Grand Army of the Republic Cemetery (Portland, Oregon)
|Website||Grand Army of the Republic Cemetery from the Metro website|
The Grand Army of the Republic Cemetery is a cemetery for American Civil War veterans in the U.S. city of Portland, Oregon. It is located at S.W. Palatine Hill Road and S.W. Boones Ferry Road, next to River View Cemetery.
Fourteen Union Civil War veterans, members of the Grand Army of the Republic, formed the Grand Army Cemetery Association and purchased the cemetery in 1882. The Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War took over the management and administration of the cemetery at that time.
Ownership of the cemetery eventually passed to the State of Oregon in 1961 then to Multnomah County, Oregon in 1971. In 1996 ownership was granted to Metro Regional Parks and Greenspaces. The oldest marker is dated October 15, 1889.
- Cemetery Record for the grave of Salmon Brown from the Metro website
- Grand Army of the Republic Cemetery from the Metro website
- Cemetery Record for the grave of Hartwell B. Compson from the Metro website
- Media related to Grand Army of the Republic Cemetery (Portland, Oregon) at Wikimedia Commons
- Union Army sentry returns to his Portland post after long absence - The Oregonian
|This United States military article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|