This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2020)
|Type||Wholly owned subsidiary|
|Headquarters||London, England, UK|
Number of locations
|UK, Greece, Ireland & the Middle East|
|Products||New Zealand cuisine|
|£5.9 Mil 2022|
|Owner||Boparan Restaurant Group|
Number of employees
Gourmet Burger Kitchen (GBK) is a chain of luxury restaurants in the United Kingdom and Ireland specialising in gourmet burgers. There is a subtle Kiwi theme throughout the restaurants, a reference to the heritage of the original owners.
The company was started in London by New Zealanders Adam Wills, Greg Driscoll, and Brandon Allen in 2001. Chef Peter Gordon, a New Zealand-born, London-based chef, oversaw the menu development and the first restaurant opened in 2001, bringing the concept of 'gourmet burgers' to London. GBK is known for its "large" burgers, fresh produce and casual service style. The initial success of the Battersea restaurant led to further openings across London.
In 2005, the owners sold the business to Clapham House Group PLC who added a total of 53 restaurants across the UK. In 2010 the restaurant chain was sold to Capricorn Ventures, most notable for operating Nando's. GBK expanded to 60 restaurants across the UK, and had plans to continue growing. Franchises operate in Ireland, Dubai, Greece and Oman.
In October 2018, Gourmet Burger Kitchen reported a £47m loss amid tough trading conditions. Later that month, Gourmet Burger Kitchen announced plans to close 17 restaurants.
In October 2020, it was announced that Ranjit Singh Boparan had acquired the company from administration. However, as part of the deal, 26 restaurants would remain closed, with the loss of 362 jobs. 35 restaurants will remain open.
- Tobin, Lucy (30 September 2014). "Former PizzaExpress chairman puts an AIM listing on The Real Greek menu". Evening Standard. London. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
Page is famous for rising from being a dishwasher at PizzaExpress to manager, franchisee, chief executive and then chairman, before he set up Clapham House. It bought and then expanded Gourmet Burger Kitchen, The Real Greek and Bombay Bicycle Club before being taken over.
- "Nando's buys burger firm for £30m". BBC News. 17 September 2010. Retrieved 9 August 2020.
- "Famous Brands buys UK burger chain". IOL News. Reuters. 1 September 2016. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- "Another Burger Chain Is in Serious Trouble". Eater London. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Gourmet Burger Kitchen plans to close 17 stores to stay afloat". BBC News. 24 October 2018.
- "Ranjit Singh Boparan buys Gourmet Burger Kitchen in rescue deal". The Guardian. 14 October 2020.