Government agencies in Sweden
|This article needs to be updated. (November 2010)|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The government agencies in Sweden are state-controlled organizations who act independently to carry out the policies of the Government of Sweden. The ministries are relatively small and merely policy-making organizations, allowed to monitor the agencies and preparing decision and policy papers for the government as a collective body to decide upon.
A Cabinet Minister is explicitly prohibited from interfering with the day-to-day operation in an agency or the outcome in individual cases. The cardinal rule is that Ministers are not allowed to issue orders to agencies in their portfolio personally (with only a few exceptions) as the government agencies are subject to decisions made by the government, although the government cannot even directly overrule an agency in the handling of an individual case.
Other than the executive branch, the Riksdag also has a number of independent agencies.
- 1 The Riksdag
- 2 Ministry of Justice
- 3 Ministry for Foreign Affairs
- 4 Ministry of Defence
- 5 Ministry of Employment
- 6 Ministry of Enterprise, Energy and Communications
- 7 Ministry of Health and Social Affairs
- 8 Ministry of Finance
- 9 Ministry of Education and Research
- 10 Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries
- 11 Ministry of Culture
- 12 Defunct agencies
- 13 See also
- 14 References
- Sveriges Riksbank. (Official site) Sweden's central bank.
- Swedish National Audit Office, or Riksrevisionen. (Official site) The supreme audit institution of Sweden.
- The Parliamentary Ombudsman, or Justitieombudsmannen. (Official site) The ombudsman of the Riksdag.
Ministry of Justice
- Chancellor of Justice, or Justitiekanslern (JK). (Official site) Field of operations: Supervises those who are involved with public operations, it is responsible to the Government for protecting the rights of the State and it provides the Government with advice and surveys in legal matters.
- Swedish Commission on Security and Integrity Protection, or Säkerhets- och integritetsskyddsnämnden. (Official site) and Integrity Protection (Swedish: Säkerhets- och integritetsskyddsnämnden) Responsible for supervising law enforcement agencies' use of secret surveillance techniques, assumed identities and other associated activities.
- Swedish Consumer Agency, or Konsumentverket. (Official site) Field of operations: works with consumer issues in such fields as advertising, contract terms, consumer information, household finances and the safety, quality and environmental impact of goods.
- Swedish Crime Victim Compensation and Support Authority, or Brottsoffermyndigheten (BrOM). Located in Umeå. (Official site) Field of operations: examines crime victim compensation issues and allocates funds from the Fund for Victims of Crime.
- Swedish Data Protection Authority, or Datainspektionen (DI). (Official site) Field of operations: supervises the protection of individual privacy.
- Swedish Economic Crime Authority, or Ekobrottsmyndigheten. (Official site)
- Swedish Election Authority, or Valmyndigheten. Located in Solna. (Official site)
- Swedish Migration Agency, or Migrationsverket. Located in Norrköping. (Official site)
- Swedish National Board for Consumer Complaints, or Allmänna reklamationsnämnden. (Official site) Field of operations: acts as a court, the primary task of which is the impartial examination of disuptes between consumers and companies.
- Swedish National Board of Forensic Medicine, or Rättsmedicinalverket (RMV). (Official site) Field of operations: the central administrative agency for forensic mental care, forensic chemistry, forensic medicine and forensic gene-related operations.
- Swedish Board of Supervision of Estate Agents, or Fastighetsmäklarnämnden. (Official site) Field of operations: registration and supervision of estate agents.
- Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention, or Brottsförebyggande rådet (BRÅ) (Official site) Field of operations: promotes crime prevention, it is responsible for providing the official statistics for the judicial authorities.
- Swedish National Courts Administration, or Domstolsverket (DV). Located in Jönköping. (Official site) Field of operations: The National Courts Administration is the central administrative agency for the public courts, the legal courts, the regional tenancy tribunals, the regional rent tribunals and the National Legal Aid Authority.
- Swedish Legal Aid Authority, or Rättshjälpsmyndigheten Located in Sundsvall. Field of operations: administrates issues concerning legal aid in accordance with the Legal Aid Act.
- Swedish Police Authority, or Polismyndigheten. (Official site) Field of operations: The Swedish Police Authority is the central administrative agency for the police, it is also the principal agency for the National Forensics Centre
- Swedish Security Service, or Säkerhetspolisen. (Official site) Responsible for counter-espionage, counter-terrorism and counter-subversion.
- Swedish Prison and Probation Service, or Kriminalvården. Located in Norrköping. (Official site)
- Prosecutor-General of Sweden, or Riksåklagaren (RÅ). Field of operations: The office of Prosecutor-General is the public prosecutor in the Supreme Court, it represents the highest-ranking prosecutor and it is the central administrative agency for the prosecution authorities.
- Swedish Market Court, or Marknadsdomstolen. (Official site) Field of operations: special court, whose responsibilities include processing of cases and other legal issues under the Marketing Practices Act and the Competition Act.
- Swedish National Supervisory Board of Public Accountants, or Revisorsnämnden. (Official site) Field of operations: The Supervisory Board of Public Accountants deals with issues concerning the approval and authorisation of auditors, as well as the registration of auditing companies.
- Swedish National Gene Technology Advisory Board, or Gentekniknämnden. Located in Solna. (Official site) Field of operations: The Swedish Gene Technology Advisory Board shall promote an ethically justified and safe usage of gene technology through its advisory operations.
- Swedish Travel Guarantees Board, or Resegarantinämnden. Field of operations: responsible for decisions on the size of compensation to which travellers are entitled when package tours have been cancelled or broken off.
Ministry for Foreign Affairs
The Legations and Embassies in foreign countries, are under the direct authority and control of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Swedish National Export Credits Guarantee Board, or Exportkreditnämnden (EKN). (Official site)
- Folke Bernadotte Academy, or Folke Bernadotteakademin. Located on Sandö in Kramfors. (Official site)
- Swedish National Inspectorate of Strategic Products, or Inspektionen för strategiska produkter (ISP). (Official site)
- Swedish National Board of Trade, or Kommerskollegium. (Official site)
- Nordic Africa Institute, or Nordiska Afrikainstitutet. Located in Uppsala (Uppsala University). (Official site)
- Swedac (SWEDAC), formally Styrelsen för ackreditering och teknisk kontroll. Located in Borås. (Official site)
- Sida, formally Styrelsen för internationellt utvecklingssamarbete. (Official site)
- Swedish Institute, or Svenska institutet (SI). (Official site)
- Business Sweden, or Sveriges export- och investeringsråd. (Official site)
Ministry of Defence
- Swedish Armed Forces, or Försvarsmakten (FM). (Official site) The fundamental task of the Swedish Armed Forces is to prepare in peacetime to defend the country in war against armed attack that threatens its liberty and independence. It must be possible to counter attack from any quarter and to defend the whole country.
- Swedish Defence Materiel Administration, or Försvarets materielverk (FMV). (Official site)
- Swedish National Service Administration, or Pliktverket. Located in Karlstad. (Official site) The National Service Administration is responsible for enrolment, enlisting and administering those eligible for national service as conscripts and supporting training organizers during national service. Each year this involves enrolment of around 50,000 young men and testing a smaller number of women for enlistment.
- Swedish National Defence Radio Establishment, or Försvarets radioanstalt (FRA). Located in Bromma.
- Swedish Defence Research Agency, or Totalförsvarets forskningsinstitut (FOI). (Official site) The core activities of the Swedish Defence Research Agency are research, method and technology development and studies on behalf of the National Total Defence.
- Swedish Coast Guard, or Kustbevakningen (KBV). Located in Karlskrona. (Official site) The Swedish Coast Guard performs surveillance and other monitoring and control operations, as well as environmental emergency services at sea. Its tasks are wide-ranging. They include several policy areas for which different authorities are responsible.
- Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency, or Myndigheten för samhällsskydd och beredskap (MSB) (Official site) The Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency was established on 1 January 2009, with the purpose of unifying, coordinating, and supportive tasks prior to, during and after emergencies.
- Swedish Accident Investigation Board, or Statens haverikommission (SHK). (Official site)
Ministry of Employment
- The Equality Ombudsman (Diskrimineringsombudsmannen, DO)
- The Council for Employee Representation on Boards of Directors (Nämnden för styrelserepresentationsfrågor)
- The Council for the European Social Fund in Sweden, Swedish ESF Council (Rådet för Europeiska Socialfonden i Sverige, Svenska ESF-rådet)
- The Institute for Labour Market Policy Evaluation (Institutet för arbetsmarknadspolitisk utvärdering, IFAU)
- The Labour Court (Arbetsdomstolen)
- The National Advisory Board on Patent Rights and Compensation Settlements for Inventions at Work (Statens nämnd för arbetstagares uppfinningar)
- The National Mediation Office (Medlingsinstitutet, MI)
- The National Institute for Working Life (Arbetslivsinstitutet)
- The Swedish ILO Committee (Svenska ILO-kommittén)
- The Swedish Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen) (Official site)
- The Swedish Unemployment Insurance Board (Inspektionen för arbetslöshetsförsäkringen, IAF)
- The Swedish Work Environment Authority (Arbetsmiljöverket, AV)
Ministry of Enterprise, Energy and Communications
- Swedish National Institute for Working Life, or Arbetslivsinstitutet. (Official site)
- Swedish Employment Services, Arbetsmarknadsverket, Arbetsmarknadsstyrelsen, or Länsarbetsnämnderna. (Official site)
- Swedish National Electrical Safety Board, or Elsäkerhetsverket. (Official site)
- Swedish Government Seamen's Service, or Handelsflottans kultur- och fritidsråd (HKF). (Official site)
- Swedish Institute for Labour Market Policy Evaluation, or Institutet för arbetsmarknadspolitisk utvärdering. (Official site)
- Swedish Institute for Growth Policy Studies, or Institutet för tillväxtpolitiska studier. (Official site)
- Swedish Competition Authority, or Konkurrensverket. (Official site)
- Swedish National Mediation Office, or Medlingsinstitutet. (Official site)
- Swedish Patent and Registration Office, or Patent- och registreringsverket (PRV). (Official site)
- Swedish Post and Telecom Authority, or Post- och telestyrelsen (PTS). (Official site)
- Swedish National Space Board, or Rymdstyrelsen. (Official site)
- Swedish National Board of Forestry, or Skogsvårdsstyrelsen. (Official site)
- Swedish Energy Agency, or Statens energimyndighet (STEM). (Official site)
- Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute, or Statens väg- och transportforskningsinstitut (VTI). (Official site)
- Swedish Geological Survey, or Sveriges geologiska undersökning (SGU). (Official site)
- Swedish Agency for Innovation Systems, or Verket för innovationssystem (Vinnova). (Official site)
- Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth, or Tillväxtverket. (Official site)
- Swedish Transport Administration, or Trafikverket. (Official site)
- Swedish Transport Agency, or Transportstyrelsen. (Official site)
- Swedish Civil Aviation Administration, or Luftfartsverket. (Official site)
- Swedish Maritime Administration, or Sjöfartsverket. (Official site)
- Svenska Kraftnät. (Official site)
- Swedish Patent Court, or Patentbesvärsrätten.
Ministry of Health and Social Affairs
- Swedish National Alcoholic Beverages Product Range Board, or Alkoholsortimentsnämnden. (Official site) Ensures the state retail monopoly functions in a non-discriminatory manner.
- Medical Products Agency, or Läkemedelsverket (LV). (Official site) Responsible for regulatory control of pharmaceuticals, related medical products and drug information.
- Swedish Agency for Government Employers (SAGE), or Arbetsgivarverket. (Official site) Employers' organization responsible for central negotiations with trade unions on pay and employment conditions employees in the government sector.
- Swedish National Medical Responsibility Board, or Hälso- och sjukvårdens ansvarsnämnd. (Official site) Investigates and rules on cases involving malpractice in the health and medical sector.
- Swedish National Pharmaceutical Benefits Board, or Läkemedelsförmånsnämnden. (Official site)
- Swedish National Agency for Special Educational Support, or Statens institut för särskilt utbildningsstöd (Sisus). (Official site) Aims to improve educational opportunities for young people and adults with disabilities.
- Swedish National Board for Intercountry Adoptions, or Statens nämnd för internationella adoptionsfrågor (NIA). (Official site) Overall responsibility for intercountry adoptions.
- Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare, or Socialstyrelsen. (Official site). Supervises, plans, coordinates and monitors health, medical and social care services.
- Swedish National Board of Institutional Care, or Statens institutionsstyrelse (SiS). (Official site). Responsible for compulsory care of young offenders and young people with drug and alcohol problems at special treatment homes and institutions.
- Swedish Social Insurance Agency, or Försäkringskassan. (Official site) Local administration of social insurance.
- Ombudsman for Children in Sweden, or Barnombudsmannen. (Official site) Observes matters affecting the rights and interests of children and young people.
- Swedish Council for Working Life and Social Research, or Forskningsrådet för arbetsliv och socialvetenskap. (Official site) Promotes and supports basic and applied research in the fields of working life, social science and public science.
- Swedish National Council on Technology Assessment in Health care, or Statens beredning för utvärdering av medicinsk metodik (SBU). (Official site) Appraises the methods used in health care and makes objective assessments of costs, risks and benefits of these methods.
- Swedish Handicap Institute, or Hjälpmedelsinstitutet. (Official site) Assistive technology (testing, evaluation, research and development, information and training) and accessibility.
- Public Health Agency of Sweden, or Folkhälsomyndigheten. (Official site) The agency has a national responsibility for public health issues, and promote good public health by building and disseminating knowledge, to health care and others responsible for infectious disease control and public health.
Ministry of Finance
Economic Affairs Department
- Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency, or Kammarkollegiet. (Official site)
- Swedish National Institute of Economic Research, or Konjunkturinstitutet. (Official site)
- Swedish Fiscal Policy Council, or Finanspolitiska rådet. (Official site)
Fiscal Affairs Department
- Swedish National Tax Board, or Skatteverket. (Official site)
- Swedish Enforcement Administration, or Kronofogdemyndigheten. (Official site)
- Swedish Customs Service, or Tullverket. (Official site)
- Swedish National Accounting Standards Board, or Bokföringsnämnden. (Official site)
Financial Institutions and Markets Department
- Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority, or Finansinspektionen (FI). (Official site)
- Swedish National Debt Office, or Riksgäldskontoret. (Official site)
- Swedish National Deposit Guarantee Board, or Insättningsgarantinämnden (IGN). (Official site)
- Swedish Pensions Agency, or Pensionsmyndigheten. (Official site)
- Swedish National Pension Insurance Funds
- Swedish National Housing Credit Guarantee Board, or Statens bostadskreditnämnd (BKN). (Official site)
- Swedish National Board of Housing, Building and Planning, or Boverket. (Official site)
County Administrative Division
Commercially-operated Government Owned Companies
- Apoteket (Official site) Nationwide pharmacy and former monopoly.
- Bilprovningen (Official site) Former national monopoly for vehicle inspections.
- Statistics Sweden or Statistiska Centralbyrån (SCB). (Official site)
- National Property Board of Sweden, or Statens fastighetsverk (SFV). (Official site)
- Swedish National Fortifications Administration, or Fortifikationsverket (FortF). (Official site)
Ministry of Education and Research
Schools, children and youth
- Sami School Board of Sweden, or Sameskolstyrelsen. (Official site) Field of operation: administrative authority for the National Sami schools and other activities belonging to and regulated by the Sami School ordinance. Designed to offer the children of the Samis an education with a Sami focus.
- National Agency for Special Needs Education and Schools or "Specialpedagogiska skolmyndigheten". (Official site) Field of operation: The agency takes over the former functions of the National Agency for Special Educational Support, the Swedish Institute for Special Needs Education and the National Agency for Special Schools for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. Our aim is to ensure that children, young people and adults with disabilities will be able to develop and receive an education based on equality, participation, accessibility and companionship.
- Swedish National Agency for Education, or Skolverket. (Official site) Field of operation: work actively to ensure that national objectives for childcare and the school system are achieved. In order to gain insight into the various activities and to contribute to development, the National Agency for Education carries out follow-ups, evaluation, development, research and supervisory work.
- Swedish Institute for Children's Books, or Stiftelsen Svenska barnboksinstitutet. (Official site) Field of operation: a special library open to the public and an information centre for children's and young people's literature. The aim is to promote Swedish children's and young people's literature in Sweden as well as abroad.
- The Swedish Agency for Youth and Civil Society, or Myndigheten för ungdoms- och civilsamhällesfrågor. (Official site) Works to ensure that young people have access to influence and welfare, and support the government in issues relating to civil society policy.
- Swedish National Agency for Education, or Skolverket. (Official site) Field of operation: Work actively to ensure that national objectives for adult education are achieved. In order to gain insight into the various activities and to contribute to development, the National Agency for Education carries out follow-ups, evaluation, development, research and supervisory work.
- Swedish Agency for Flexible Learning, or Nationellt centrum för flexibelt lärande. (Official site) Field of operation: The Swedish Agency for Flexible Learning will promote the development and utilisation of flexible learning in municipal upper secondary education and adult education, liberal adult education and working life.
- Swedish Agency for Advanced Vocational Education, or Myndigheten för Kvalificerad yrkesutbildning (Official site) Field of operation: The Swedish Agency for Advanced Vocational Education has been directed by the Parliament to administrate and supervise this educational form on the national level. It is the Agency that approves applications and makes grants.
- Swedish National Council of Adult Education, or Folkbildningsrådet. (Official site) Field of operation: The Council distributes state grants to Study Associations and Folk High Schools, and also follows up and evaluates the activities within popular education organisations.
- The Universities in Sweden. (List with contact information) Field of operation: main duty is to organise higher education based on a scientific or artistic orientation and on proven experience and research, artistic and other development work.
- National board of Appeal for Higher Education, or Överklagandenämnden för högskolan. (Official site) Field of operation: Administration of matters of appeal on some decisions made by intsitutions of higher education (i.e universities).
- Swedish Net University Agency, or Myndigheten för Sveriges Nätuniversitet. (Official site) Field of operation: The Swedish Net University Agency is responsible for the Swedish Net University, a coordination project involving IT supported higher education distance learning courses and programmes given by universities and university colleges in Sweden.
- Swedish Council for Higher Education, or Universitets- och högskolerådet (UHR) (Official site) Primarily assigned to manage admissions to Swedish universities and university colleges, applications and development of the Swedish Scholastic Aptitude Test.
- The Swedish Higher Education Authority, or Universitetskanslersämbetet (UKÄ) (Official site) Quality assurance of higher education and appraisal of the degree-awarding powers of public-sector higher education institutions, and responsibility for statistics in the higher education sector.
Financial study support
- Swedish National Board of Student Aid, or Centrala studiestödsnämnden (CSN). (Official site) Field of operation: Administration of all matters regarding study support
- Swedish National Board of Appeal for Student Aid, or Överklagandenämnden för studiestöd. (Official site) Field of operation: Administration of matters of appeal for student aid and study support.
- Swedish Council for Working Life and Social Research, or Forskningsrådet för arbetsliv och socialvetenskap. (Official site) Field of operation: promote the accumulation of knowledge in matters relating to working life and the understanding of social conditions and processes.
- Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning, or Forskningsrådet för miljö, areella näringar och samhällsbyggande. (Official site) Field of operation: encourages and supports scientifically significant research related to sustainable development.
- Swedish Institute of Computer Science, or SICS. (Official site) Field of operation: to contribute to the competitive strength of industry by conducting advanced research in strategic areas of computer science, and to actively promote the use of new research ideas and results in industry and in society at large.
- Swedish Institute of Space Physics, or Institutet för rymdfysik. (Official site) Field of operation: a governmental research institute. The primary task is to carry out basic research, education, and associated observatory activities in space physics.
- The Royal Library, or Kungliga biblioteket (KB). (Official site) Field of operation: As the National Library, the Royal Library collects, describes, preserves and makes available all Swedish printed materials, and publications with Swedish associations published in other countries. The Royal Library is a central library authority with responsibility for coordinating Sweden's research libraries and for the Library Information System, LIBRIS.
- Swedish Polar Research Secretariat, or Polarforskningssekretariatet. (Official site) Field of operation: to promote and co-ordinate Swedish Polar research. Follow and plan research and development and to organise and lead expeditions to the Arctic and Antarctic regions.
- Swedish Council for Research and Development Co-operation in the European Communities, or Rådet för forsknings- och utvecklingssamarbete inom EU. (Official site) Field of operation: promote Sweden's participation within the EU Fifth Framework Program.
- Swedish National Archive of Recorded Sound and Moving Images, or Statens ljud- och bildarkiv (SLAB). (Official site) Field of operation: Archive of recorded sound and moving images.
- Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research, or Stiftelsen Strategisk Forskning. (Official site) Field of operation: promotes a broad use of IT in society, and supports research at Sweden's university colleges and new universities.
- Swedish Institute for Future Studies, or Stiftelsen Institutet för Framtidsforskning. (Official site) Field of operation: a research foundation that on its own or in collaboration with others carries on future studies, longterm analyses, to stimulate an open and broad discussion on future threats and prospects in the development of the society.
- Swedish Agency for Innovation Systems, or Verket för innovationssytem. (Official site) Field of operation: The Agency integrates research and development in technology, working life and society.
- Swedish Research Council, or Vetenskapsrådsrådet. (Official site) Field of operation: support basic, top-quality research, to ensure that Sweden is a leading research nation.
- Swedish National Commission for UNESCO, or Svenska Unescorådet. (Official site) Field of operation: co-ordinates Swedish participation in UNESCO's work and is not a division of the UN agency UNESCO
The Ministry of Education and Science is also principal to a number of smaller agencies, academies and associations that are not listed above.
Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries
- Swedish National Board of Agriculture, or Jordbruksverket. (Official site) Field of operations: agriculture, horticulture and reindeer husbandry.
- Swedish National Food Administration, or Livsmedelsverket. (Official site) Field of operations: Ensure quality of food is maintained.
- Swedish National Board of Fisheries, or Fiskeriverket. (Official site) Field of operations: fishery.
- Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, or Sveriges Lantbruksuniveristet. (Official site) Field of operations: universities, research.
- Swedish National Veterinary Institute, or Statens Veterinärmedicinska Anstalt (SVA). (Official site) Field of operations: diagnoisis and combating contagious animal diseases - research and prevention.
- Swedish Veterinary Disciplinary Board, or Veterinära ansvarsnämnden. (Official site) Field of operations: examines matters concerning disciplinary responsibility for veterinary surgeons and also the revoking of veterinary licences.
- Sami Parliament, or Sametinget. (Official site) Field of operations: The Sami Parliament is both a government agency and an elected parliament whose purpose is to promote the Sami culture.
- Sami Foundation Board, or Styrelsen för samefonden. Field of operations: the board's funds are to be used to promote reindeer husbandry, Sami culture and Sami organisations.
Ministry of Culture
General cultural activities
- Hanaholmen Cultural Centre for Sweden and Finland, or Hanaholmens kulturcentrum för Sverige och Finland.
- Swedish Arts Council, or Statens kulturråd. (Official site)
- Foundation Culture of the Future, or Stiftelsen framtidens kultur. (Official site)
- Foundation for Swedish-Norwegian Cooperation, or Svensk-norska samarbetsfonden
Language, literature, libraries and archives
- Book Industry Finance Institute, or Bokbranschens finansieringsinstitut. (Official site)
- Swedish Institute for Language and Folklore, formerly known as Swedish Institute for Dialectology, Onomastics and Folklore Research, or Institutet för språk och folkminnen. (Official site)
- Swedish National Archives and the Swedish Regional Archives, or Riksarkivet och landsarkiven. (Official site)
- Centre for Easy-to-Read, or Stiftelsen för lättläst nyhetsinformation och litteratur. (Official site)
- Swedish Biographical Dictionary, or Svenskt biografiskt lexikon. (Official site)
- Swedish Authors' Fund, or Sveriges författarfond. (Official site)
- Swedish Library of Talking Books and Braille, or Talboks- och punktskriftsbiblioteket. (Official site)
Visual arts, design and applied arts
- Royal Swedish Academy of Arts, or Akademien för de fria konsterna.
- Visual Art Collecting Society, or Bildkonst Upphovsrätt i Sverige (BUS).
- Swedish National Handicraft Council, or Nämnden för hemslöjdsfrågor.
- Public Art Agency Sweden, or Statens konstråd. (Official site)
Film, artists and heritage
- Swedish Film Institute, or "Svenska filminstitutet". (Official site)
- Swedish Arts Grants Committee, or Konstnärsnämnden. (Official site)
- Swedish National Heritage Board, or Riksantikvarieämbetet. (Official site)
- Swedish Television for the Deaf, or Dövas TV. (Official site)
- Nordicom. (Official site)
- Swedish Press Subsidies Council, or Presstödsnämnden. (Official site)
- Swedish Media Council, or Statens medieråd. (Official site)
- Swedish Broadcasting Corporation, or Sveriges Radio AB. (Official site)
- Sveriges Television. (Official site)
- Swedish Educational Broadcasting Company, or Sveriges Utbildningsradio. (Official site)
- Swedish Talking Newspapers Council, or Taltidningsnämnden. (Official site)
- Teracom. (Official site)
- Swedish Broadcasting Authority, or Myndigheten för radio och tv. (Official site)
Museums and exhibitions
- Swedish Centre for Architecture and Design. or ArtDes. (Official site)
- Bildmuseet. (Official site)
- Millesgården, or Carl och Olga Milles Lidingöhem. (Official site)
- Swedish Dance Museum, or Dansmuseet. (Official site)
- Drottningholm Theatre Museum, or Drottningholms teatermuseum. (Official site)
- Kiruna Centre for Conservation of Cultural Property, or Föremålsvård i Kiruna. (Official site)
- Jewish Museum of Sweden, or Judiska museet.
- The Royal Armoury, or Livrustkammaren. (Official site)
- Skokloster Castle, or Skoklosters slott. (Official site)
- Hallwyl Museum, or Hallwylska museet. (Official site)
- Moderna Museet. (Official site)
- Swedish National Museum of Fine Arts, or Nationalmuseum '. (Official site)
- Prince Eugen's Waldemarsudde, or Prins Eugens Waldemarsudde. (Official site)
- Swedish Museum of Natural History, or Naturhistoriska riksmuseet. (Official site)
- Nordic Museum, or Nordiska museet. (Official site)
- Swedish Exhibition Agency, or Riksutställningar. (Official site)
- Rooseum. (Official site)
- Röhss Museum, or Röhsska museet. (Official site)
- Skansen. (Official site)
- Swedish Army Museum, or Statens försvarshistoriska museer. (Official site)
- Swedish Museum of National Antiquities, or Statens historiska museer. (Official site) (Official site)
- Swedish National Museums of World Culture, or Statens museer för världskultur. (Official site)
- Swedish National Collections of Music, or Statens musiksamlingar. (Official site)
- Swedish National Maritime Museums, or Statens sjöhistoriska museer. (Official site)
- Strindberg Museum, or Strindbergsmuseet. (Official site)
- Swedish National Museum of Science and Technology, or Tekniska museet. (Official site)
- Thielska Galleriet. (Official site)
- Zorn Collections, or Zornsamlingarna. (Official site)
- Museum of Work, or Arbetets museum.
Theatre, dance och music
- House of Dance, or Dansens Hus. (Official site)
- Royal Dramatic Theatre, or Dramaten. (Official site)
- Royal Swedish Academy of Music, or Musikaliska akademien.
- Royal Swedish Opera, or "Kungliga Operan". (Official site)
- Riksteatern. (Official site)
- Swedish National Concert Institute, or Svenska rikskonserter. (Official site)
- Swedish Commission for State Grants to Religious Communities, or Samarbetsnämnden för statsbidrag till trossamfund.
Some historic government agencies have been merged with other agencies or simply closed down.
- Aliens Appeals Board of Sweden, or Utlänningsnämnden, UN. Discontinued and replaced by Migration Courts on March 31, 2006, when the new Aliens Act entered into force.
- Swedish National Board of Education, or Skolöverstyrelsen, governed primary and secondary schools. Was replaced by the Swedish National Agency for Education in 1991 when the responsibility for schools was transferred from the state to the municipalities.
- Swedish National Board of Universities and Colleges, or Universitets- och högskoleämbetet, was responsible for higher education until 1992 when the central agency was abolished. It was replaced with an agency with a considerably more limited field of operations, the Office of the Chancellor of the Swedish Universities, or Kanslersämbetet. The Swedish National Agency for Higher Education was set up July 1, 1995, incorporating the Office of the Chancellor, the Council for the Renewal of Undergraduate Education (Grundutbildningsrådet) and parts of the Swedish National Agency for Services to Universities.
- Swedish National Integration Board, or Integrationsverket. Located in Norrköping. Field of operations: The Swedish Integration Board to ensure that the visions and goals of Sweden’s integration policies have an impact in the various areas of society. Closed down on July 1, 2007.
- Swedish National Plant Variety Board, or Statens växtsortnämnd. Field of operations: issues relating to plant breeding and the admission of plants into the different classification lists. Made a part of the Swedish National Board of Agriculture on January 1, 2006.
- Swedish National Public Transport Agency, or Rikstrafiken on 1 April 2010.
- Swedish Seed Testing and Certification Institute, or Statens utsädeskontroll. Field of operations: seed testing. Made a part of the Swedish National Board of Agriculture on January 1, 2006.
- The State Institute for Racial Biology or Statens institut för rasbiologi. Field of operations: studying eugenics and human genetics. Established in 1922 and changed to State Institute for Human Genetics in 1958 and merged into Uppsala University.