||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for music. (January 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Grailknights at Wacken Roadshow 2014
|Genres||Melodic death metal
|Associated acts||Van Canto|
|Members||Sir Optimus Prime
|Past members||Mac Death
The Duke of Drummington
Baron van der Blast
The band was founded at the end of 2002 by musicians from Wunstorf and Hanover as Galactic Grailknights. After having played several local shows, the band released their first album which they had produced on their own, called Across the Galaxy – the word Galactic had already been dropped from the band name. Numerous concerts in Northern Germany followed. The second album Return to Castle Grailskull had already been completely recorded by then, and was released in the same year (2006). On June 24, 2008, the third record, entitled Alliance, was released.
In November 2009, the Knights played their first headline tour across Europe, with the US Power Metal band Zandelle.
In spring 2010, Duke of Drumington left the band, and has been replaced by Baron van der Blast.
In December 2010, the band's first DVD Live at the Gates of Grailham City' was released.
In 2011, the band released the EP Non Omnis Moriar. The track Holding Out for a Hero is a cover song, originally by Bonnie Tyler.
The eternal battle of good against evil is the core of the concept of the band, which is evocative of the Masters of the Universe. The Knights, resident in Castle Grailskull, battle evil Dr. Skull. Therefore, they dress up as superheroes, including Corpsepaint. In contrast to black metal, the Grailknights use lively colours such as red (Mac Death), blue (Lord Lightbringer), green (Sir Optimus Prime) and yellow (Baron van der Blast).
With their multicolored costumes and self-deprecating appearance, the band stands out from the crowd of rather dark heavy metal bands. Nevertheless, the band uses the established clichés, such as the heroic warriors which fight dark forces – therefore, many think of the band as a heavy metal persiflage.
Their shows are staged as humorous epic battles. Evil Dr. Skull has stolen the Holy Grail from the Grailknights, which has to be reconquered by the Knights. Several side-characters appear on stage, for both parties (Beer Beauty for the Knights, Morph the swarf and Urks for Dr. Skull). The audience, which the band calls their "Battlechoir", is integrated into the show via stories and jokes. Their battle cry is "Grailknights Battlechoir", and the audience answers with "Yes Sire!".
- Sir Optimus Prime - vocals
- Count Cranium - bass guitar
- Earl Quake - guitar
- Sovereign Storm - guitar, backing vocals
- Lord Drumcules - drums
- Previous members
- Mac Death - bass guitar, vocals
- Lord Lightbringer - guitar, backing vocals
- The Duke of Drummington - drums
- Baron van der Blast - drums
- Zapf Beauty (the beer-supplying steed)
- Mohrrüben-Mann (German for "carrot-man")
- Dr. Skull
- Morph the Swarf (Dr. Skull's henchman, similar to Dr. Frankenstein's Igor)
- Urks (a dragon)
- Professor Pain
- Studio albums
- 2004: Across the Galaxy
- 2006: Return to Castle Grailskull
- 2008: Alliance
- 2014: Calling the Choir
- 2010: Live at the Gates of Grailham City
- Singles & EP's
- 2011: Non Omnis Moriar (EP)
- 2016: Dead or Alive (EP)
- Across the Galaxy (trailer - December 2004)
- Moonlit Masquerade (December 2007)
- Tranquility's Embrace (June 2008)
- Superhero Medley (November 2013)
- Far and Away (November 2015)
- Dead or Alive (January 2016)
- Crimson Shades of Glory (March 2016)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Grailknights.|
- http://www.grailknights.de Grailknights homepage