April 4, 1986 |
Gregory Grant Desme (born April 4, 1986, in Bakersfield, California) is a retired professional baseball center fielder. Desme was a junior right fielder at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, when he was drafted in 2007 by the Oakland Athletics. After a 30-30 2009 season in the minors and being named Arizona Fall League MVP, Desme retired.
He attended Stockdale High School in Bakersfield and was an all-area selection as a junior and senior. He was first-team selectee for the Southwest Yosemite League (SWYL). As a senior, he was co-Most Valuable Player of the SWYL.
Desme began his professional baseball career with the Short-Season Vancouver Canadians of the Northwest League in 2007. Desme was selected in the second round of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft before being assigned to the Canadians. He batted .261 with three doubles, one home run, six RBIs and two stolen bases in 12 games. The next season, 2008, he only played two games after he injured his wrist in 2007 and his shoulder the next year. In 2009, Desme had an extraordinary season. He hit a combined .288 with 31 doubles, six triples, 31 home runs, 89 RBIs and 40 stolen bases in 131 games with the Class-A Kane County Cougars and the Class-A Advanced Stockton Ports.
On January 22, 2010, it was reported that Desme planned to retire from professional baseball and study to become a priest. He said this about his situation:
|“||I was doing well at baseball. But I really had to get down to the bottom of things - I love the game, but I aspire to higher things. I wasn't at peace where I was at. I have no regrets.||”|
|— Grant Desme, BBC News: January 22, 2010.|
- "Baseball: Grant Desme: Profile". CBS Interactive (San Diego State Aztec Athletics official website). Retrieved January 30, 2010.
- "2007 DraftTracker". MLB.com. 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2013-07-31.
- "Grant Desme Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights". MiLB.com. Retrieved 2013-07-31.
- Walker, Ben (January 23, 2010). "Highly touted Athletics prospect Grant Desme retires from baseball to enter priesthood". Star Tribune. Minneapolis, MN. Associated Press. Retrieved January 30, 2010.[dead link]
- "Cal Poly's Grant Desme picked by Oakland A's in second round". sanluisobispo.com. June 7, 2007. Retrieved January 24, 2010.[dead link]
- Urban, Mychael (March 15, 2008). "Minor League Report: New arrivals". Major League Baseball. mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved January 24, 2010.
- "Oakland baseball prospect quits to join priesthood". BBC News. 2010-01-23. Retrieved 2013-07-31.
- Passan, Jeff (2012-09-27). "From prospect to priest: Grant Desme leaves the A's, becomes a monk and tries to find his peace". Yahoo.com. Retrieved 2013-07-31.
- Beattie, Trent (8 April 2012). "Ex-Baseball Phenom Discusses Life in a Norbertine Abbey". National Catholic Register. Retrieved 2013-07-31.