Grace Potter performs at The Pageant in St. Louis, MO.
|Birth name||Grace Potter|
June 20, 1983|
Waitsfield, Vermont, United States
|Instruments||Vocals, keyboards, guitar|
|Associated acts||Grace Potter and the Nocturnals|
Grace Potter (born June 20, 1983) is an American singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and actress who formed Grace Potter and the Nocturnals in 2002. Potter released her debut solo record Original Soul on 2004 via Grace Potter Music. In 2011, Potter and Higher Ground founded Grand Point North music festival in Burlington, Vermont. The music festival celebrates local acts, promotes area businesses and has attracted national performing artists, including The Avett Brothers, The Flaming Lips, Trampled By Turtles, Gov't Mule and more.
Film and television
As an actress, Potter appeared in an episode of One Tree Hill, performing her original song "Apologies." In 2010, Potter wrote and recorded "Something That I Want" for the end credits to Disney's animated feature Tangled. The following year, Potter was the voice of Carol in Disney's Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice, for which she also wrote and recorded "Naughty, Naughty Children (Better Start Actin' Nice)." Potter has made guest appearances on ABC's The Chew in 2012 and 2015. In 2015, Potter performed The Star-Spangled Banner during Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots' season opener. On January 25, 2016, Conan O'Brien aired an hour-long special episode of Conan (talk show) on TBS that chronicled a trip the comedian made to Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar; he was joined by First Lady Michelle Obama with Potter as his musical guest.
Over the years, Potter has developed a successful working relationship with country music star Kenny Chesney; their duets have climbed the country music charts and received critical acclaim. Potter earned her first Grammy nomination for Best Country Duo/Group Performance for "You And Tequila" with Chesney. The pair has performed together live numerous times, and their most recent collaboration on the song "Wild Child" off of Chesney's album The Big Revival has garnered award nominations from the Academy of Country Music, CMT Music and the Country Music Association. Chesney has appeared at Potter's Grand Point North music festival in 2011, 2013, and 2015.
Potter has also enjoyed a fruitful relationship with The Flaming Lips. In 2012, she joined the band during their show at The Lyric in Oxford, Mississippi, which was part of their attempt to break the Guinness World Record for Most Concerts Played in multiple cities in a 24-hour period. That same year, Potter and The Flaming Lips collaborated on a recording of “My Mechanical Friend” (which she also wrote) for the companion soundtrack to Disney and Tim Burton’s film Frankenweenie. In 2014, she contributed to their cover of The Beatles’ “Good Morning Good Morning” for their With A Little Help From My Fwends album. The Flaming Lips performed during Potter's Grand Point North music festival in 2015.
Grace Potter's second solo album Midnight was released on August 14, 2015 on Hollywood Records. Midnight was recorded and mixed at Barefoot Studios in Hollywood with producer Eric Valentine, who has worked with artists ranging from Queens of the Stone Age to Nickel Creek. The core studio band consisted of Potter and Valentine on the majority of the instruments, with Matt Burr on drums and percussion. Members of Potter's band The Nocturnals – Scott Tournet, Benny Yurco and bassist Michael Libramento – played guitar, while friends such as Rayland Baxter, Audra Mae, Noelle Scaggs of Fitz & the Tantrums, Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips, and Nick Oliveri of Queens of the Stone Age played various instruments. Potter cites an eclectic array of musical influences for Midnight's unique sound, including Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, David Bowie, Blondie and Beck.
The seeds for Midnight were planted in Vermont during the fall of 2013. Potter explains the evolution of the record:
I had been messing around for a few weeks with making really wacked-out home demos – lots of sounds, beats and melodies that I had never tried before. It was a dark, stormy, moody day and I could hear the thunder in the distance – these big ominous clouds were rolling in fast. There was something about that threat of inclement weather beyond my control that just made me vibrate with anticipation and adrenaline, so I channeled it into this heavy boogie song—it goes right for the throat and says ‘Own your existence on earth, because who knows what’s gonna happen next.’ That solitary moment guided everything that followed.
Potter and her fiancee, record producer Eric Valentine, had a baby boy, Sagan Potter Valentine on January 12, 2018. Potter had previously been married to Nocturnals band-mate Matt Burr, on May 11, 2013, but they are now divorced.
Throughout her career, Potter has championed the Alzheimer's Association in honor of her paternal grandfather's battle with Alzheimer's disease. She frequently participates in the "Night At Sardi's" annual fundraiser in Los Angeles.
- Original Soul (2004), Grace Potter Music
- Midnight (2015), Hollywood Records
Songwriting & Appearances
|2015||Ashes & Dust||"Gold Dust Woman"||Warren Haynes (feat. Railroad Earth & Grace Potter)||Performer|
|2014||The Big Revival||"Wild Child"||Kenny Chesney with Grace Potter||Performer|
|2014||With A Little Help From My Fwends||"Good Morning Good Morning"||The Flaming Lips (feat. Zorch, Grace Potter & Treasure Mammal)||Performer|
|2013||Shout!||"Whisper In Your Soul”||Gov't Mule Feat. Grace Potter||Performer|
|2013||Love For Levon: A Benefit To Save The Barn||"I Shall Be Released"||Grace Potter + Don Was + Matt Burr||Performer|
|2012||Welcome To The Fishbowl||"You And Tequila (Live At Red Rocks Amphitheatre)"||Kenny Chesney (featuring Grace Potter)||Performer|
|2012||Frankenweenie Unleashed!||"My Mechanical Friend"||Grace Potter Feat. The Flaming Lips||Performer|
|2011||Prep & Landing: Naughty vs Nice||“Naughty Naughty Children (Better Start Actin' Nice)"||Grace Potter||Writer/Performer|
|2010||Hemingway's Whiskey||"You And Tequila"||Kenny Chesney (feat. Grace Potter)||Performer|
|2010||Tangled||“Something That I Want"||Grace Potter||Writer/Performer|
|2009||OKNO||"Wellwisher"||Phonograph (feat. Grace Potter)||Performer|
|Year||Single||Artist||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|US Country||US Country Airplay||US||CAN Country||CAN|
|2011||"You and Tequila"||Kenny Chesney||3||—||33||—||62||
|2015||"Wild Child"||9||1||56||3||69||The Big Revival|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
- "Grace Potter - Pianist, Guitarist, Singer, Songwriter (1983-)". Biography.com. Retrieved November 19, 2017.
- "Grand Point North – September 17 & 18, 2016". Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Last Bites: Grace Potter and The Chew Crew". ABC. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "The Chew: Instant Holiday Party! Watch Full Episode - 12/11/2015". ABC. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Jim Rogash. "Pittsburgh Steelers v New England Patriots". Getty Images. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Conan O'Brien and Michelle Obama Entertain the Troops, and Each Other, in Qatar". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Kenny Chesney, Grace Potter Top Country Airplay Chart With "Wild Child"". CMT News. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Skipping To The Beat Of Grace Potter". The GRAMMYs. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "2016 ACM Awards Nominees Announced". Taste of Country. 1 February 2016. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "2015 CMT Music Awards Nominations Announced". CMT News. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Nominees Announced for The 49th Annual CMA Awards". 2016 CMA Awards. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Jeanne Denizard. "Kenny Chesney made a surprise appearance at Grand Point North Music Festival". AXS. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "The Flaming Lips' 24-Hour Party: Chasing a Guinness Record With Wayne Coyne". Spin. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Flaming Lips beat Jay-Z's most concerts played in 24 hours world record". Guinness World Records. 2012-06-29. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- beville-dunkerley (29 August 2012). "Grace Potter Makes a 'Friend' in the Friendly Skies". The Boot. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "» Grace Potter's Grand Point North Festival – Tickets – Waterfront Park Burlington – Burlington, VT – September 12th, 2015". Higher Ground. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Grace Potter". Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Leslie, Alexandra (September 16, 2017). "While in Vermont for Grand Point North Festival, Grace Potter Talks Love, Loss and Baby on the Way". My Champlain Valley. Retrieved September 18, 2017.
- "Grace Potter - Posts |January 19, 2018". Facebook. January 19, 2018. Archived from the original on January 19, 2018. Retrieved January 19, 2018.
- Halperin, Shirley (November 12, 2013). "Grace Potter Got Married ... Six Months Ago". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 18, 2017.
- Hallenbeck, Brent (September 11, 2017). "Grace Potter on divorce, life and this weekend's Grand Point North festival". Burlington Free Press. Retrieved September 18, 2017.
- "Grace Potter Photos - 'A Night at Sardi's' to Benefit the Alzheimer's Association". Zimbio. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Champion Grace Potter". Retrieved 22 March 2016.