Grace, Lady Manners
Grace Pierrepont was the daughter of Sir Henry Pierrepont, a Knight of the Garter, and Frances Cavendish. Her maternal grandparents were Rt. Hon. Sir William Cavendish and Bess of Hardwick. Grace's brother was Robert Pierrepont, born in 1584, who became the 1st Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull. Grace's sister, Elizabeth, married Thomas Erskine, 1st Earl of Kellie.
Grace was married to Sir George Manners on 1 August 1593. She had five children:
- John Manners, 8th Earl of Rutland (1604-1679)
- Elizabeth Manners, who married Robert Sutton, 1st Baron Lexinton of Aram
- Eleanor Manners, who married Lewis Watson, 1st Baron Rockingham, and had children
- Frances Manners (died 1652), who married Nicholas Saunderson, 2nd Viscount Castleton, and had children
- Dorothy Manners, who married Sir Thomas Lake
Her body is interred in Bakewell Parish Church.
- G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume XI, page 263.
- Mosley, Charles, editor. Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes. Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003. Page 3447
- Leslie Stephen (1893). DNB. Smith, Elder, & Company. p. 51.
- Journal of the Derbyshire Archaeological and Natural History Society. The Society. 1919. p. 83.
|This biography of a peer, peeress or noble of the United Kingdom, or one or more of its constituent countries, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This English biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|