Granada Metro CAF Urbos units.
|Native name||Metro de Granada - Metropolitano de Granada|
|Owner||Regional Government of Andalusia|
|Transit type||Light rail|
|Number of lines||1|
|Number of stations||26|
|Website||Metro de Granada|
|Began operation||21 September 2017|
|Operator(s)||Metro De Granada - Junta de Andalucía|
|Number of vehicles||15 CAF Urbos light rail vehicles|
|System length||15.920 km (9.9 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,445 mm (4 ft 8 7⁄8 in),|
1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge
The Granada Metro (Metro de Granada in Spanish) is a light rail line in the city of Granada, Spain and its metropolitan area. It crosses Granada and covers the towns of Albolote, Maracena and Armilla, with underground sections in central Granada and overground sections elsewhere. The line opened on 21 September 2017, and serves 26 stations, of which 3 stations in central Granada are underground.
Construction of the line began in 2007. The metro was initially planned to open in early 2012, and by May 2011 the line was 73% completed. However, funding ran out as a result of the Spanish economic crisis, with only 250 million of the estimated 502 million euros available. In 2012, the remaining funds were secured through a 260 million loan from the European Investment Bank. and the planned date of completion was moved to early 2014. However, further delays resulted in a shortfall in funding, which was only resolved on 1 July 2014.
- La puesta en marcha del metro de Granada se retrasa hasta 2014, El País, 25 May 2012
- Spain election: Metro eyesore blights Granada, BBC News, 18 November 2011
- Barrow, Keith (21 September 2017). "Granada opens first light rail line". www.railjournal.com. International Railway Journal. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- Spain's town hall meltdown, The Independent, 30 October 2011
- "El metro de Granada entrará en funcionamiento en marzo de 2017 y costará menos de un euro | Vídeo". Granada Digital (in Spanish). Retrieved 2017-09-21.
Media related to Granada metro at Wikimedia Commons
|This Spain-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about transport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|