Gran Akuma at a Chikara show in 2008
|Birth name||Gran Akuma|
December 20, 1974 |
|Professional wrestling career|
|Ring name(s)||Gran Akuma
|Billed height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Billed weight||188 lb (85 kg)|
|Trained by||Mike Quackenbush
|Debut||October 12, 2002|
Gran Akuma (born December 20, 1974) is a professional wrestler who currently works for Chikara. He has also worked for Combat Zone Wrestling (CZW), Dragon Gate USA and Full Impact Pro (FIP). In Chikara, he was a member of The Kings of Wrestling stable, while also being a part of Team F.I.S.T. with Icarus and Chuck Taylor. On November 17, 2006, Akuma and Icarus defeated Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli to capture the Campeonatos de Parejas.
In 2003 Akuma found a tag team partner in Icarus, and they formed the babyface Team F.I.S.T. (Friends In Similar Tights). The team competed in the 2003 Tag World Grand Prix but were defeated in the semi-finals by The Night Shift (Blind Rage and Hallowicked). Team F.I.S.T then went on to feud with The Wildcards (Eddie Kingston and Blackjack Marciano), leading to an 'Ultimate Jeopardy' match at the 2004 Anniversario show. This match consisted of Team F.I.S.T and Mike Quackenbush vs The Toxic Trio (The Wildcards and Jigsaw) with various stipulations attached. As a result of these stipulations, after Akuma forced Kingston to submit, The Wildcards were shaved bald.
After a second round loss to Claudio Castagnoli and Arik Cannon in the 2005 Tag World Grand Prix, the team snapped and attacked Men@Work (Mister ZERO and Shane Storm) after a match, turning heel for the first time. They then joined up with the Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli and Arik Cannon). This led to a vicious feud between Akuma and Storm, culminating in a "Mascara contra Mascara" match at "Running in the Red" in November which Akuma lost, forcing him to remove his mask.
On November 17, 2006 at Brick, Team F.I.S.T. defeated their stablemates Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli for the Chikara Campeonatos de Parejas. Team F.I.S.T. held the titles until October 26, 2007, when they were defeated by Incoherence (Delirious and Hallowicked) at Chikara's "Bruised" event. Gran Akuma was injured and had to watch from ringside as his Team F.I.S.T. stablemate Chuck Taylor wrestled in his place.
Gran Akuma won the 2009 King of Trios tournament with his two partners Icarus and Chuck Taylor when they beat "Team Uppercut" (Bryan Danielson, Claudio Castagnoli and Dave Taylor) in the final during the "Night 3" of the event in March 2009.
On April 23, 2010, F.I.S.T. entered the 2010 King of Trios tournament, attempting to become the first two-time King of Trios winners. After defeating The Throwbacks (Dasher Hatfield, Sugar Dunkerton and Matt Classic) in the first round, F.I.S.T. was eliminated in the second round by Team Osaka Pro (Atsushi Kotoge, Daisuke Harada and Tadasuke). During the tournament F.I.S.T. was observed by Johnny Gargano, a self admitted fan of the team, who managed to stir up problems between its members by suggesting that the team had a weak link, which led to Taylor, who had been pinned in the match against Osaka Pro, pointing out Akuma and Akuma retaliating by claiming that Icarus was and always had been the weak link. Taylor caused even more dissension in F.I.S.T. by offering himself to Dragon Gate USA's World–1 stable, a competitor of Kamikaze USA, Gran Akuma's stable in the company. On July 26 at Chikarasaurus Rex: King of Show F.I.S.T. was defeated in a six man tag team match by Cima, Masaaki Mochizuki and Super Shenglong, when Cima pinned Akuma. After the match Icarus and Taylor turned on Akuma, kicked him out of both F.I.S.T. and Chikara and gave his spot in the stable to Johnny Gargano.
Dragon Gate USA (2009–2010)
On July 25, 2009, Akuma appeared on Dragon Gate USA's first pay-per-view Enter the Dragon in an eight man tag team Chikara showcase match, where he, Icarus, Amasis and Hallowicked were defeated by Mike Quackenbush, Jigsaw, Fire Ant and Soldier Ant. After the match Akuma turned on his fellow Chikara wrestlers Quackenbush and Jigsaw and joined Yamato's Kamikaze USA stable. On September 6 at the second PPV titled Untouchable Akuma and Yamato were defeated in a tag team match by Quackenbush and Jigsaw. On November 28 at the third PPV Freedom Fight Akuma entered the tournament to crown the first Open the Freedom Gate Champion and made it all the way to the finals, before losing the four-way match to BxB Hulk. Kamikaze USA continued its feud with Quackenbush and the Chikara Sekigun and on July 24 at the tapings of the Enter the Dragon 2010 pay–per–view, Kamikaze USA members Akuma, Yamato, Jon Moxley and Akira Tozawa were defeated in an eight man elimination tag team match by Quackenbush, Jigsaw, Hallowicked and Masato Yoshino.
Combat Zone Wrestling (2010–2011)
After making several sporadic appearances for Combat Zone Wrestling (CZW) from 2004 to 2006, Gran Akuma returned to the promotion as a regular on November 13, 2010, at Night of Infamy 9: Betrayal, where he, billed simply as Akuma (stylized in all capital letters) defeated Kit Osbourne. On December 11 at Cage of Death XII Akuma defeated Alex Colon, Jonathan Gresham, Rich Swann, Ruckus and Ryan McBride in a six–way match to qualify for the Best of the Best X tournament. On April 9, Akuma was eliminated from the Best of the Best tournament in the first round by Zack Sabre, Jr., ending his undefeated streak in CZW. He left CZW shortly thereafter.
Return to Chikara (2011–present)
On November 12, 2011, Akuma made his return to Chikara, chasing former tag team partner Icarus from the ring as he was attacking Steve "The Turtle" Weiner. The following day at Chikara's first internet pay-per-view, High Noon, Akuma again tried to attack Icarus, after he had defeated Gregory Iron, but accidentally hit Iron instead. On January 28, 2012, Akuma and Icarus had their first match against each other, which ended in a double countout. Akuma was then put in a trial series to earn his way back to Chikara's roster, which built to a three-on-one handicap match on April 28, where Akuma defeated all three members of F.I.S.T. On June 2 at Chikarasaurus Rex: How to Hatch a Dinosaur, Akuma defeated Icarus in a ladder match to earn a Chikara contract. Afterwards, Akuma began regularly teaming with Scott Parker and Shane Matthews. On September 14, the three entered the 2012 King of Trios tournament, but were eliminated in their first round match by The Batiri (Kobald, Kodama and Obariyon).
He also made an appearance for Pennsylvania Premiere Wrestling on September 14, 2013, with a win over Eric Alverado.
- Finishing moves
- Signature moves
- 450° splash
- Arm trap cross-legged grounded abdominal stretch
- Frog splash
- Multiple kick variations
- Multiple suplex variations
- Running high-angle sitout powerbomb
- Scoop powerslam
- Entrance themes
Championships and accomplishments
- NWA Television Heavyweight Championship (1 time, current)
- Pro Wrestling Entertainment
Luchas de Apuestas record
|Winner (wager)||Loser (wager)||Location||Event||Date||Notes|
|Gran Akuma (hair)||BlackJack Marciano and Eddie Kingston (hair)||Emmaus, Pennsylvania||Chikara Aniversario 3: Dodging the Sophomore Jinx||May 22, 2004|||
|Shane Storm (mask)||Gran Akuma (mask)||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania||Running in Red||November 13, 2005|||
- "Gran Akuma". cagematch.de. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- "CZW profile". Combat Zone Wrestling. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- "Gran Akuma". Chikarafans.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Gran Akuma". fullimpactpro.com. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- ""Chikara Live" - 10/12/2002". Chikarafans.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- ""Young Lions Cup: Night One" - 11/9/2002". Chikarafans.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Babinsack, Joe. "Joe Babinsack looks at Manami Toyota in Chikara". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved 2010-11-02.
We can talk BDK (Bruderschaft Des Kreuzes), we can talk F.I.S.T. (Friends in Similar Tights), we can talk Da Soul Touchaz, or we can just roll into the matches.)
- ""Tag World Grand Prix" - 7/5/2003". Chikarafans.com. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- ""Aniversario 3: Dodging the Sophomore Jinx" - 5/22/2004". Chikarafans.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- ""Tag World Grand Prix 2005: Night One" - 2/18/2005". Chikarafans.com. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- ""Running in the Red" - 11/13/2005". Chikarafans.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- ""Brick" - 11/17/2006". Chikarafans.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- ""Bruised" - 10/26/2007". Chikarafans.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Chikara - Official results". Chikara. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- Ford, Kevin (2010-06-20). "The CHIKARA Special 6.20.10: Needs More Vuvuzela". 411Mania. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- "Blog #124 – Chuck Taylor". Chikara. 2010-06-25. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- "Blog #125 – Gran Akuma". Chikara. 2010-07-02. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- Ford, Kevin (2010-07-11). "The CHIKARA Special 7.11.10: The Animal Kingdom". 411Mania. Retrieved 2010-07-25.
- Lansdell, Chris (2010-07-25). "Chikarasaurus Rex Results". 411Mania. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- Radican, Sean (2009-08-31). "Radican's DGUSA 9/4 Enter The Dragon PPV Review (Yamato-Hulk, Young Bucks-Cima & Yokosuka)". PW Torch. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- Radican, Sean (2009-12-17). "Ongoing DGUSA "Open The Untouchable Gate" PPV Taping Results (Jacobs debuts)". PWTorch. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- Bryant, Travis (2009-11-29). "11/28 DGUSA "Open The Freedom Gate" results - Yamato vs. Richards, first champion crowned". PWtorch. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- Johnson, Mike (2010-07-25). "Dragon Gate USA Enter the Dragon II PPV taping live report from Philadelphia, PA: Bryan Danielson vs. Shingo in a must see match, BxB Hulk vs. Mochizuki, Kamikaze USA vs. Chikara and much more from best DGUSA show ever held". Pro Wrestling Insider. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- "'Night of Infamy 9: Betrayal'". Combat Zone Wrestling. 2010-11-13. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- "'Cage Of Death XII'". Combat Zone Wrestling. 2010-12-11. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- Meltzer, Dave (2011-04-10). "Sun. update: GSP vs. Shields, Hall, Stratus movie premiere, Rima Fakih, Memphis Heat, PWG, CZW". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- Csonka, Larry (2011-11-12). "Chikara Cibernetico Results 11.12.11". 411Mania. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- Radican, Sean (2011-11-13). "Radican's Chikara "High Noon" iPPV coverage 11/13 -Quackenbush vs. Kingston, Young Bucks vs. The Colony". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-11-13.
- Boutwell, Josh (2012-02-04). "Viva La Raza! Lucha Weekly". WrestleView. Retrieved 2012-02-04.
- Radican, Sean (2012-06-02). "Radican's Chikara "Chikarasaurus Rex" iPPV review 6/2 - live coverage of event from Philaldephia". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "Wink Vavasseur blog". Chikara. 2012-06-06. Retrieved 2012-08-08.
- Namako, Jason (2012-09-15). "9/14 Chikara "King of Trios: Night 1" Results: Easton, PA". WrestleView. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Theme Music History". Chikara Fans. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- "Chikara Title Histories". titlehistories.com. Retrieved 2008-07-15.
- Gee Schoon Tong, Chris (2013-08-10). "Show results - 8/9 FIP Heatstroke iPPV: Baretta wins FIP Title, mixed tag TLC match, more". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- "Independent Wrestling Results - April 2005". Online World of Wrestling. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- "Independent Wrestling Results - July 2005". Online World of Wrestling. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- ""PWI 500": 201–300". Pro Wrestling Illustrated. 2010-07-31. Retrieved 2010-07-31.
- Six man tag team match, where Akuma, Icarus and Mike Quackenbush faced The Toxic Trio (Marciano, Kingston and Jigsaw) with Akuma's and Jigsaw's masks, Icarus', Kingston's and Marciano's hairs and Quackenbush's six championship belts on the line.Kevin Ford. "CHIKARA Aniversario 3: Dodging the Sophomore Jinx". The CHIKARA Special. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Kevin Ford. "CHIKARA Running in the Red". The CHIKARA Special. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gran Akuma.|