After a period as a disc jockey on Edgware General Hospital's radio, and at United Biscuits Network, he became famous in the London area as Capital Radio's breakfast presenter in the 1970s, having joined from Radio City in Liverpool. He took over the breakfast show from Kenny Everett in May 1975, and stayed there until Mike Smith took over the slot in July 1980. When Smith left to rejoin BBC Radio 1 in 1982, Dene returned for a second stint as breakfast host from 1982 to 1987. This time Chris Tarrant took over.
In the 1980s, Dene hosted a radio show, Rock Over London, that was produced and distributed to radio stations in the United States, particularly stations that programmed New Wave or new, eclectic music.
Dene joined the original Virgin Radio 1215 at its launch in April 1993. In 2006, he worked at Magic 105.4. In 2008, he was 102.2 Smooth Radio's breakfast host. Dene was also a presenter for BBC Radio Devon and BBC Jersey on its Sunday afternoons chart show. In April 2012, Dene was one of the launch presenters on The Wireless - an Internet-based radio station operated by Age UK and aimed at older people throughout the UK. From January 2013 he presented the Saturday lunchtime show on BBC Sussex and BBC Surrey.
In January 2021 it was announced that Graham Dene would be joining the new UK radio station Boom Radio. He launched the station on Sunday 14 February at 10am and presented his first regular breakfast show on the following day.
- Nejman, Michael (3 August 1988). "'Rock Over London' sends U.S. latest British music". Chicago Sun-Times.
- "Cracker factory records: the surprising story of United Biscuits' radio station". Retrieved 6 November 2020.
- "Jesus of Cool: Rock Over London!". Popdose. 7 April 2008. Retrieved 27 July 2019.
- Day, Julia (26 October 2006). "Heart steals breakfast show crown". The Guardian. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- Morris, Sophie (1 September 2008). "My Mentor: Graham Dene on Brian Johnston". The Independent. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- "The Wireless Radio; Age UK". ageuk.org.uk. Retrieved 27 July 2019.
- "BBC Local Radio - Graham Dene". BBC. Retrieved 27 July 2019.
- Radio Today, 11 January, 2021
- Boom Radio website
| Smooth Radio
weekend breakfast show presenter