A gourmand fragrance is a perfume which consists primarily of synthetic edible (gourmand) notes such as honey, chocolate, vanilla or candy. These top and middle notes may be blended with non-edible basenotes such as patchouli or musk. They have been described as olfactory desserts. They are also called foodie fragrances. Gourmand scents can be worn by women or men.
Thierry Mugler's Angel, launched in 1992, is one example of a gourmand scent. Other examples for women include Aquolina's Pink Sugar, Lolita Lempicka's Lolita Lempicka, Hanae Mori's Butterfly, Chopard's Wish and Calvin Klein's Euphoria. Examples for men include Burberry's Brit for Men, Thierry Mugler's A*Men, Rochas's Rochas Man, Lolita Lempicka's Au Masculin and Viktor & Rolf's Antidote. The gourmand trend has steadily increased in popularity ever since 1992 but is not a new concept. In 1956, Edmond Roundnitska created Diorissimo to counter the contemporary preference for heavy, sweet notes, making it one of the first gourmand fragrances.
Most gourmand scents, such as those in the form of bath products, perfume or cologne, are not intended for human consumption. Other gourmand scents are not only scented but flavoured, such as Amoretti's line of products or Jessica Simpson's discontinued Dessert Treats. These scented products include other forms such as lip glosses, dusting powders and lotions.
Deo Perfume Candy is a sweet which, when eaten, perfumes the body from the inside out. According to bio scientist Professor Tim Jacobs, the sweets use the perfumed oil geritol as an active ingredient. This compound is excreted in the sweat a few hours after consumption. A daily packet's worth contains 100 calories.
Gourmand is considered a subcategory of the Modern family of fragrance. Gourmands may also work in combination with the Fruity family of fragrance.
- Vosnaki, Elena. "Lure of Gourmand Fragrances: Delicious Indulgences", Fragrantica.com Retrieved on 24 January 2013.
- Edwards, Michael. Fragrances of the World "Helpful Scent Guide"ThePoshPeasant.com
- "Olfactory Desserts : On Gourmand Fragrances « Bois de Jasmin". Boisdejasmin.com. 2011-08-24. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- "Gourmand Fragrances: Sweet Scents for Women and Men". Retailmenot.com. 2013-04-12. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Pyros, Andrea. Sweet on You: Incredible—almost edible—perfumes
- Wischhover, Cheryl. "Thierry Mugler's Angel Perfume Celebrates 20 Years in the US: A Look Back at the Scent and the Fashion Behind It". Fashionista. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- "Amoretti® Ingredients and Flavors | Products". Amoretti.com. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- "Dessert Treats Rock". Sites.google.com. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Quinn, Catherine. Deo Perfume Candy: Would you eat the new sweet that's also a deodorant? DailyMail.co.uk Retrieved 14 January 2013
- The Perfumed Court: Fragrance families Archived February 2, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.