Grünwald castle in the Isar valley
|• Mayor||Jan Neusiedl (CSU)|
|• Total||7.63 km2 (2.95 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,400/km2 (3,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Grünwald (German for green forest) is a municipality in the district of Munich, in Bavaria, Germany. It is located on the right bank of the Isar, 12 km southwest of Munich (centre). As of 31 December 2011[update] it had a population of 11,109.
Grünwald is best known for its medieval castle Grünwald (Burg Grünwald), for the Bavaria Film Studios (one of Europe's biggest and most famous movie production studios), and as a domicile for many prominent and rich people (Grünwald is the wealthiest municipality in Germany). The castle today houses a branch of the Bavarian Archaeological Museum.
- Louis X. (1495–1545), born in Grünwald, Duke of Bavaria
- Helmut Ringelmann (1926-2011), German film and television producer
- Sep Ruf, German architect
- Carlos Kleiber, Austrian conductor.
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). October 2015.
- 1972 Summer Olympics official report. Volume 1. Part 1. pp. 108, 122.
|This Munich district location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|