Grace Jones (supercentenarian)
|Born||Grace Adelaide Jones
7 December 1899
Bermondsey, London, England
|Died||14 November 2013
(aged 113 years, 342 days)
|Residence||Bermondsey, London, England|
|Known for||Oldest living person in the UK
(29 February 2012 – 14 November 2013)
Grace Adelaide Jones (7 December 1899 – 14 November 2013) was a British supercentenarian, who was the oldest verified living person in the United Kingdom and the world's seventh oldest living person until her death at the age of 113 years, 342 days. She was the last known living British person to have been born in the 1800s.
Jones was born in Bermondsey, London on 7 December 1899, one of eight siblings. She never married, but was engaged before her fiancé Albert Rees was killed in World War I at 19. Jones said that she never married as she never found anyone as nice as Rees.
Jones attributed her longevity to "'good, English food, never anything frozen", and lived alone in a flat in her native Bermondsey. On 2 December 2011, five days before her 112th birthday, a thief broke into her flat and stole her £300 pension. Another attempted robbery occurred the following day. On her 112th birthday she remarked, "I don't know if I can recover. It takes its toll. He got in and he robbed me. Another one tried on Saturday to get in. I'm frightened." A third burglary happened on 24 January 2012. A man was arrested in connection with the latter two burglaries and sentenced to jail.
Having outlived all of her family and friends, Jones considered her neighbours to be her family: "They are my family now, and they know it. They are very good to me." Jones celebrated her 113th birthday with neighbours and her local Member of Parliament Simon Hughes.
- "Validated Living Supercentenarians". Gerontology Research Group.
- "Grace Jones, Britain's Oldest Person, Celebrates Christmas". The Huffington Post. December 25, 2012.
- "Oldest person in UK Grace Jones dies aged 113". BBC News. 14 November 2013.
- Graces Jones, Britain's oldest person, and the quest for eternal life | Big Issue
- Hannah Furness (4 July 2012). "Burglar who stole from Britain's oldest woman is jailed". London: The Telegraph. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Britain's oldest woman, 112, who survived the Blitz and lost her fiancÃ© in the trenches left too scared to leave her home after being targeted by cowardly thief". Daily Mail (London).
- Amazing Grace! Britain's oldest person enjoys her 113th Christmas by going out for turkey dinner
|Oldest person in the United Kingdom
29 February 2012 – 14 November 2013