Grady Hall is an American director and screenwriter. He directs music videos and commercial projects through the production company Motion Theory, where he was one of the studio's original two directors (along with Mathew Cullen). He is also the Executive Creative Director of Mirada, a transmedia production company and visual effects studio co-founded by Guillermo del Toro, Guillermo Navarro, Mathew Cullen and Javier Jimenez.
Grady Hall began his career working at Warner Bros. in syndicated television. He later became a development executive for television producer Douglas S. Cramer and was also a staff writer on The Outer Limits for SyFy, which filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Hall joined Motion Theory as a writer-director and creative director in 2001. He has directed music videos for artists such as Beck, R.E.M., and Katy Perry, and commercials for Nike, Toyota, Microsoft, Sony, Disney, Target, the NBA, Olay Budweiser, and Mazda3.
Select music video credits
- “The Science of Selling Yourself Short” by Less Than Jake (2003)
- “Animal” by R.E.M. (2004)
- “Take It Away” by The Used (2004)
- “Getting Away with Murder” by Papa Roach (2004)
- “Girl” by Beck (2005)
- “Scars” by Papa Roach (2005)
- “Dashboard” by Modest Mouse (2007)
- “Safe and Sound” by Capital Cities (2013)
- “Roar” by Katy Perry (2013)
|2013||Grammy Awards||Capital Cities “Safe and Sound”||Nominated for Best Music Video|
|2013||People's Choice Awards||Katy Perry "Roar"||Won Favorite Music Video|
|2013||MTV VMA||Capital Cities “Safe and Sound”||Won for Best Visual Effects|
|2013||MTV VMA||Capital Cities “Safe and Sound”||Nominated for Best Art Direction|
|2004||PromaxBDA||Discovery “One Way Out”||Won Gold|
|2008||D&AD||Modest Mouse “Dashboard”||Won|
|2007||AIGA||Modest Mouse “Dashboard”||Certificate of Excellence|
|2006||MVPA||Beck “Girl”||Won for Best Special Effects|
|2004||AICP||Nike “Flow”||Won for Graphic Design|
|2004||The One Show||Fox Sports “Shockey”||Finalist|
|2004||Art Directors Club||Fox Sports “Shockey”||Won Silver|
|2004||ACM SIGGRAPH||ESPN “Evolution”||Won|
|2003||AICP||ESPN “Evolution”||Won for Graphic Design|
- Guillermo del Toro partners on transmedia studio | Variety
- "Katy Perry Was 'Game For Anything' On 'Roar' Video ... Even Face Tarantulas - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. 2013-09-06. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- Gale, Zach (2013-09-24). "Video: Behind The Scenes Of The 2014 Mazda3 Commercial". Automobilemag.com. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- MTV VMA nominees: Justin Timberlake, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis lead
- 2013 MTV Video Music Awards (VMA) Winners | MTV.com
- Beck Takes A Page Out Of Mad Magazine For 'Girl' Video - Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV.com
- Motion Theory: Modest Mouse “Dashboard” | Motionographer
- "Capital Cities "Safe And Sound" (Grady Hall, dir.)". VideoStatic. 2013-04-25. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Talking Katy Perry "Roar" with co-directors Grady Hall and Mark Kudsi". VideoStatic. 2013-09-23. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- -- 4:57 pm (2014-01-09). "First-Time GRAMMY Nominees: Capital Cities". GRAMMY.com. Retrieved 2014-03-11.
- Vena, Jocelyn (2013-11-05). "One Direction, Katy Perry, 'Glee' Nab People's Choice Awards Nominations". MTV.com. Retrieved 2014-03-11.
- "2013 MTV Video Music Awards (VMA) Winners". MTV.com. Retrieved 2013-12-15.