Grammy Award for Best Improvised Jazz Solo
The Grammy Award for Best Improvised Jazz Solo has been awarded since 1959. Before 1979 the award title did not specify instrumental performances and was presented for instrumental or vocal performances. The award has had several minor name changes:
- In 1959 the award was known as Best Jazz Performance, Individual
- In 1960 it was awarded as Best Jazz Performance - Soloist
- From 1961 to 1971 the award was combined with the Grammy Award for Best Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group
- From 1972 to 1978 it was awarded as Best Jazz Performance by a Soloist
- From 1979 to 1988 it was awarded as Best Jazz Instrumental Performance, Soloist
- From 1989 to 1990 it was awarded as Best Jazz Instrumental Performance Soloist (on a jazz recording)
- In 1991 it was awarded as Best Jazz Instrumental Performance, Soloist
- From 1992 to 2008 it was awarded as Best Jazz Instrumental Solo
- Since 2009 it has been awarded as Best Improvised Jazz Solo
Winners and nominees
Winners in bold
- Chick Corea - "All Blues"
- Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah for Guinevere
- Regina Carter for Pachamama
- Gerald Clayton for Celia
- Joshua Redman - Moe Honk
- Randy Brecker - Sozinho
- Melissa Aldana - Elsewhere
- Julian Lage - Tomorrow Is The Question
- Branford Marsalis - The Windup
- Christian McBride - Sightseeing
- John Daversa - Don't Fence Me In
- Regina Carter - Some Of That Sunshine
- Fred Hersch - We See
- Brad Mehldau - De-Dah
- Miguel Zenón - Cadenas
- John McLaughlin - Miles Beyond
- Sara Caswell - Can't Remember Why
- Billy Childs - Dance of Shiva
- Fred Hersch - Whisper Not
- Chris Potter - Ilimba
- John Scofield, "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry"
- Joey Alexander, "Countdown"
- Ravi Coltrane, "In Movement"
- Fred Hersch, "We See"
- Brad Mehldau, "I Concentrate on You"
- Christian McBride, "Cherokee"
- Joey Alexander, "Giant Steps"
- Donny McCaslin, "Arbiters of Evolution"
- Joshua Redman, "Friend or Foe"
- John Scofield, "Past Present"
- Chick Corea, "Fingerprints"
- Kenny Barron, "The Eye of the Hurricane"
- Fred Hersch, "You & the Night & the Music"
- Joe Lovano, "Recorda Me"
- Brad Mehldau, "Sleeping Giant"