This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Schilling was born in Meerkerk. In 1982, he became the program leader at the former Zeiss Planetarium, Amsterdam.
From 1987 to 1998 he was also a part-time appointee as a program leader at the Artis Planetarium in Amsterdam.
The asteroid 10986 Govert is named after him.
He is the author of a number of bestselling books.
He has frequently collaborated with Lars Lindberg Christensen.
- Europe to the Stars: ESO's first 50 years of exploring the southern sky
- Atlas of Astronomical Discoveries
- Evolving Cosmos
- Eyes on the Skies: 400 Years of Telescopic Discovery
- The Hunt for Planet X: New Worlds and the Fate of Pluto
- Flash!: The Hunt for the Biggest Explosions in the Universe
- Ripples in Spacetime: Einstein, Gravitational Waves and the Future of Astronomy
- Schilling, Govert (June 2001). "Deep-Space 'Filament' Shows Cosmic Fabric". Science – via HighBeam Research (subscription required).