Hamburg German American line). From 1877–1881, he attended Augsburg Seminary in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He was ordained on June 23, 1881, at Shell Rock, Iowa. He died September 27, 1929, at the Ebenezer Home in Brush, Colorado, later Buried in Elk Horn, Iowa.
He served as Pastor at Our Savior's Lutheran Church in Council Bluffs, Iowa from 1881–1885. In 1886, he was called to Owatonna Danish Lutheran Congregation in Owatonna, Minnesota. Rev. Christiansen served there until 1890. He was also Pastor at Trinity Lutheran Church in Albert Lea, Minnesota from 1885–1890. On January 1, 1889, Reverend Christiansen came to serve Brorson Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Pastor Christiansen was called to be the second president of Trinity Seminary in Blair, Nebraska in 1890. He served as both President and theological professor at Trinity Seminary until 1896. He was also Pastor for congregations in Blair, Nebraska area during this period.
Christiansen was called to be the first president of the newly formed United Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church from 1896–1921. The United Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized at Minneapolis on October 1, 1896 from the merger of the Danish Association of 1884 and the Danish North Church of 1894.
- Vink for Gennemlæsning af Bibelen(Blair, Nebraska. 1918) Which is translated into "tips for reading the bible" Danish
- Recollections of Our Church Work (published posthumously. United Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church: 1930) English
- Christiansen, Gottlieb Bender(Christian Cyclopedia. The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod) 
- The History of Trinity Lutheran Church (Trinity Lutheran Church of Blooming Prairie, Minnesota. by Gary Jacobson) 
- Owatonna Danish Lutheran Congregation (Norske lutherske menigheter i Amerika, 1843-1916 by Olaf Morgan Norlie. Augsburg Publishing House, Minneapolis, MN. 1918)
- Gottlieb Bender Christiansen (Pastors who have served Straight River/Brorson/Trinity Lutheran Congregation since 1871) 
- North American Medal Recipient Index (compiled by William P. Jones, J.D., M.A.) 
- Christensen, William E. Saga of the Tower: A History of Dana College and Trinity Seminary (Blair, Nebraska: Lutheran Publishing House, 1959)
- Petersen, Peter L. A Place Called Dana: The Centennial History of Trinity Seminary and Dana College (Blair, Nebraska: Dana College, 1984)
- Jensen, John M. The United Evangelical Lutheran Church: An Interpretation (Minneapolis: Augsburg Publishing House, 1964)
- Nyholm, Paul C. The Americanization of the Danish Lutheran Churches in America: A Study in Immigrant History (Minneapolis: Augsburg, 1963)
- Christiansen, Christopher S. - Great Great Great Grandson, Family Historian.