|Member of Parliament
for Weaver Vale
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Mike Hall|
10 November 1963 |
Poynton, Cheshire, England
|Alma mater||Manchester Metropolitan University|
He worked as a shelf stacker at a local supermarket, and then attended Manchester Metropolitan University as a mature student. He developed a career as a marketing specialist and then manager in the manufacturing sector, eventually holding a number of board positions with blue chip companies including BAE Systems and Hewlett Packard.
Evans served ten years as a local councillor at Macclesfield Borough Council, until the council's abolition in 2009. He served on the Community Development Committee and was part of a team of councillors that took the council’s Audit Commission rating from “poor” in 2000 to “good” in just four years.
In July 2007, Evans was selected by a Conservative Party primary election, open to all residents of Weaver Vale regardless of which party they normally support. His resultant campaign called for action on crime and fighting against post office closures.
Evans was elected as Member of Parliament for Weaver Vale, gaining the seat with a swing of over 8%, at the 2010 general election.
He was appointed Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to the Rt Hon Greg Barker MP, Minister of State for Energy and Climate Change, in January 2014.
He sat on the influential 1922 Executive Committee between Autumn 2012 and January 2014.
Co Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Beer Group (re-elected June 2013)
Vice Chair of the Chemical Industry All Party Parliamentary Group (re-elected May 2013)
Co Chair of the Energy Intensive Industries All-Party Parliamentary Group (elected February 2014)
Co Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Scout Group (re-elected July 2013)
Co-Secretary of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Armed Forces (elected June 2013) and member of the Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme.
He is also a member of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Muscular Dystrophy, the Emergency Services All Party Parliamentary Group, the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Young Disabled People, All-Party Parliamentary Group for Justice for Equitable Life Policy Holders, and the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Interest Rate Swap Mis-Selling.
Evans is married to Cheryl, and the couple have three children: George, Tom and Sophie.
Evans has an extensive interest in British social, economic and political history. He enjoys military history, and has a good size library on the subject of the First World War.
Evans is a keen sportsman, regularly playing cricket, football and rugby on the Parliamentary teams. He is also a keen runner and has completed numerous races including the London Marathon 2013 which he ran for Halton Haven Hospice and The Royal British Legion raising over £1,000.
He was found to be playing air guitar during a parliament meeting, sparking an influx of videos with added audio of a guitar solo in the background.
- "Graham Evans MP". BBC Democracy Live (BBC). Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- "EVANS, Graham : Who's Who". Ukwhoswho.com. 1963-11-10. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- "House of Commons - The Register of Members' Financial Interests - Part 2: Part 2". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- The London Gazette: . 13 May 2010.
- "About Graham". Graham Evans.
- Bloxham, Andy (3 March 2011). "Graham Evans profile: the air guitar MP". Telegraph.
- "Introduction to Graham Evans Political biography". Cllr Graham Evans website. Retrieved 2 July 2010.
- "Graham Evans, Member of Parliament for Weaver Vale". Conservative Party website. Retrieved 2 July 2010.
- "Work and Pensions Committee - UK Parliament". Parliament.uk. 2010-04-29. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- "Drug Driving Private Members' Bill". Graham Evans.
- "House of Commons Hansard Debates for 24 Jan 2013 (pt 0003)". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- "House of Commons Hansard Debates for 12 Mar 2013 (pt 0001)". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- "House of Commons - Register Of All-Party Groups as at 30 March 2015: Beer". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- "House of Commons - Register Of All-Party Groups as at 30 March 2015: Chemical Industry". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- "House of Commons - Register Of All-Party Groups as at 30 March 2015: Energy Intensive Industries". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- "House of Commons - Register Of All-Party Groups as at 30 March 2015: Scout". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- "The Halton Curve: Connecting Weaver Vale". Graham Evans.
- "Graham Evans MP - Virgin Marathon London 2013". Justgiving.com. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- [dead link]
- "MP rocks Parliament with air guitar". YouTube.com. 2011-03-03. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Weaver Vale
2010 – present