||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014)|
Bowler at 2012 Toronto International Film Festival
18 July 1968 |
Auckland, New Zealand
|Occupation||Actor, television presenter|
|Years active||1993 - present|
|Spouse(s)||Roxane Wilson (2001–2011; divorced)|
Grant Bowler (born 18 July 1968) is a New Zealand-born actor who has worked in American, Australian, New Zealand, and Canadian film, television, and theatre.
He is known for playing the role of Constable Wayne Patterson in Blue Heelers and Wolfgang West in Outrageous Fortune. He also appeared as Wilhelmina Slater's love interest Connor Owens in Ugly Betty. In November 2010, he was announced as the host of The Amazing Race Australia. He currently stars as Joshua Nolan on the Syfy television series Defiance.
Bowler is a graduate of the Australian drama school National Institute of Dramatic Art, alongside other graduates including Mel Gibson, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Baz Luhrmann, and Sam Worthington.
His first television role was as Constable Wayne Patterson on Blue Heelers, from 1993 to 1996. After leaving that show, he spent time on Pacific Drive in 1996 and Medivac from 1996 to 1998. He had recurring roles on Always Greener and Stingers, starred in the television adaptation of On the Beach, spent a year on the ABC series Something in the Air, and starred in the 2004 miniseries Through My Eyes about the disappearance of Azaria Chamberlain. Bowler had a recurring role on All Saints from 2004 to 2005.
Bowler also hosted the Australian version of The Mole, hosting the show from 2000 to 2003. He was replaced as host on the 2005 series by Tom Williams because of family commitments and hosting duties with Border Security.
Bowler serves as the narrator of the reality show Border Security: Australia's Front Line, a duty which he began as host in 2004, though he stopped appearing on camera after the first season. Bowler starred in the New Zealand series Outrageous Fortune. Bowler's acting career has developed since he first began playing Wolf, but although the character is not in every episode, he has turned down other roles to continue in Outrageous Fortune.
Starting with the season four episode "Ji Yeon", Bowler plays the guest role of Captain Gault, the captain of a freighter on the popular American television series Lost. He also appeared in Canal Road.
In 2008, he became a recurring regular on Ugly Betty, in which he played the corrupt CFO of Meade Publications (Connor Owens) who romanced the series' main villain Wilhelmina Slater. Bowler said of his character, "He's got a lot of evil secrets." In December 2009, he was cast in the role of Cooter, a werewolf, in the HBO urban fantasy series True Blood, for that show's third season.
He played Hank Rearden in Atlas Shrugged: Part I (2011), the first part of a planned three-part film adaptation of Ayn Rand's novel of the same name. He was also seen in 2011 in The City of Gardens, as well as the film Killer Elite.
Bowler will next be seen in psychological action film, “Swelter”, alongside Jean-Claude Van Damme and Alfred Molina, in the sci-fi thriller 400 Days with Brandon Routh and Dane Cook, Lucky Dog with Amy Smart, and the family movie, Zooey to the Max.
In addition, he will be seen in the war drama Gallipoli set for release in 2015 on Channel 9, Australia.
|1993–1996||Blue Heelers||Constable Wayne Patterson||96 episodes|
|1996||Pacific Drive||Garth Stephens||Episode: "#1.10"|
|1996–1998||Medivac||Dr. Arch Craven||48 episodes|
|1998||Wildside||Peter Simms||Episode: "#1.27"|
|1999||Farscape||Shaman Liko||Episode: "That Old Black Magic"|
|1999–2001||Stingers||Sean Peck||3 episodes|
|2000||Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World||Montague Fitzsimmonds||Episode: "London Calling"|
|2000–2003||Mole, TheThe Mole||Host||10 episodes|
|2001–2002||Something in the Air||Mark Waters||26 episodes|
|2002||White Collar Blue||Steve Petrovic||Episode: "#1.9"|
|2002||Always Greener||Greg Steele||11 episodes|
|2004||McLeod's Daughters||Jarred Wuchowski||Episode: "Fool for Love"|
|2004–2005||All Saints||Nigel "Mac" MacPherson||20 episodes|
|2004–Present||Border Security: Australia's Front Line||Narrator||105 episodes|
|2005–2009||Outrageous Fortune||Wolfgang West||54 episodes|
|2008||Lost||Captain Gault||3 episodes|
|2008||Canal Road||Detective Ray Driscoll||10 episodes|
|2008–2010||Ugly Betty||Connor Owens||17 episodes|
|2010||True Blood||Cooter||7 episodes|
|2011||Panic at Rock Island||Jim Quinn||(TV Movie)|
|2011–2012, 2014||The Amazing Race Australia||Host||24 episodes|
|2012||GCB||Mason Massey||2 episodes|
|2013–Present||Defiance||Joshua Nolan||26 episodes|
|2015||Gallipoli||Lieutenant Colonel William Malone||7 episodes|
|1997||Halifax f.p: Someone You Know||Bob Palance||Episode 13|
|1999||Close Contact||Mike Heyns|
|2000||On the Beach||Lt. Peter Holmes|
|2003||Calling Gerry Molloy||Oliver Laird|
|2004||One of the Oldest Con Games||Sam|
|2004||Through My Eyes: The Lindy Chamberlain Story||Black Rat|
|2007||Fall of Night, TheThe Fall of Night||Harry|
|2011||Killer Elite||Capt. James Cregg|
|2011||City of Gardens||Jesus Christ|
|2011||Atlas Shrugged: Part I||Hank Rearden|
|2011||Steve Niles's Remains||Tom|
|2012||The Great Mint Swindle||Ray Mickelberg||Channel 9|
|2012||Liz & Dick||Richard Burton|
|2013||Defiance (video game)||Chief Lawkeeper Jeb Nolan||(voice)|
|2014||Lucky Dog||Preston Spencer|
- Shattuck, Kathryn (December 4, 2009). "What's On Today > 9 p.m. (ABC) Ugly Betty". The New York Times. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- Coster, Alice (May 11, 2011). "Grant Bowler hosts Channel 7 and Active TV's The Amazing Race Australia". Herald Sun (Melbourne, Australia). Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- "‘Defiance’ Star Grant Bowler Reveals His Gaming Habits". Comcast TV Blog. March 20, 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Grant Bowler Video: Celebrity Interview and Paparazzi". OV Guide. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- "Amazing Race's Grant Bowler splits with wife". Herald Sun (Melbourne, Australia). March 30, 2011. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- "More New Blood – Both Vamp & Lycan Added to True Blood". Dreadcentral.com. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Wolf at the door". Otago Daily Times. 17 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- "SPOILER ALERT: The Ugly Betty Cast Dishes on Season 3 From People.com (September 16, 2008)". Tvwatch.people.com. 2008-09-16. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Final True Blood Season 3 Promo Poster Revealed". Dreadcentral.com. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Atlas Shrugged Part One (2011) : A Utopian Society Made Up of Business Moguls in Fedoras". The New York Times. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Grant Bowler to play Richard Burton opposite Lindsay Lohan’s Liz Taylor". Tvtonight.com.au. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Grant Bowler.|
- Grant Bowler at the Internet Movie Database
- Outrageous Fortune Official site
- Sue Barnett & Associates | Grant Bowler
- "Grant Bowler Signs On For Lead In Syfy’s Upcoming Epic Science Fiction Series, 'Defiance'". Syfy press release via Zap2It.com. January 17, 2012. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- "Grant Bowler on Gallipoli, the 2015 TV miniseries". Stuff/Fairfax. 9 February 2015.