Granite Hills High School (El Cajon, California)
|Granite Hills High School|
1719 East Madison Avenue|
El Cajon, California
|School district||Grossmont Union High School District|
|Color(s)||Navy blue and Columbia blue|
|Rival||Valhalla High School|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Website||Granite Hills High School|
Granite Hills High School is a California Distinguished School, public and comprehensive high school located in El Cajon, California and serves students in grades nine through twelve. Opened in 1960, Granite Hills is one of thirteen high schools in the Grossmont Union High School District. GHHS is the home of the Eagles. Granite Hills High School has been an IB World School since July 2001.
Recently Granite Hills has been undergoing some construction to many of its classes. The football field has also been renovated.
It was discovered that Granite's soil contains a large amount of carcinogens. As of January, 2009, studies were in progress and the source of contamination was unknown. Tainted dirt has also been found at other schools in the district. In January 2009 the long time eagle statue, "Ernie", was ripped off of its base by vandals and destroyed.
Granite Hills Marching Band
The students in the GHHS Marching Band perform at the Mother Goose Parade, Christmas in the lights, Alpine Parade, and at every home football game especially the Homecoming game. The marching Eagles also go to "Band Night" featuring the SDSU Marching Aztecs and gathering other marching bands from the GUHSD District. Popular tunes such as the "007 Theme" and "Bon Jovi Theme" highlight the "GUHSD Marching Band and Color Guard Field Show Extravaganza" held every year. During second semester they do winter and spring concerts as the "Concert Band". Some are joint concerts with middle schools from Cajon Valley School District.
During fifth period, minutes after lunch period had ended on March 22, 2001, 18-year-old Former GHHS Student, Jason Hoffman arrived on campus and opened fire on the attendance office, which also houses the principal and vice principals' offices, from the outside. Five people were either injured by shrapnel or suffered severe symptoms from the traumatic experience but few victims incurred bullet wounds. Hoffman was shot in the buttocks and jaw. He was arrested by police officer Rich Agundez, who had been on campus during school hours since the shooting two weeks earlier at a high school within the same district, Santana High School. Hoffman would later commit suicide by hanging himself from bedsheets in his prison cell in November 2002.
FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) Room 20 at lunchtime on Tuesdays
Granite Hills Acting Workshop (G.H.A.W.)
Club Zion (Music Appreciation)
New Student Club
Creates With Paints
The Clarion (School Newspaper)
Native American club
Video Game Club
Granite Hills offers every CIF sanctioned sport.
This section does not cite any sources. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Joe Cardona, 2010, NFL, New England Patriots long snapper, Super Bowl LI Champion
- David Lee, 1999, U.S. Olympic Volleyball Team, 2008 and 2012
- Julia Schultz, 1997, model and actress
- Marcus Giles, 1996, Major League Baseball second baseman, San Diego Padres, Atlanta Braves
- Duncan D. Hunter, 1994, Republican U.S. Representative of California's 50th congressional district.
- Jimmie Johnson, 1993, 7 time (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, and 2016) NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion
- Shane Spencer, 1990, Nippon Professional Baseball outfielder, Hanshin Tigers and previously Major League Baseball New York Yankees, Toronto Blue Jays, Texas Rangers, Cleveland Indians, and New York Mets
- Brian Giles, 1989, Major League Baseball right fielder, San Diego Padres and previously Cleveland Indians and Pittsburgh Pirates
- Tommy Vardell, 1987, NFL San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns and Detroit Lions
- Joe Roth, 1973, former All-American quarterback at the University of California, Berkeley
- Travis Taijeron, MLB player for the New York Mets
- List of high schools in California
- List of high schools in San Diego County, California
- List of high schools in Grossmont Union High School District
- "Granite Hills High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 13, 2017.
- Carcinogen discovered in soil at 5 schools by Leonel Sanchez, San Diego Union-Tribune January 16, 2009
- Granite Hills High School website
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges Directory of Accredited Schools 2005-2006 (PDF)