Government Law College, Kozhikode
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Fiat Justicia Ruat Coelum|
|Affiliations||Bar Council of India & University of Calicut|
The Government Law College, Kozhikode or Kozhikode Law College situated on the outskirts of Kozhikode, India, is owned by the Government of Kerala and affiliated to the University of Calicut. The college caters to the needs of the north Malabar region of Kerala. Students are selected through a state level entrance test. The college offers LL.B and LL.M courses.
The city has a court complex that is more than two centuries old. In 1970 the Government of Kerala started the third law college in the state in the city of Kozhikode in 1970. It was the first law college for the northern part of Kerala State. The college was started in the Government Training college buildings in the heart of the city.
The first principal was Prof M. Krishnan Nair and the first lecturer was Prof. Ramakrishnan. The first course started was LL.B and the first batch came out in 1973. In 1976 an LL.M Course was started with Law of Taxation as special subject.
In 1982 the college shifted to its own campus. The new campus has an academic block, research block and separate hostels for boys and girls. In the near future the college will have annexure for the academic block and library. In 1984 the five year LL.B course was started. At present the college is holding LL.B five year and three year courses and the LL.M course. All the courses are held by the Government of Kerala and are affiliated to the University of Calicut. The college has produced legal experts including judges, successful lawyers, law officers, legal academicians etc. Dr.V R Jayadevan is the present Principal .
The College offers 5 year integrated BBA, LLB ( Honours ), 3 year LLB and LLM courses.
The college campus has the following blocks.
- Academic Block houses the LL.B LL.M classrooms.
- Administrative block houses the moot court hall, principal's office, audiovisual room, computer lab, staff rooms, college office and auditorium.
- The Library Block – The college has a library with fifteen thousand law books, and more than 30 types of legal and non legal periodicals. There are separate sections for UGC extension library and a book bank for the backward community and SC&ST students. The library is completely automated.
- The Research Center is equipped with networked computers housed in a separate building, financed by the MP fund. The center researches activities related to cyber laws and laws relating to computer application and electronic media. The Centre will hold advance and applied level research in the specified areas. The Publication of a Cyber Law Journal also is in the agenda of the center.
- The Hostels – There are two separate hostels for the boys and girls, each accommodating 100 students.
- Play ground
- Badminton Court
The college provides instructions to candidates preparing for the LL.B degree examinations (3 year and 5 year). The course of study and syllabi is in accordance with that laid down by the University of Calicut.
The 3-year LLB course is divided into 6 semesters and the 5-year course is divided into 10 semesters which is an integrated dual degree course of B.B.A.LL.B.
The college provides instructions to candidates preparing for the LL. M. Degree Examination of the University of Calicut in Taxation Law. The course of study and syllabi are in accordance with those laid down by the university.
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (February 2018)
- A.K. Balan, Minister for Law, Cultural Affairs, Parliamentary Affairs
- M. P. Abdussamad Samadani, MLA and former MP
- P. Sathidevi, Ex MP
- A. Vijayaraghavan, Leftist politician and former Member of Parliament, Rajyasabha
- P. T. Thomas, MLA, Indian National Congress
- Mullappally Ramachandran, MP, Indian National Congress
- P. T. A. Rahim, MLA
- Gopinath Muthukad, Magician, Escapologist, Life coach, and Motivational Speaker
- P. S. Sreedharan Pillai, Politician
- SK Sajeesh, Indian Politician, Kerala Tourism Promotion Council Executive member 2017, Treasurer, Kerala State Committee of the Democratic Youth Federation of India(DYFI)
- Government Law College, Thrissur
- Government Law College, Ernakulam
- Government Law College, Thiruvananthapuram
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Government Law College, Kozhikode.|