June 26, 1943|
Jodhpur, Jodhpur State, British Raj
(now in Rajasthan, India)
|Doctoral advisor||Sukh Dev|
Academic and professional positions held
- Research Associate, Michigan State and the Ohio State Universities, USA,1967–69
- Lecturer & Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, 1969–77
- Professor, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad 1977–1998, Founder Dean 1977–86
- Vice-Chancellor, University of Hyderabad, 1994–98
- Hon. Professor, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, 1990–2009
- Srinivasa Ramanujan Research Professor, Indian National Science Academy, 1992–97
- Professor, Department of Organic Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science, 1998–2005
- Director, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 1998–2005
- CSIR Bhatnagar Fellow, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 2005–2010
- Chairman, National Accreditation and Assessment Council (NAAC), 2006–2012
- National Research Professor, 2009 –
- Chancellor, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad, 2011–
- Chancellor, University of Allahabad, 2012–
- Chairman, BoG, Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur
- Chairman, Indian Statistical Institute Council
- He is a recipient of the Indian Government's Padma Shri Award.
- He has received the French award of Légion d'honneur.
- In 1995, he became the first Indian scientist to receive the Alexander von Humboldt Research Award.
- He has received H.K. Firodia Award for Science & Technology.
- He is the recipient of Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar Award in Chemical Sciences.
- He has been conferred with Germany�s prestigious Cross of the Order of Merit (Bundesverdienstkreuz) Award.
- He is the chairman, Board of Governors, Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur
- He has been the president of Indian National Science Academy.
- He is a fellow of the Royal Society.
- He is a foreign member of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- He is the President of IUPAC.
- He was director of the Indian Institute of Science (1998–2005) and vice-chancellor of the University of Hyderabad (1994–1998).
- He has been appointed as National Research Professor by the Indian government.
- He is one the board of directors of the Institute of Life Sciences.
- "Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize: an inspiration for international recognitions" (PDF). Current Science. 107 (2): 164. 25 July 2014. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- "Prof. Goverdhan Mehta". Sphaerapharma.com. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- "Scientist's Visa Denial Sparks Outrage in India". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- Mehta, Goverdhan (28 October 2006). "Stereochemical Reassignment of Mehta and Kundu's Spiculoic Acid A Analogue". Organic Letters. 8 (24): 5537. doi:10.1021/ol062361a. PMID 17107066.
- Curly, Arrow. "Spiculoic Acid". curlyarrow.blogspot.in. Retrieved 2006-11-12.
- Totally, Synthetic. "Spiculoic Acid A Controversy". totallysynthetic.com. Retrieved 2006-11-15.
- Press Office, Michael Schwarz (23 June 2003). "University of Heidelberg". Uni-heidelberg.de. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- Goverdhan Mehta. "Goverdhan Mehta: Executive Profile & Biography – Businessweek". Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- "Building a nation of scientists". Rsc.org. 13 June 2007. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- "Goverdhan Mehta set to be National Research Professor". The Indian Express. 17 November 2009. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- ":: Institute of Life Sciences ::". Ilsresearch.org. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- "Homepage of Prof. Goverdhan Mehta". orgchem.iisc.ernet.in. Retrieved 2015-11-16.