Gower College Swansea
|Type||Further Education College|
|Location||Swansea, West Glamorgan, Wales|
Gower College Swansea (Welsh: Coleg Gŵyr Abertawe) is a further education college in Swansea, Wales. It was formed in 2010 by the merger of Gorseinon College and Swansea College Mark Jones, previously principal of Bridgend College, became principal in July 2013 The college's vision is "To be the best college in Wales".
The college campuses
The college provides further education and other training courses from several campuses and venues in the area.
- GCS Training
- Gorseinon campus
- Llwyn y Bryn
- Sketty Hall
- Tycoch campus
In 2015 the overall A-level pass rate was 98%, above the Welsh national average. Of these passes, 81% were at the higher grades of A* to C and 57% at grades A* to B, both increases on 2014. International A-level students achieved a 100% pass rate, with 67% achieving A* or A grades.
The college is overseen by twenty governors who form the Corporation Board.
The college has a number of sports academies that enable full-time students to develop skills in football, rugby, netball, hockey and cricket. Sports scholarships are available.
Higher education courses
- Analytical and Forensic Science; Foundation Degree (Level 4/5)
- Health and Social Care; BSc Hons (Level 4/5)
- Health and Social Care; HND (Level 4)
- Spa Management and Advanced Therapies; Foundation Degree (Level 5)
- Sports Science; HND (Level 5)
The college charity
The Kenya Community Education Project was set up in 2003 and is largely run by students of the College. This project aims to raise money to maintain a feeding programme for over 120 of the poorest pupils at Madungu Primary School in Kenya. In addition, it aims to pay the salaries of two teachers and supply them with a variety of educational materials. The college holds an annual Kenya Project Day but fund raising continues throughout the year.
Members of the project have a chance to go to the Kenyan school every other year.
- Gorseinon College - News - 5 February 2010
- Swansea College - News - 5 February 2010
- New name for merged Gorseinon and Swansea colleges - News report 5 February 2010
- "Governance". Gower Swansea College.
- "College Sports Academies". Swansea Gower College. Retrieved 18 September 2016.