Grace King High School
|Grace King High School|
|4301 Grace King Place
Metairie, Louisiana 70002
|Motto||Luck of the Irish|
|School district||Jefferson Parish Public Schools|
|Superintendent||James Meza Jr.|
|Color(s)||Hunter green, white, & gold|
|Mascot||The Fighting Irish (Also known as Lucky)|
Grace King High School is a public high school located in Metairie, unincorporated Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, United States. It is a part of the Jefferson Parish Public Schools and serves portions of Metairie and Kenner.
Grace King was built in the late 1960s as a high school, opening its doors in 1968 as an all-girls public school serving Jefferson Parish; remaining such until the 1980s, when it became co-ed.
The school, which now serves Grades 9-12, is a part of the Jefferson Parish Public Schools system. The school serves unincorporated portions of Jefferson Parish and a portion of the city of Kenner. The school was named for Grace King (d. 1932), a New Orleans writer and scholar of Louisiana history. The school's mascot is Lucky, the (Fighting Irish) Leprechaun, and the school colors are hunter green, white, and gold.
During Hurricane Katrina in late August 2005, the school suffered damage to its gymnasium's roof, and housed a National Guard troop until the school reopened in October 2005. Grace King High School recently completed building a putt-putt course that is accessible to students who are confined to wheelchairs or crutches.
As of 2015 all Grace King athletic teams participate as a member of the Louisiana High School Athletic Association (LHSAA). Grace King athletics compete with eight additional teams classified at the Class 5A level, within District 8.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Pantera and Down vocalist Phil Anselmo, a 1988 graduate, fronted the local heavy metal band Razor White. He later was the lead singer for Superjoint Ritual, and current lead guitarist in Arson Anthem.
- Donna Brazile, campaign manager for the Al Gore/Joe Lieberman presidential ticket in 2000, was the first African-American to direct a major presidential campaign.
- Danny Granger, NBA Miami Heat forward and former member of the Indiana Pacers and Los Angeles Clippers, was a 2001 graduate as a four-year letterman, averaging 24.3 ppg, 12 rpg and 5.5 bpg as a senior.
- Paul Hollis, member of the Louisiana House of Representatives from St. Tammany Parish, graduated in 1990 from Grace King and served as student body president.
- Salman Khan, founder of the Khan Academy, was valedictorian in 1994.
- Michael Lewis ("Beerman"), former San Francisco 49ers and New Orleans Saints wide receiver and kick returner.
- Kevin Mmahat, Former MLB player (New York Yankees)
- Mark Mullins, trombonist for Harry Connick, Jr. and Bonerama, is a 1985 graduate.
- Ellen DeGeneres, television show host of The Ellen DeGeneres Show was a brief attendant.
- Candice Stewart, Miss Louisiana Teen USA in 2002, Miss Louisiana USA in 2005 and a contestant on Big Brother in 2013, is a graduate of the school.
- Supriya Jolly Jindal, wife of former Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal.
In popular culture
Some of the high school scenes in 21 Jump Street were filmed here including the first scene of the movie and the play scene.
The film College, by Deb Hagan, was filmed at Grace King High School in the summer of 2007.
The film Bug, by William Friedkin, was filmed at Grace King High School in the summer of 2005. Released in 2007, it stars Ashley Judd, Michael Shannon, and Harry Connick, Jr.. The movie's motel scenes were shot at the high school, where most of the story's action takes place. 
- "Metairie CDP, Louisiana[dead link]." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on December 23, 2009.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP (INDEX): Metairie CDP, LA" (Archive). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "Council District Map" (Archive). City of Kenner. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "High School Districts 2012-2013 East Bank of Jefferson Parish Louisiana." (Archive) Jefferson Parish Public School System. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "Basic Info[dead link]." Grace King High School.
- Envoc. "History". lhsaa.org. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- Envoc. "King, Grace". lhsaa.org. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Danny Granger". databaseBasketball.com. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "Khan Academy founder returns home as big name in U.S. school reform". NOLA.com. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Michael Lewis". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "Louisiana Prep, College & Pro Sports News - SportsNOLA.com". SportsNOLA. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Mark Mullins Returns to King... - Grace King High School Alumni Association". gracekingalumni.com. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Ellen DeGeneres Biography - Facts, Birthday, Life Story - Biography.com". biography.com. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Former Saintsation Candice Stewart to compete on 'Big Brother'". NOLA.com. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Pirates and Paintings". NOLA.com. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
-  Archived August 12, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.