Grand Master of Magic Award
|Grand Master of Magic® Award|
|Awarded for||A lifetime of excellence in the magical arts|
The Grand Master of Magic® Award is a lifetime achievement award presented by the Brotherhood of Auckland Magicians Incorporated on behalf of the magicians of New Zealand. It was first awarded in 1969 and to date it has been awarded on eighteen occasions.
Criteria for the Grand Master of Magic®
The criteria for the Grand Master of Magic Award was formalised in 1998 and is as follows :
"Its purpose is to honour those magicians who are acknowledged by their fellow magicians to be masters of the art and craft of magic. The recipients first and foremost must be performers of a high standard. In addition they might be originators of magical effects, or administrators giving time and expertise to running societies and conventions. They could be consistent competition winners, or have an international standing, or be known only in the New Zealand setting. But above all they are people who have served magic well, have graced our art, and made a special contribution over many years."
- 1969 - Edgar Benyon
- 1976 - Jack Read
- 1985 - Jon & Janet Zealando
- 1988 - Jim Reilly
- 1989 - Harold Chandler
- 1990 - Francis Newmarch JP
- 1995 - Peter & Phillipa Evans
- 1998 - Tony Wilson
- 1999 - Graham Grant
- 2001 - Barry Brook QSM
- 2001 - Bernard Reid
- 2002 - Burns Scandrett
- 2004 - Wayne Rogers
- 2006 - Alan Watson QSM
- 2008 - Greg Britt MNZM
- 2009 - Ken Bates
- 2013 - Richard Webster
- 2015 - Paul Romhany
- "Brotherhood of Auckland Magicians : Grand Master of Magic Award information".
- "Grand Master of Magic criteria".
- "Benyon Biography, MagicPedia".
- "James V. Reilly. 'Benyon, Edgar Wilson - Benyon, Edgar Wilson', from the Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, updated 30-Oct-2012".
- "Benyon biography, MagicPedia".
- "Jon Zealando GMM Accolades".
- "Peter Evans Biography on the Variety Artists Club of New Zealand Benny Award Winners Biography Page". Archived from the original on 2012-10-22.
- "Magic New Zealand Ezyne : Barry Brook GMM Citation".
- "Magic New Zealand Ezyne : Bernard Reid GMM Citation".
- "Magic New Zealand Ezyne : Burns Scandrett GMM Citation".
- "Wayne Rogers GMM Citation". Archived from the original on 7 February 2012. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "Grand Master of Magic Auckland magician Alan Watson". Archived from the original on 6 February 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "Magic New Zealand Ezyne : Greg Britt GMM Citation".
- John Maslin (29 October 2009). "Grand Master's medal for magic man". Wanganui Chronicle. Retrieved 29 September 2017 – via www.nzherald.co.nz.
- "Best magic moment of all of them - Times Live". Howick Pakuranga Times. 25 February 2013. Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "Grand Master of Magic Recipients".