Governor of the Netherlands Antilles
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the Netherlands Antilles
The Governor of the Netherlands Antilles was the representative of the Government of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in the Netherlands Antilles and the head of the National Government of the Netherlands Antilles.
With the introduction of the Statute for the Kingdom of the Netherlands in 1954, the powers, obligations and responsibilities of the Governor as an organ of the Kingdom of the Netherlands were regulated in the Regulations for the Governor. Article 15, paragraph 1 reads:
The Governor represents the Government of the Kingdom and guards the general interest of the Kingdom in accordance with the provisions and regulations and with due observance of changes to be indicated by or pursuant to Royal Decrees. He is accountable to the Government of the Kingdom.
The Governor is therefore authorized, within the limits of these regulations and the instruction of the Crown, to act on behalf of the Kingdom Government.
According to the Constitution, the Governor, as a representative of the King, is the head of the Government of the Netherlands Antilles. As the head of the Government, the Governor is immune. The Governor exercises the executive power under the responsibility of the Ministers, who are responsible to the Estates of the Netherlands Antilles. As such, the Governor does not have any independent authority.
On 10 October 2010 the Netherlands Antilles were dissolved. Curaçao and Sint Maarten have their own governors now, while Bonaire, Eustatius and Saba joined the Netherlands as special municipalities. This means that the position of Governor of the Netherlands Antilles was abolished; the last Governor of the Antilles became the first Governor of Curaçao.
List of Governors since 1848
- 1848 – 1854: Isaäc Johannes Rammelman Elsevier Jr.
- 1854 – 1856: Jacob Bennebroek Gravenhorst (a.i.)
- 1856 – 1859: Reinhart Frans van Lansberge
- 1859 – 1866: Johannes Didericus Crol
- 1866 – 1870: Abraham Mathieu de Rouville
- 1870 – 1877: Herman François Gerardus Wagner
- 1877 – 1880: Hendrik Bernardus Kip
- 1880 – 1882: Johannes Herbert August Willem baron van Heerdt tot Eversberg
- 1882 – 1890: Nicolaas van den Brandhof
- 1890 – 1901: Charles Augustinus Henry Barge
- 1901Theodorus Isaak Andreas Nuyens :
- 1901 – 1909: Jan Olpbert de Jong van Beeken Donk
- 1909John Brown Gorsira :
- 1909 – 1919: Theodorus Isaak Andreas Nuyens
- 1919 – 1921: Oscar Louis Helfrich
- 1921John Brown Gorsira :
- 1921 – 1928: Nikolaas Johannes Laurentius Brantjes
- 1928 – 1929: Marius van Dijk (a.i.)
- 1929Leonardus Albert Fruytier :
- 1929 – 1930: Herman Bernard Cornelis Schotborgh
- 1930 – 1936: Bartholomaeus Wouther Theodorus van Slobbe
- 1936Frans Adriaan Jas (a.i.) :
- 1936 – 1942: Gielliam Johannes Josephus Wouters
- 1942 – 1948: Piet Kasteel
- 1948Cornelius Süthoff :
- 1948 – 1951: Leonard Antoon Hubert Peters
- 1951 – 1956: Teun Struycken
- 1956 – 1957: Frans E.J. van der Valk
- 1957 – 1961: Antonius B. Speekenbrink
- 1961 – 1962: Christiaan Winkel
- 1962A.P.J. van Bruggen :
- 1962 – 1970: Nicolaas Debrot
- 1970 – 1983: Bernadito M. Leito
- 1983 – 1990: René A. Römer
- 1990 – 2002: Jaime Saleh
- 2002 – 2010: Frits Goedgedrag