Governor of the Bank of Canada
|Governor of the Bank of Canada|
|Gouverneur de la Banque du Canada|
|Bank of Canada|
|Reports to||Minister of Finance|
|Appointer||Board of Directors|
with Governor in Council approval
|Term length||Seven years, renewable|
|Constituting instrument||Bank of Canada Act|
|First holder||Graham Towers|
|Deputy||Senior Deputy Governor|
The governor of the Bank of Canada (French: gouverneur de la Banque du Canada) is the chief executive officer of the Bank of Canada and acts as chair of its board of directors. The Bank of Canada Act, 1985, S. 6(1), provides that the governor and deputy governor shall be appointed by the directors with the approval of the Governor in Council.
Roles and responsibilities
- The governor and deputy governor sign each series of Canadian banknotes.
- The governor is ex-officio the alternate voter on the International Monetary Fund.
Governors and Senior Deputy Governors of the Bank of Canada
|1||Graham Towers||1934 – 1954|
|2||James Coyne||1955 – 1961|
|3||Louis Rasminsky||1961 – 1973|
|4||Gerald Bouey||1973 – 1987|
|5||John Crow||1987 – 1994|
|6||Gordon Thiessen||1994 – 2001|
|7||David A. Dodge||2001 – 2008|
|8||Mark Carney||2008 – 2013|
|9||Stephen Poloz||2013 – 2020|
|10||Tiff Macklem||2020 – present|
Senior Deputy Governors of the Bank of Canada
|1||John Robert Beattie||1970 – 1971|
|2||Gerald Bouey||1972 – 1973|
|3||R. William Lawson||1973 – 1984|
|4||John Crow||1984 – 1987|
|5||Gordon Thiessen||1987 – 1994|
|6||Bernard Bonin||1994 – 1999|
|7||Malcolm Knight||1999 – 2003|
|8||Paul Jenkins||2003 – 2010|
|9||Tiff Macklem||2010 – 2014|
|10||Carolyn Wilkins||2014 – 2020|
|11||Carolyn Rogers||2021 - Present|
|Note: The position of Senior Deputy Governor was created in 1970, with its responsibilities previously divested in one or more Deputy Governors.|
- Canada, Government of (November 20, 2017). "Organization Profile - Bank of Canada". appointments.gc.ca. Retrieved March 28, 2020.
- "BANK OF CANADA ACT" (PDF).
- "Tiff Macklem Appointed Governor of the Bank of Canada". www.bankofcanada.ca. Retrieved June 23, 2020.
- "Historical Leadership at the Bank of Canada". www.bankofcanada.ca. Retrieved March 28, 2020.
- "Carolyn Rogers named senior deputy governor of the Bank of Canada". Retrieved July 21, 2021.