Government Legal Service
The Treasury Solicitor (currently Jonathan Jones) is also the Head of the Government Legal Service. GLS lawyers are mostly employed by the Government Legal Department, although based in other government departments, with some being directly employed by the department in which they work. The GLS brand is used primarily for recruitment purposes and offers training and support to GLS lawyers. The GLS Secretariat supports the work of lawyers across the GLS by providing central library services and for an intranet system, Legal Information Online Network, or LION, which can be accessed by all government lawyers, and gives access to commercial legal databases and information and articles relevant to government legal work.
Lawyers in the Government Legal Service:
- instruct Parliamentary Counsel to draft almost all United Kingdom primary legislation;
- draft the vast majority of statutory instruments and secondary legislation in the UK;
- ensure European Union law is correctly implemented into UK law;
- advise departments of the United Kingdom Government on the formulation and implementation of policy;
- provide litigation services to departments of the United Kingdom Government and the wider public sector.
- Government Legal Service official website
|This article relating to law in the United Kingdom, or its constituent jurisdictions, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to government in the United Kingdom or its constituent countries is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|