Governor's Bridge (Patuxent River)
|Carries||Governor's Bridge Road|
|Owner||State Roads Commission|
|Heritage status||Historic American Engineering Record,
Maryland Historical Trust
|Total length||105 feet 6 inches (32.16 m)|
|Width||13 feet 7 inches (4.14 m)|
Governor's Bridge is an historic single-lane bridge over the Patuxent River near Bowie, Maryland. The river marks the boundary between Prince George's and Anne Arundel counties. A bridge has been located on this site since the mid-18th century.
Three bridges have stood on this site.
By 1817, the first bridge had been damaged beyond repair or destroyed and a ford was being used to traverse the river at the site. On February 4, 1817, the State of Maryland commissioned Joseph N. Stockett and James Sanders of Anne Arundel County to build a new Governor's Bridge.
The current truss bridge was constructed in 1912.
The bridge was repaired in 2014 after structural deficiencies were discovered during a routine inspection. It was closed in May 2013, underwent major repairs starting in January 2014, and reopened in March 2014.
- Lavoie, Catherine C. (1992). "Governor's Bridge" (PDF). Historic American Engineering Record. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress. pp. 1–2. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- Maryland Historical Trust Property Number PG-74B-1 & AA-85I (PDF), Maryland Inventory of Historic Bridges, retrieved 5 January 2013
- "162". Laws Made and Passed by the General Assembly of the State of Maryland: An act to provide for building Bridges over Patuxent River. State of Maryland. 1817. pp. 178–179.
- Pompi, Jenni (April 26, 2013). "Emergency Repairs Close Governor's Bridge Road Bridge: The bridge was temporarily closed by Prince George's County on Friday afternoon". Bowie Patch. Planck LLC d/b/a Patch Media. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- "Governors Bridge Road Bridge Re-Opens" (Press release). Largo, Maryland: Prince George’s County Department of Public Works and Transportation (DPW&T). March 7, 2014. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- Pratt, Tim (March 31, 2015). "Governor Bridge Road bridge closed over Patuxent River". Capital Gazette. Retrieved April 17, 2015.
- McNamara, John (13 April 2016). "Governor's Bridge won't re-open until 2019". The Capital. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) No. MD-85, "Governor's Bridge, Governor's Bridge Road spanning Patuxent River, Bowie, Prince George's County, MD", 1 photo, 1 data page, 1 photo caption page