Goulburn Railway Workshops
Goulburn Locomotive Depot
The Goulburn Railway Workshops are located on the Main Southern line in Goulburn, New South Wales, Australia. The workshops were added to the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999.
A depot was built by the New South Wales Government Railways on the southern outskirts of the town when the line from Sydney was opened to Goulburn in May 1869. In 1918 a 42 road roundhouse opened.
The locomotive depot closed in July 1986 with its allocation of locomotives transferred to Junee Locomotive Depot, but remained as a stabling and refueling point for a few years. Goulburn City Council took out a lease on the roundhouse hoping to establish a national rail museum.
The Goulburn Roundhouse Museum became home to several preserved locomotives with the New South Wales Rail Transport Museum transferring 2419 from Thirlmere in August 1989. It now operates as the Goulburn Rail Heritage Centre.
In 1980 a wagon building and maintenance facility was constructed to the north of the roundhouse. In July 2006 this was transferred to UGL Rail. Following UGL Rail deciding to close the workshop in June 2010, in September 2010 Chicago Freight Car Leasing Australia signed a ten-year lease for the site to maintain both its locomotive and wagon fleets. As well as maintaining its own fleet, Chicago Freight Car Leasing Australia also perform maintenance for other operators including Aurizon.
- "Railway Workshops (former)". New South Wales State Heritage Register. Office of Environment and Heritage. H00601. Retrieved 2 June 2018.
- Goulburn railway group moveable relics Heritage Council of New South Wales
- "Goulburn Loco Closes" Railway Digest August 1986 page 239
- "Goulburn Loco Closure" Railway Digest September 1986 page 278
- "Goulburn Roundhouse" Railway Digest March 1990 page 115
- "Rail Transport Museum" Railway Digest October 1989 page 353
- UGL shuts up shop Goulburn Post 7 May 2010
- Bright Future for Goulburn Railway Workshops Chicago Freight Car Leasing Australia 2 September 2010
- Workshops roll ahead Goulburn Post 12 June 2012
- "Born in Chicago" Railway Digest November 2012 page 34