|Member of Parliament
for Weaver Vale
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Mike Hall|
10 November 1963 |
Poynton, Cheshire, England
|Alma mater||Manchester Metropolitan University|
He worked as a shelf stacker at a local supermarket. Graham went on to study at night school as a mature student, graduating from Manchester Metropolitan University Business School with a Business Degree and Diploma in Marketing Management. He had a successful twenty year business career in manufacturing, working for companies such as BAE Systems and Hewlett Packard, eventually becoming a Company Director. He went on to get an MA from Kings College London.
He has always served his local community, spending four years as a Special Constable in the Cheshire Constabulary and ten years as a local Councillor in Macclesfield.
Evans served ten years as a local councillor at Macclesfield Borough Council, until the council's abolition in 2009. He served on the Community Development Committee and was part of a team of councillors that took the council's Audit Commission rating from "poor" in 2000 to "good" in just four years.
In July 2007, he was selected by a primary open to all residents of Weaver Vale, regardless of which party they normally support. For three years he tirelessly campaigned across the constituency, and was first elected in 2010 with an 8.1% swing, the highest swing in the country.
Graham was re-elected as Member of Parliament for Weaver Vale in 2015, confounding the pollsters, again pledging to work hard for all constituents and put them before everything else in politics.
Graham now serves as Parliamentary Private Secretary to Michael Fallon MP, Secretary of State for Defence.
Evans was elected as Member of Parliament for Weaver Vale, gaining the seat with a swing of over 8%, at the 2010 general election.
He was appointed Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to the Rt Hon Greg Barker MP, Minister of State for Energy and Climate Change, in January 2014.
He sat on the influential 1922 Executive Committee between Autumn 2012 and January 2014.
Co Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Beer Group (re-elected June 2013)
Vice Chair of the Chemical Industry All Party Parliamentary Group (re-elected May 2013)
Co Chair of the Energy Intensive Industries All-Party Parliamentary Group (elected February 2014)
Co Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Scout Group (re-elected July 2013)
Co-Secretary of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Armed Forces (elected June 2013) and member of the Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme.
He is also a member of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Muscular Dystrophy, the Emergency Services All Party Parliamentary Group, the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Young Disabled People, All-Party Parliamentary Group for Justice for Equitable Life Policy Holders, and the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Interest Rate Swap Mis-Selling.
Evans is married to Cheryl, and the couple have three children: George, Tom and Sophie.
Evans has an extensive interest in British social, economic and political history. He enjoys military history, and has a good size library on the subject of the First World War.
Evans is a keen sportsman, regularly playing cricket, football and rugby on the Parliamentary teams. He is also a keen runner and has completed the London Marathon numerous times.
- "Graham Evans MP". BBC Democracy Live. BBC. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- "EVANS, Graham : Who's Who". Ukwhoswho.com. 10 November 1963. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "House of Commons – The Register of Members' Financial Interests – Part 2: Part 2". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- The London Gazette: . 13 May 2010.
- "About Graham". Graham Evans.
- "Introduction to Graham Evans Political biography". Cllr Graham Evans website. Retrieved 2 July 2010.
- "Graham Evans, Member of Parliament for Weaver Vale". Conservative Party website. Retrieved 2 July 2010.
- "Work and Pensions Committee – UK Parliament". Parliament.uk. 29 April 2010. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "Drug Driving Private Members' Bill". Graham Evans.
- "House of Commons Hansard Debates for 24 Jan 2013 (pt 0003)". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "House of Commons Hansard Debates for 12 Mar 2013 (pt 0001)". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "House of Commons – Register of All-Party Groups as at 30 March 2015: Beer". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "House of Commons – Register of All-Party Groups as at 30 March 2015: Chemical Industry". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "House of Commons – Register of All-Party Groups as at 30 March 2015: Energy Intensive Industries". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "House of Commons – Register of All-Party Groups as at 30 March 2015: Scout". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "The Halton Curve: Connecting Weaver Vale". Graham Evans.
- Goodenough, Tom (16 February 2016). "Which Tory MPs back Brexit, who doesn't and who is still on the fence?". The Spectator. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- Graham Evans MP Conservative Party profile
- Graham Evans official website
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Weaver Vale
2010 – present