Graded stakes race
A graded stakes race is a thoroughbred horse race in the United States or Canada that meets the criteria of the American Graded Stakes Committee of the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association (TOBA). A specific grade level (I, II, III or listed) is then assigned to the race, based on statistical analysis of the quality of the field in previous years, provided the race meets the minimum purse criteria for the grade in question.
The grading system was introduced in 1974. The original purpose of grading was to be able to readily identify the quality of races a horse has won for sales and breeding purposes. A high grading can also be used by racetracks to promote the race in question.
In general, "stakes race" refers to the stake, or entry fee, owners must pay, which generally forms part of the prize money offered to the top finishers. Not all stakes races are eligible for grading. Notably, races that are restricted to horses bred in a specific state (e.g., the Tiznow Stakes for California-breds) or country (e.g., the races that make up the Canadian Triple Crown, all restricted to Canadian-breds) are excluded, regardless of the purse or quality of field. Conversely, some races that are not technically stakes races (usually invitational races where entry fees are not required by the racetrack) may be eligible for grading if they meet the quality standards.
To determine if a race is eligible for grading, the American Graded Stakes Committee uses the following criteria:
- Purse requirement: That the race has a purse of at least $75,000. ($100,000 for Grade III, $200,000 for Grade II, and $300,000 for Grade I.)
- Longevity: That the race has been run for two years under fundamentally the same conditions. (The race's distance for example may be slightly altered, but age and gender conditions may not.)
- Restrictions: That the race may be restricted only in age and gender.
- Drug testing: That post race drug testing is managed by a governmental authority.
- Medication: That model rules on androgenic-anabolic steroids and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs be followed. Specifically, only Boldenone, Nandrolone, Stanozolol, and Testosterone are allowed to be used. (this is a minimum standard – some racing jurisdictions have even higher restrictions on medications)
In 2008, the Committee implemented a rule requiring that toe grabs on the horseshoe, designed to improve traction, be no longer than 2 millimeters. This was in response to studies by Dr. Susan Stover showing that such toe grabs substantially increase the risk of catastrophic racing injuries. They have also discussed a phase out on the race day use of furosemide (Lasix).
A newly established race may inherit the graded status of a discontinued race if it is held at the same facility under essentially identical conditions as the discontinued race. Notably, the inaugural running of the $12 million Pegasus World Cup in January 2017 was Grade I, inheriting the status of the now-discontinued Donn Handicap.
There are four different levels of grading, from Listed at the bottom to Grade I at the top. The latter are higher-class races for bigger prizes for horses of the same age group (2, 3 or 3 and up) and may further be restricted by gender. The weight conditions of the races may vary provided they meet the Committee's standards to ensure competitiveness. Many grade I races are "weight-for-age", with weights adjusted only according to age and gender, and also there are 'set weights' where all horses carry the same weight (usually applicable when all horses are of the same age and gender). Furthermore, there are "conditions" races, in which horses carry weights that are set by conditions, such as having won a certain number of races, or races of a certain value. Finally, some graded stakes are "handicaps", in which an official handicapper assigns weights to each horse in an attempt to equalize the competition.
Note that all Grade I races must have a purse of at least $300,000, but not all races with such high purses are Grade I. For example, the racetrack may be offering a high purse to attract better fields so the race will be upgraded in future years. The grade level is assigned by looking at data that indicates quality of the field for the last five years. In order to achieve or maintain a Grade I, it is necessary to attract a competitive field over a number of years.
For graded turf races, track conditions (normally excessive rain) may sometimes force the race to be run on the main (dirt) track. If this happens, the race is automatically downgraded by one grade level for that running only. The Committee then reviews the race within five days and may restore the original grade. For example, a Grade I turf race that is switched to the dirt will be recorded as a Grade II race, unless the committee feels the quality of the race was sufficient to warrant Grade I.
In the United States and Canada, a graded race can be dormant for one year without losing its grade.
U.S. graded stakes races
Grade I (2017)
|Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap||Saratoga||July||6||Dirt||3+||$350,000|
|American Oaks Invitational Stakes||Santa Anita||May||10||Turf||3+||F||$400,000|
|Apple Blossom Handicap||Oaklawn||April||8.5||Dirt||4+||F/M||$600,000|
|Arlington Million Stakes||Arlington||August||10||Turf||3+||$1,000,000|
|Awesome Again Stakes||Santa Anita||September||9||Dirt||3+||$300,000|
|Beverly D. Stakes||Arlington||August||9.5||Turf||3+||F/M||$700,000|
|Bing Crosby Handicap||Del Mar||July||6||Dirt||3+||$300,000|
|Breeders' Cup Classic||(Rotates location)||Oct./Nov.||10||Dirt||3+||$6,000,000|
|Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile||(Rotates location)||Oct./Nov.||8||Dirt||3+||$1,000,000|
|Breeders' Cup Distaff||(Rotates location)||Oct./Nov.||9||Dirt||3+||F/M||$2,000,000|
|Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint||(Rotates location)||Oct./Nov.||7||Dirt||3+||F/M||$1,000,000|
|Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf||(Rotates location)||Oct./Nov.||11||Turf||3+||F/M||$2,000,000|
|Breeders' Cup Juvenile||(Rotates location)||Oct./Nov.||8.5||Dirt||2||C/G||$2,000,000|
|Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies||(Rotates location)||Oct./Nov.||8.5||Dirt||2||F||$2,000,000|
|Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf||(Rotates location)||Oct./Nov.||8||Turf||2||F||$1,000,000|
|Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf||(Rotates location)||Oct./Nov.||8||Turf||2||C/G||$1,000,000|
|Breeders' Cup Mile||(Rotates location)||Oct./Nov.||8||Turf||3+||$2,000,000|
|Breeders' Cup Sprint||(Rotates location)||Oct./Nov.||6||Dirt||3+||$1,500,000|
|Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint||(Rotates location)||Oct./Nov.||5.5||Turf||3+||$1,000,000|
|Breeders' Cup Turf||(Rotates location)||Oct./Nov.||12||Turf||3+||$4,000,000|
|Breeders' Futurity Stakes||Keeneland||October||8.5||Dirt||2||$500,000|
|Chandelier Stakes||Santa Anita||September||8.5||Dirt||2||F||$300,000|
|Cigar Mile Handicap||Aqueduct||November||8||Dirt||3+||$753,750|
|Clark Handicap||Churchill Downs||November||9||Dirt||3+||$500,000|
|Clement L. Hirsch Stakes||Del Mar||July||8.5||Dirt||3+||F/M||$300,000|
|Coaching Club American Oaks||Saratoga||July||10||Dirt||3||F||$300,000|
|Del Mar Debutante Stakes||Del Mar||September||7||Dirt||2||F||$300,000|
|Del Mar Futurity||Del Mar||September||7||Dirt||2||$300,000|
|Del Mar Oaks||Del Mar||August||9||Turf||3||F||$300,000|
|Delaware Handicap||Delaware Park||July||10||Dirt||3+||F/M||$750,000|
|First Lady Stakes||Keeneland||October||8||Turf||3+||F/M||$400,000|
|Florida Derby||Gulfstream Park||Mar./Apr.||9||Dirt||3||$1,000,000|
|Flower Bowl Invitational Stakes||Belmont||October||10||Turf||3+||F/M||$500,000|
|Frank E. Kilroe Mile Handicap||Santa Anita||March||8||Turf||4+||$400,000|
|FrontRunner Stakes||Santa Anita||September||8.5||Dirt||2||$300,000|
|Gamely Stakes||Santa Anita||May||9||Turf||3+||F/M||$300,000|
|Gold Cup at Santa Anita Stakes||Santa Anita||June||10||Dirt||3+||$500,000|
|Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap||Gulfstream Park||February||9||Turf||4+||$350,000|
|Haskell Invitational Stakes||Monmouth||July/Aug.||9||Dirt||3||$1,000,000|
|Hollywood Derby||Del Mar||November||9||Turf||3||$300,000|
|Humana Distaff Handicap||Churchill Downs||May||7||Dirt||4+||F/M||$300,000|
|Jenny Wiley Stakes||Keeneland||April||8.5||Turf||4+||F/M||$300,000|
|Jockey Club Gold Cup Stakes||Belmont Park||October||10||Dirt||3+||F/M||$1,000,000|
|Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational Stakes||Belmont||October||12||Turf||3+||$500,000|
|Just A Game Handicap||Belmont||June||8||Turf||4+||F/M||$700,000|
|Kentucky Derby||Churchill Downs||May||10||Dirt||3||$2,000,000|
|Kentucky Oaks||Churchill Downs||Apr./May||9||Dirt||3||F||$1,000,000|
|King's Bishop Stakes||Saratoga||August||7||Dirt||3||$500,000|
|La Brea Stakes||Santa Anita||December||7||Dirt||3||F||$300,000|
|La Troienne Stakes||Churchill Downs||Apr./May||8.5||Dirt||3+||F/M||$300,000|
|Los Alamitos Futurity||Los Alamitos||December||8.5||Dirt||2||$500,000|
|Maker's 46 Mile Stakes||Keeneland||April||8||Turf||4+||$300,000|
|Malibu Stakes||Santa Anita||December||7||Dirt||3||$300,000|
|Man o' War Stakes||Belmont||May||11||Turf||3+||$400,000|
|Matriarch Stakes||Del Mar||November||8||Turf||3+||F/M||$300,000|
|Ogden Phipps Handicap||Belmont||June||8.5||Dirt||3+||F/M||$1,000,000|
|Pacific Classic Stakes||Del Mar||August||10||Dirt||3+||$1,000,000|
|Pegasus World Cup||Gulfstream Park||January||9||Dirt||3+||$12,000,000|
|Personal Ensign Stakes||Saratoga||August||9||Dirt||3+||F/M||$750,000|
|Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup Stakes||Keeneland||October||9||Turf||3||F||$500,000|
|Rodeo Drive Stakes||Santa Anita||September||10||Turf||3+||F/M||$300,000|
|Santa Anita Derby||Santa Anita||April||9||Dirt||3||$1,000,000|
|Santa Anita Handicap||Santa Anita||March||10||Dirt||4+||$1,000,000|
|Santa Anita Oaks||Santa Anita||April||8.5||Dirt||3||F||$400,000|
|Santa Anita Sprint Championship Stakes||Santa Anita||October||6||Dirt||3+||$300,000|
|Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap||Santa Anita||March||9||Dirt||4+||F/M||$400,000|
|Shadwell Turf Mile Stakes||Keeneland||October||8||Turf||3+||$1,000,000|
|Shoemaker Mile||Santa Anita||June||8||Turf||3+||$400,000|
|Starlet Stakes||Los Alamitos||December||8.5||Dirt||2||F||$500,000|
|Stephen Foster Handicap||Churchill Downs||June||9||Dirt||3+||$500,000|
|Sword Dancer Invitational Stakes||Saratoga||August||12||Turf||3+||$1,000,000|
|Triple Bend Invitational Handicap||Santa Anita||June||7||Dirt||3+||$300,000|
|Turf Classic Stakes||Churchill Downs||May||9||Turf||3+||$500,000|
|United Nations Stakes||Monmouth||July||11||Turf||3+||$300,000|
|Vanity Invitational Handicap||Santa Anita||June||9||Dirt||3+||F/M||$400,000|
|Zenyatta Stakes||Santa Anita||September||8.5||Dirt||3+||F/M||$300,000|
Sex: C/G=Colts and Geldings; F=Fillies; F/M=Fillies and Mares. If blank, the race is open
Grade I changes since 2010
The following races have been downgraded from Grade I status since 2010:
- Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland (2017)
- Charles Whittingham Memorial Stakes at Hollywood Park (2013)
- Eddie Read at Del Mar (2016)
- Gazelle Stakes at Aqueduct (2013)
- Hollywood Turf Cup Stakes at Hollywood Park (2012)
- Las Virgenes at Santa Anita Park (2016)
- Mother Goose Stakes at Belmont
- Pat O'Brien Stakes at Del Mar (2012)
- Pimlico Special at Pimlico (2011)
- Prioress Stakes at Saratoga (2014)
- Princess Rooney Handicap at Calder (2014)
- Ruffian Handicap at Saratoga (2012)
- Santa Monica Stakes at Santa Anita (2013)
- Wood Memorial at Aqueduct (2017)
The Hopeful Stakes was downgraded from grade I to grade II for 2012 but regained the top rating in 2013
The following races were upgraded to Grade I status since 2010:
- Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf (2012)
- Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf (2011)
- Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint (2012)
- Cotillion Stakes at Parx Racing (2012)
- Delaware Handicap (2013)
- Fourstardave at Saratoga (2016)
- Jenny Wiley Stakes at Keeneland (2012)
- La Troienne Stakes at Churchill Downs (2014)
- Pennsylvania Derby at Parx Racing (2017)
- "Graded Stakes". toba.org. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Graded Stakes Tied to Adoption of Rules". bloodhorse.com. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "Committee Calls for Ban on Certain Toe Grabs". bloodhorse.com. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Phase-Out of Lasix in Graded Stakes Discussed". bloodhorse.com. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Pegasus World Cup to Carry Grade I Status". bloodhorse.com. The Blood-Horse. July 22, 2016. Retrieved August 26, 2016.
- "Blue Grass, Wood Memorial Downgraded". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Delaware Handicap, Hopeful Now Grade I". bloodhorse.com. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "TOBA Announces U.S. Graded and Listed Stakes". bloodhorse.com. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Four New Grade I Stakes for 2012". bloodhorse.com. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "2011 Graded Stakes: 13 Fewer Than '10". bloodhorse.com. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Eight Stakes Elevated in Status for 2014". bloodhorse.com. Retrieved 25 June 2016.