Grand Marais/Cook County Airport
|Grand Marais/Cook County Airport|
|Serves||Grand Marais, Minnesota|
|Elevation AMSL||1,799 ft / 548 m|
Grand Marais/Cook County Airport (IATA: GRM, ICAO: KCKC, FAA LID: CKC) is a county owned public use airport located eight miles (13 km) northwest of the central business district of Grand Marais, a city in Cook County, Minnesota, United States. This airport replaced the former Devil's Track Municipal Airport (FAA: GRM) located on the shore of Devil's Track Lake, one mile (1.6 km) south of the current airport.
Although most U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, Grand Marais/Cook County Airport is assigned CKC by the FAA and GRM by the IATA (which assigned CKC to Cherkasy, Ukraine).
Facilities and aircraft
Grand Marais/Cook County Airport covers an area of 220 acres (89 ha) at an elevation of 1,799 feet (548 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 9/27 with a 4,199 x 75 ft (1,280 x 23 m) asphalt surface. For the 12-month period ending July 31, 2005, the airport had 3,200 general aviation aircraft operations, an average of 267 per month.
In the summer of 2009, the airport received $95,000 for the FAA to conduct an environmental impact study on a proposed expansion to the airport. On May 26, 2009, airport manager Rod Roy told a Cook County board meeting that the expansion—which would widen the existing runway and increase its length to 5,000 feet from the existing 4,200 feet—would allow firefighting planes to operate from the airport. Roy also said that the project with cost approximately $12 million and may be spread out over three years. As of June 2014, no new construction has occurred, with the project cost estimated cost at $5 million. In April 2014, the City of Silver Bay transferred $150,000 to the airport for the project.
- FAA Airport Master Record for CKC ( PDF), effective 2008-04-10
- Skyport Airport / Devil's Track Municipal Airport (GRM) at Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields
- GRM / KCKC - Grand Marais/Cook County Airport - Grand Marais, Minnesota at Great Circle Mapper
- CKC / UKKE - Cherkassy, Ukraine at Great Circle Mapper
- "County airport receives 95,000 grant award". Grand Marais, Minn.: Cook County News-Herald. 2009-07-04. Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- "Cook County Chamber supports airport runway extension project". Cook County News Herald. August 31, 2013. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- Larsen, Brian (May 3, 2014). "County highway department has busy season". Cook County News Herald. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- Grand Marais Cook County Airport & Seaplane Base
- "Grand Marais-Cook County Airport (CKC)" (PDF). (255 KiB) at Minnesota DOT Airport Directory
- Resources for this airport: