Government College of Engineering, Amravati
|शासकीय अभियांत्रिकी महाविद्यालय, अमरावती|
|Motto||Towards Global Technological Excellence|
|Location||Amravati, Maharashtra, India|
Government College of Engineering, Amravati (GCOEA) is an autonomous(2008) engineering college affiliated to Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University in Amravati, Maharashtra, India. Established in 1964, it is one of the oldest engineering institutes in state of Maharashtra. Beside engineering education, it is recognized research center for Ph.D. Programs in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering for Amravati University. The student strength is around 1,700.
The college was established in 1964 by the Government of Maharashtra, along with other three Government colleges at Pune, Aurangabad, and Karad. It was initially affiliated to Nagpur University and later on shifted to Amravati University in 1982. The Institute started with three basic disciplines Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering initially. Subsequently, degree programs in Electronic & Telecommunication, Computer Science & Engineering, Instrumentation Engineering and Information Technology were added as per the demand and requirements of the country. The institute started part-time post graduate course in Electrical Power System in 1986 and later added four P.G. Courses in Thermal Power Engineering, Environmental, Geotechnical, and Electronics Systems and Communication. The institute also offers seven full-time PG programs in Electrical Power Systems, Structures, Thermal Power Engineering., Environmental Engineering., Advanced Electronics, Computer Engineering and Geotechnical Engineering.
College campus is spread over 114 acres of land on Amravati Walgaon road. Public Work Department is responsible for construction and maintenance of buildings. Every department has its own building. The institute has plans for five more department buildings of 9000 sq. m. area.
The college provides separate boys' and girls' hostels. There are two girls hostels-
- New Girls Hostel (established in 2014)
- Jijau Girls Hostel (established in 1994, intake capacity of 248)
and two boys hostels-
- Sahyadri boys hostel (established in 1981,intake capacity of 180)
- Satpuda boys hostel (established in 1980, intake capacity of 180) boys hostel.
Hostel admission is merit based. The institute has also planned two more hostels for girls and boys each.
GCOEA provides undergraduate as well as postgraduate education. There are total seven branches, listed by order of establishment:
- Electrical and Power Engineering (1964)
- Mechanical Engineering (1964)
- Civil Engineering (1964)
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering (1986)
- Computer Science and Engineering (1986)
- Instrumentation Engineering (1996)
- Information Technology (2001)
The institute ranked among top 50 institutes in India in last couple of years by multiple media house surveys. Recently it ranked 37 across India in 2016 survey done by India Today's. The institute was ranked 45 in Outlook India's Top Engineering Colleges of 2012 and 68 in Dataquest's Top Engineering Colleges in India of 2011. Earlier it was ranked 5th in the list of top engineering colleges situated in the Western side of India (excluding IITs).The latest ranking of the DQ 2012 shows a steep jump of 33 spots, relative to previous ranking, to 35 
Every February, students organize a National Level Technical Festival called Prajwalan .
It is the biggest annual event held by the institute which is considered as a Biggest Technical Festival of Central India. The techfest receives a cumulative footfall of more than 20000 students from all over India.
It witnesses association of Indian companies like Wipro, ONGC, SBI, IndiaBulls, Thermax etc. and multinaltionals like Cognizant, HJB(Hasan Juma), IRB etc.
It's a 2-days annual cultural festival celebrated under Gymkhana.It provides a platform to the students to reveal their art, cultural and social skills through different co-curricular activities. The CCA includes Persona, Aura of Art, Drama, Dance, Sugam Sangeet,etc. It is organized in the first week of February.
- Digital library
- Gymnasium indoor/outdoor stadiums
- Students' canteen
- Power backup though generator
- Modern data center with state of art technology and 10 Mbit/s internet connectivity
- Gibic backbone connectivity within all departments, hostels and& residence with secure access
- 256 line CDOT telephone exchange for intercom system
- Video Conferencing facility
- VOIP phones
- Student ERP system
Other Government Engineering Colleges (GEC's) in Maharashtra
- Government College of Engineering, Nagpur
- College of Engineering, Pune
- Government College of Engineering, Aurangabad
- Government College of Engineering, Chandrapur
- Government College of Engineering, Jalgaon
- Government College of Engineering, Karad
- Shri Guru Gobind Singhji Institute of Engineering and Technology, Nanded
- Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute, Mumbai
- Walchand College of Engineering, Sangli
- "About GCOEA".
- "Official page confirming accredition".
- "Hostel information".
- Cite error: The named reference
Rankings_OUTLOOKwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- Cite error: The named reference
Rankings_DQwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).