Grammy Award for Best Jazz Instrumental Album
|Grammy Award for Best Jazz Instrumental Album|
|Awarded for||quality instrumental jazz albums|
|Presented by||National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences|
The Grammy Award for Best Jazz Instrumental Album is an award that was first presented in 1959.
The Award was previously called Best Instrumental Jazz Album, Individual or Group from 1959 to 2011. The award was shortened to Best Jazz Instrumental Album in 2012, while largely instrumental jazz albums that previously fell under the Best Contemporary Jazz Album and Best Latin Jazz Album categories (both defunct as of 2012) now also fell under the Best Jazz Instrumental Album category. A year later, the Best Latin Jazz Album category returned, disallowing albums in that category to be nominated and/or honoured for the Best Jazz Instrumental Album category.
Before 1962 and from 1972 to 1978 the award title did not specify instrumental performances and was presented for instrumental or vocal performances. The award has had several minor name changes.
- From 1959 to 1960 the award was known as Best Jazz Performance, Group
- In 1961 it was awarded as Best Jazz Performance Solo or Small Group
- From 1962 to 1963 the award was known as Best Jazz Performance Solo or Small Group (Instrumental)
- In 1964 it was awarded as Best Instrumental Jazz Performance - Soloist or Small Group
- From 1965 to 1966 it was awarded as Best Instrumental Jazz Performance - Small Group or Soloist
- In 1967 it was awarded as Best Instrumental Jazz Performance - Group or Soloist with Group
- From 1968 to 1971 it was awarded as Best Instrumental Jazz Performance, Small Group or Soloist with Small Group
- From 1972 to 1978 it was awarded as Best Jazz Performance by a Group
- From 1979 to 1992 it was awarded as Best Jazz Instrumental Performance, Group
- From 1993 to 2000 it was awarded as Best Jazz Instrumental Performance, Individual or Group
- From 2001 to 2011 it was awarded as Best Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group
Years reflect the year in which the Grammy Awards were presented, for works released in the previous year.
- Joey Alexander – My Favorite Things
- Terence Blanchard featuring the E-Collective – Breathless
- Robert Glasper and the Robert Glasper Trio – Covered: Recorded Live at Capitol Studios
- Jimmy Greene – Beautiful Life
- Kenny Barron Trio – Book of Intuition
- Peter Erskine – Dr Um
- Fred Hersch Trio – Sunday Night at the Vanguard
- Joshua Redman & Brad Mehldau – Nearness