||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Written like travel guide (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|• Revised Romanization||Goyang-si|
Location in South Korea
|Administrative divisions||3 gu, 35 dong|
|• Total||267.29 km2 (103.20 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,014.6/km2 (10,398/sq mi)|
Goyang city (Goyang-si; Korean pronunciation: [ko.jaŋ]) is located north of Seoul (the capital of South Korea), and the city can be easily accessed through Seoul Ring-Express and Jayuro Expressway within 20 minutes. The city has become an exemplary leader among other cities in South Korea, in areas such as regional economic vitalization, environmental friendly residential areas, and convenient transportation systems. The city is well-known as the site of Ilsan New Town.
In sports, the city was home to the K League Challenge football team Goyang Zaicro FC until its disbandment in 2016. Challengers League football team Goyang Citizen FC and Korean Basketball League team Goyang Orion Orions are based in the city.
Places to visit
- Bukhansanseong Fortress
- Heungguksa Temple
- UNESCO World Heritage Seosamneung and Seooreung Royal Tombs
- Haengju seowon (Confucial Academy)
- Ilsan Bamgasi Choga (Straw-roofed House)
- Goyang Aram Nuri Arts Center
- Goyang Oulim Nuri Arts Center
- Aerospace Museum
- Baedari Korean Traditional Wine Museum
- Theme Zoo Park "Zoo Zoo"
- Cultural Center and Museum of Latin America
- Nongshim Theme Park
Entertainment and shopping
- MBC Dream Center
- SBS Broadcasting Center
- Western Dorm
- Lotte Department Store
- Hyundai Department Store
- New-Core Outlet
- Bukhan Mountain
- Jeongbal Mountain
- Go Bong Mountain
- Lake Park
- Goyang Sports Complex
- Endra Sofiyan Comunyti
- Haengjusanseong Fortress Sun Rise Festival
On New Year's Day each year, a splendid festival is thrown at Haengju Sanseong to welcome the New Year's Day sunrise.
Time: 5:00-9:00 AM on New Year's Day each year Place: The top of the mountain where Haengju Sanseong sits.
- The Great Battle of Haengju Festival
The event is held to commemorate an important victory in Korean history (14 March) at Haengju Sanseong. Elementary school kids and their parents from the neighborhood can watch memorial services for patriotic martyrs of the nation and learn about the history of Haengju Sanseong.
Time: 10 AM on 14 March each year Place: Chungjang Shrine at Haengju Sanseoeng
Floricultural industry sprang up in the early 1970s fostering flower culture in Korea. Goyang became one of the most famous cities for its floricultural industry and its flower show grew into a horticultural event representing Korea and a venue for trading among participants at home and from abroad.
-Time: early April each year -Place: Areas surrounding Ilsan Lake Park
- Goyang Lake Art Festival
The event is free-style arts festival held at various locations around the Lake Park. Imagination and wits of artists getting out of the constraints imposed by stages fill the streets with vigor and romantic mood. Various performing arts including jazz, mime, dance, drama and installation arts decking out the venue with colorful decorations to add glamour, passionate performance by famous theatrical companies from around the world and fancy fireworks all let the cheerful spectators enjoy the excitement thrown by the festival.
Time: October each year Place: locations around the Lake Park
Goyang is served by a bike sharing system which stands at around 3,000.
Notable people from Goyang
- Do Kyung-soo – member of EXO
- Empress Gi – empress of the Yuan dynasty
- Eunhyuk – member of Super Junior
- Heo Young-ji – past member of KARA
- Im Jae-bum – member of GOT7
- Jang Mi-ran – weightlifter
- Junsu – member of JYJ
- Kang Min-hyuk – drummer of CN Blue
- Kim Dasom – member of Sistar
- Kim Hyun-joo – actress
- Kim Nam-joon – member of Bangtan Boys
- Kwon Yuri – member of Girls' Generation
- Lee Junho – member of 2PM
- Lee Jung-shin – bassist of CN Blue
- Lee Sungmin – member of Super Junior
- Song Ji-hyo – actress
- Yoon Doo-joon – member of B2ST
- Yuju – member of GFriend
- Maui, Hawaii, United States
- Heerhugowaard, Netherlands
- Qiqihar, Heilongjiang, People's Republic of China
- San Bernardino, California, United States
- Atibaia, São Paulo, Brazil
- List of cities in South Korea
- Geography of South Korea
- Seoul National Capital Area
- Goyang Geumjeong Cave Massacre
- "국외 자매결연도시". Goyang City. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Goyang.|