Gráinne (given name)
Gráinne in a Gaelic type.
|Meaning||Sunshine, or, "of the Sun"|
|Anglicisation(s)||Grace, Gertrude, Gertie|
|See also||Grania, Granya|
Gráinne is a feminine given name in the Irish language. The name is of an uncertain origin, although it is possible that it may be connected with the word "Ghrian", meaning "the Sun". In Irish legend, Deorghrianne (a Tear of the Sun), is the daughter of Fiachna, Son of Betach. The name is also borne by a famed character in Irish mythology—Gráinne, who was the daughter of Cormac mac Airt, a legendary High King of Ireland.
The name can be Latinised as Grania; and can be Anglicised as Granya. The name Gráinne can also be represented in English as Grace, Gertrude, and Gertie. These English names are etymologically unrelated to Gráinne. Gráinne is pronounced as 'Grawn-ya' in all dialects bar Ulster Irish where it is pronounced as 'Grah-nya'.
Bearers of the name
- Gráinne, daughter of Cormac mac Airt
- Gráinne Ní Maghnusa, Queen of Moylurg, died 1317.
- Gráinne Ní Ruairc, died 1416.
- Gráinne Ní Diarmata, Lady O'Connor Roe, died 1417.
- Gráinne Ní Neill, Queen of Tír Chonaill, died 1429.
- Gráinne Ní Cheallaigh, Queen of Thomond, died 1440.
- Gráinne Ní Daimin, died 1444.
- Gráinne Ní Maghnusa, died 1454.
- Gráinne ingen Aedha, died 1456.
- Gráinne ingen Tomáis Oig Meg Uidhir, died 1462.
- Gráinne Ballach Níc Uidhir, Princess of Fir Manach, died 1463.
- Gráinne Bean Uí Donnchaidh, Lady of Tirailill, died 1463.
- Gráinne Ní Conchobair, Lady Mac David, died 1473.
- Gráinne Níc Uidhir, died 1476.
- Gráinne Bean Uí Maghnusa, died 1497.
- Gráinne Ní Fhlannagain of Termuinn Da Bheoig, died 1499.
- Gráinne Níc Maghnusa, daughter of Thomas, born 22 December 1500.
- Gráinne Níc Uidhir, died 1507.
- Gráinne Ní Eoghain, died 1521.
- Gráinne Níc Uidhir, daughter of King of Fer Managh, died 1529.
- Gráinne Ní Mháille (c.1530-c.1603), Queen of Umaill, Chieftain of the Clan Ó Máille, and pirate. Also known as 'The Pirate Queen'
- Gráinne Óg Ní Uiginn, died 1540.
- Gráinne Bean Uí Ruairc, died 1551.
- Gráinne Ní Bhriain Ara, died 1582.
- Grainne Kenny, President of Europe Against Drugs
- Gráinne Conole Irish academic, born 1964.
- Gráinne Mulvey, Irish composer, born 1966.
- Gráinne Seoige, television presenter, born 1973.
- Grainne Duffy, singer-songwriter
- Grainne Kierans, (born 1978), Irish, international footballer.
- Grainne Leahy (born 1966), Irish cricketer
- Gráinne Faller, Irish Times journalist
- Grainne McGoldrick, Irish, camogie player.
- Gráinne Murphy, Irish swimmer, born 1993.
- Hanks, Patrick; Hardcastle, Kate; Hodges, Flavia (2006), A Dictionary of First Names, Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.), Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 110, 113, 349, ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1
- Gráinne, Library Ireland (www.libraryireland.com), retrieved 9 November 2010 which is a transcription of: Woulfe, Patrick (1923), Irish Names and Surnames
|given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.This page or section lists people that share the same|