This article has an unclear citation style.April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
Le Grand Ricci (or Grand dictionnaire Ricci de la langue chinoise, Simplified Chinese : 利氏汉法辞典 ; Traditional Chinese : 利氏漢法辭典 ; pinyin : Lìshì Hàn-Fǎ cídiǎn ; literally : “Dictionnaire chinois-français Ricci” (2001), from the name of the 15th century Italian missionary, Matteo Ricci.
It is composed of seven volumes of more than 1,200 pages each, identifying 13,500 characters, and about 300,000 entries of terms and expressions. It is, therefore, the largest Chinese-French dictionary yet, and probably the largest dictionary of Chinese into a Western language.
It has become widely known since its publication in 2001, Le Grand Ricci is the most comprehensive up-to-date dictionary of Chinese into a modern Western language. Though it covers the whole history of Chinese language development, most of the dictionary deals with early and imperial period Chinese language usage.
"It is difficult to imagine any scholar in Chinese studies who will not eagerly welcome this new digital incarnation of the Le Grand Ricci. Le Grand Ricci is to all purposes the most comprehensive bilingual dictionary of Chinese in the Western world. It covers three millennia of the Chinese language, from the Classics to the modern age, and is encyclopedic in its scope. The compilers were able to draw on the full range of French sinological expertise in completing the project. Since its publication Le Grand Ricci has established itself as an indispensable reference tool. Now available online, and easily searchable, its functionality has only further increased."
Wilt L. Idema. Research Professor of Chinese Literature, Harvard
On the 11th of May, 2010, the DVD version was presented for the first time at the Shanghai Museum. The resources of the Ricci dictionary are available on Android phones and tablets and Apple IOS via Pleco Software.
- "Le Grand Ricci Online - Brill". www.brill.com.
- Idema, Wilt L. "Research Professor of Chinese Literature, Harvard".
- Ricci Institutes of the Paris Ricci Institute and of the Taipei Ricci Institute : Le Grand Dictionnaire Ricci de la langue chinoise, Paris, Desclée de Brouwer, 2001, ISBN 2-220-04667-2.
- id : Le Grand Ricci numérique, Dictionnaire encyclopédique de la langue chinoise, sur DVD-ROM, Editions du Cerf, Paris, 2010, ISBN 978-2-204-09239-5.
- Taipei Ricci Institute : |利氏學社 《利氏漢法辭典》, 台北, 1999, ISBN 2-220-04592-7
- Jesuit China missions
- Alexander of Rhodes