Gran Hotel (TV series)
|Country of origin||Spain|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||39 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producers||Ramón Campos|
|Running time||70–80 minutes|
|Original network||Antena 3|
|Original release||4 October 2011 –|
25 June 2013
Gran Hotel (English: Grand Hotel) is a Spanish drama television series directed by Carlos Sedes and starring Yon González and Amaia Salamanca. It first aired on Antena 3 in Spain on 11 October 2011 and on Sky Arts 1 in the UK on 18 November 2012.
The series, filmed at the Palacio de la Magdalena in Santander, is set in an early 20th century aristocratic hotel during the reign of King Alfonso XIII and is centered on the mysteries that involve the owner's family and the hotel servants.
The events take place in 1906–1907 in Spain, near a town called Cantaloa. The working-class Julio Olmedo arrives at the luxurious Grand Hotel to visit his sister Cristina, who works there as a maid and who has recently been promoted to floor manager. Julio is told by a waiter that Cristina was fired for theft a month before, a story Julio does not believe. He is convinced something happened to her at the hotel and there was a coverup. He takes a job there as a waiter under the name Julio Espinosa to investigate his sister's disappearance. He soon finds an ally in Alicia Alarcón, one of the daughters of the hotel's owner Doña Teresa. Alicia, who is being forced to marry hotel manager Diego Murquía, is also suspicious of things happening at the hotel. Together Julio and Alicia work to uncover the secrets of the Gran Hotel.
Julio Olmedo arrives at the Gran Hotel to look for his sister Christina. When he learns that she has been fired for theft and no one has any idea of her whereabouts, he joins the hotel as a waiter. Julio meets Alicia Alarcon, with whom he eventually falls in love. The couple, however, cannot be together as Alicia is engaged to Diego Murquia, the manager of the hotel. At the end of the season, Alicia marries Diego despite being in love with Julio.
|Doña Teresa Aldecoa y Alarcón||Adriana Ozores|
|Alicia Alarcón de Olmedo / Alicia Alarcon de Murquía||Amaia Salamanca|
|Julio Olmedo / Julio Espinosa / Julio Molins||Yon González|
|Javier Alarcón Aldecoa||Eloy Azorín|
|Alfredo Marqués de Vergara||Fele Martínez|
|Benjamín||Manuel de Blas|
|Horacio Ayala||Pep Antón Muñoz|
|Diego Murquía / Adrián Vera Celande||Pedro Alonso|
|Sofía Alarcón de Marquéz de Vergara||Luz Valdenebro|
|Belén Martín de Alarcón||Marta Larralde|
|Andrés Cernuda Alarcón Salinas / Andrés Cernuda Salinas||Llorenç González|
|Ángela Cernuda Salinas||Concha Velasco|
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||9||4 October 2011||6 December 2011|
|2||8||3 October 2012||21 November 2012|
|3||22||22 January 2013||25 June 2013|
In their original Spanish broadcast, episodes had a length of roughly 70 minutes each. For the international stream, Netflix recut all episodes to be 45 minutes of length and repackaged the seasons, resulting in 14 episodes in season 1, 28 episodes in season 2 (which includes the first third of the original season 3), and 24 episodes in season 3.
Season 1 (2011)
|Title ||Directed by||Original air date||Spain viewers|
|1||1||"La doncella en el estanque"||Carlos Sedes||4 October 2011||3.71|
|Julio Olmedo, a young man of humble origin, travels to Cantaloa to visit his sister Cristina, one of the maids of the Grand Hotel. But when he arrives, Julio runs into an ungrateful victim: it's been over a month since anyone knows anything about his sister after she was expelled from the hotel for a supposed robbery. Convinced that there is something obscure in the disappearance of Cristina, Julio decides to stay at the Grand Hotel.|
|2||2||"El anónimo"||Carlos Sedes||11 October 2011||3.47|
|Julio runs into the final test that confirms that his sister has not left the Gran Hotel; Someone has tried to burn Cristina's bloody clothes in one of the hotel kitchens.|
|3||3||"El cuchillo de oro"||Sílvia Quer||18 October 2011||3.40|
|Julio is closer than ever to find out who murdered his sister and the main suspect is none other than Diego, Alicia's fiance. Without a proof that proves it, Julio will only have one possible way for his investigation; find the author of the anonymous Diego, the only person who can shed light on the death of Cristina.|
|4||4||"La casa abandonada"||Sílvia Quer||25 October 2011||3.30|
|5||5||"Luna de sangre"||Carlos Sedes||1 November 2011||3.41|
|6||6||"La joya desaparecida"||Jorge Sánchez Cabezudo||8 November 2011||3.28|
|7||7||"La carta robada"||Carlos Sedes||22 November 2011||3.56|
|8||8||"La sangre de la doncella"||Jorge Sánchez Cabezudo||29 November 2011||2.96|
|9||9||"La huella"||Sílvia Quer||6 December 2011||3.44|
Season 2 (2012)
|Title ||Directed by||Original air date||Spain viewers|
|10||1||"Luces y sombras"||Sílvia Quer||3 October 2012||2.82|
|11||2||"Un llanto en la noche"||Sílvia Quer||10 October 2012||3.09|
|12||3||"El secreto"||Max Lemcke||17 October 2012||2.82|
|13||4||"Retorno al pasado"||Max Lemcke||24 October 2012||2.66|
|14||5||"Cecilia"||Jorge Torregrossa||31 October 2012||2.29|
|15||6||"El aniversario"||Jorge Torregrossa||7 November 2012||2.90|
|16||7||"El bautizo"||Sílvia Quer||14 November 2012||2.90|
|17||8||"El camarógrafo"||Sílvia Quer||21 November 2012||2.94|
Season 3 (2013)
|Title ||Directed by||Original air date||Spain viewers|
|18||1||"Baile de máscaras"||David Pinillos||22 January 2013||2.62|
|19||2||"Propósito de enmienda"||David Pinillos||29 January 2013||2.78|
|20||3||"El secuestro"||Manuel Gómez Pereira||5 February 2013||2.61|
|21||4||"Álbum de familia"||Manuel Gómez Pereira||12 February 2013||N/A|
|22||5||"El juego de las apariencias"||Carlos Sedes||19 February 2013||2.74|
|23||6||"Lazos de sangre"||Carlos Sedes||26 February 2013||2.51|
|24||7||"El círculo del mediodía"||Sílvia Quer||5 March 2013||2.57|
|25||8||"La última noche"||Sílvia Quer||13 March 2013||2.73|
|26||9||"El primer día"||Sílvia Quer||19 March 2013||2.72|
|27||10||"Valtejar"||Sílvia Quer||2 April 2013||2.71|
|28||11||"La venta"||Carlos Sedes||9 April 2013||2.60|
|29||12||"El torreón"||Carlos Sedes||16 April 2013||2.69|
|30||13||"Nobleza obliga"||David Pinillos||23 April 2013||2.70|
|31||14||"La subasta"||David Pinillos||30 April 2013||2.54|
|32||15||"La variante del dragón"||Sílvia Quer||7 May 2013||2.60|
|33||16||"El enemigo en casa"||Sílvia Quer||14 May 2013||2.50|
|34||17||"El escarmiento"||Carlos Sedes||21 May 2013||2.51|
|35||18||"La ejecución"||Carlos Sedes||28 May 2013||2.61|
|36||19||"La salud de los difuntos"||Jorge Sánchez Cabezudo||4 June 2013||2.66|
|37||20||"Revancha"||Jorge Sánchez Cabezudo||11 June 2013||2.56|
|38||21||"El sacrificio"||Sílvia Quer||18 June 2013||2.70|
|39||22||"Cólera"||Sílvia Quer||25 June 2013||2.62|
In France, the series premiered on Téva on 1 June 2012 and on M6 on 4 July 2012. In Russia, it started airing on Domashny on 11 June 2012. The rights to broadcast Grand Hotel were acquired in the United Kingdom by Sky Arts. The series has also been sold to Turkey (Sinema TV Aşk), Lithuania (LNK), Estonia (Sony Entertainment Estonia and Kanal 11) and Venezuela (Televen). In Germany, the rights were acquired by Sony Entertainment Television  and on the free-TV-channel Disney Channel. In Poland the series started on 12 November 2013 by AXN White in its original language and Polish lector. In Slovakia, broadcasting by RTVS TV canal, started on the 7th of January 2014. In Serbia, it started airing on RTS 2 on 10 March 2015. In Bulgaria the series started on 5 June 2015 on Nova Television.
In the summer of 2016, Alpha television in Greece ceased broadcasting of the show.
On IMDB the series received a favourable 8.4 rating.
|Season||Episodes||First aired||Last aired||Avg. viewers|
|1||9||4 October 2011||3.71||6 December 2011||3.44||3.40|
|2||8||3 October 2012||2.82||21 November 2012||2.94||2.81|
|3||22||22 January 2013||2.62||25 June 2013||2.62||2.52|
There have been several international remakes and adaptations of Gran Hotel:
- Italy's Rai 1 premiered an adaptation directed by Luca Ribuoli on 1 September 2015. The Italian version was re-titled in German-speaking countries as Hotel Imperial when it was broadcast by Servus TV on 29 July 2016. The Italian version consists of six episodes of two hours each, whereas the German broadcast has been divided into twelve one hour episodes.
- Mexican network Televisa produced an adaptation, El hotel de los secretos (The Hotel of Secrets), that premiered on Las Estrellas channel in January 2016.
- Egypt's CBC produced a popular Arabic market adaptation of Grand Hotel as a musalsal in 2016 which received critical acclaim and several awards. Netflix released the Egyptian version, under the title Secret of the Nile and with English, French, German, Italian and Spanish subtitles, on 15 March 2018. It is the first Egyptian series to air on Netflix.
- In the United States, ABC premiered an adaptation called Grand Hotel, set in Miami in the present day, on 17 June 2019. It was cancelled in October 2019 after one season.
- In France, TF1 produced and premiered an adaptation called Grand Hôtel, set on the French Riviera in the present day, on 3 September 2020.
- "Capítulos Gran Hotel". formulatv.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 24 November 2017. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Audiencias Gran Hotel". formulatv.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 24 November 2017. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- Grand Hôtel
- "Гранд отель". domashniy.ru. Archived from the original on 2012-12-09. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- "Grand Hotel". sinematv.com.tr. Archived from the original on 2018-01-18.
- "Serialas – Viešbutis "Grand Hotel" – LNK". lnk.lt.
- "Grand Hotel". sonyentertainment.tv.
- "Grand Hotel", axnwhite.pl
- "RTVS.sk". rtvs.sk.
- Serbia, RTS, Radio televizija Srbije, Radio Television of. "Hotel Grand".
- "Мистерии и изпепеляваща любов в сериала "Гранд хотел"". Novatv.bg. 5 June 2015.
- "Gran Hotel". vmetv.com.
- "Grand Hotel". GEM TV. Archived from the original on 2018-01-18.
- "Eugenio Franceschini: "In 'Grand Hotel' ho messo del mio"". Adnkronos. 26 August 2015.
- Riedmeier, Glenn (11 July 2016). ""Hotel Imperial": Servus TV zeigt italienische "Grand Hotel"-Adaption". TV Wunschliste.
- "Remake De 'Gran Hotel' En México Se Llamará 'El Hotel De Los Secretos'". NovelaLounge.com. 19 October 2015. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- El Goarany, Ahmed (3 July 2016). "Grand Hotel: a journey through time". Daily News Egypt. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- "Beelink: Secret of the Nile premiered on Netflix". Prensario Internacional. 26 March 2018.
- "Netflix releases a unique compilation of films and series for March". Egypt Today. 11 March 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (21 November 2017). "Eva Longoria Producing 'Grand Hotel' Soapy Drama Based On Spanish Format In Works At ABC". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- Marr, Madeleine (11 June 2019). "'Secrets, lies, deception:' Eva Longoria's 'Grand Hotel' has big Miami Beach premiere". Miami Herald. Retrieved 16 June 2019.
- Dove, Steve (11 May 2018). "New Drama "Grand Hotel" Coming MONDAY JUNE 17 10/9c on ABC". ABC.