Protectorate of Westarctica
Motto: Fortune favors the bold
|Capital||Peter I Island|
|Official languages||English, German|
|Organizational structure||Constitutional Monarchy|
|2 November, 2001|
|1,600,000 km2 (620,000 sq mi)|
Westarctica (officially the Protectorate of Westarctica, formerly known as the Grand Duchy of Westarctica) is a micronation founded in 2001 by Travis McHenry. It consists of the territory located between the New Zealand Antarctic Territory and the Chilean one, specifically the portion of Antarctica located between 90 degrees and 150 degrees west longitude and south of the 60th parallel. It coincides with the territory known as Marie Byrd Land. It includes 620,000 square miles of land, but though it claims over 2,000 citizens, none of them reside within the claimed territory. Like all micronations, Westarctica is not politically recognized as a nation by any other modern state.
- Bahareth, Mohammad (December 2011). Micronations: For Those Who Are Tired of Existing Incompetent Governments and Are Longing for Something New and Refreshing. iUniverse. ISBN 9781462069262.
- Milan Aleck (2 February 2018). "Molossia, Westarctica und Co.: Kennen Sie diese Mikronationen?". Web.de (in German).
- Raj Aditya Chaudhuri (27 October 2018). "After running a country for 15 years, he hopes to see it someday". Conde Nast Traveller.
- Justin Streight (11 April 2015). "Micronations Summit In California: Biggest Names From Tiniest Nations". Inquisitr.
- Eugenio Cabezas (1 November 2018). "Westarctica abre una embajada en Nerja". Sur (in Spanish).