Grant Township, Grand Traverse County, Michigan
Grant Township, Michigan
|• Total||36.1 sq mi (93.5 km2)|
|• Land||35.4 sq mi (91.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (1.7 km2)|
|Elevation||1,152 ft (351 m)|
|• Density||26.7/sq mi (10.3/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626378|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.1 square miles (93 km2), of which 35.5 square miles (92 km2) is land and 0.6 square miles (1.6 km2) (1.77%) is water.
- Cayton is a ghost town on the shores of Green Lake ( ).
- Karlin is an unincorporated community on Karlin Road near the Benzie County line ( ).
- Mineralia is a ghost town near Karlin ( )
- Mylo is a ghost town in 3 other townships ( )
- Pavlovic Corner is a community southeast of Karlin ( )
- Penn Lock Colony is a small neighborhood off M-137 across from Youker Road. It is mostly in Green Lake Township, to the north ( ).
- Twin Mountains is an unincorporated community in the highlands in southwest Grant Township ( ).
- Upper Betsie is a community ( )
As of the census of 2000, there were 947 people, 369 households, and 274 families residing in the township. The population density was 26.7 per square mile (10.3/km²). There were 467 housing units at an average density of 13.2 per square mile (5.1/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.10% White, 0.63% Native American, 0.11% Asian, 0.95% from other races, and 0.21% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.16% of the population.
There were 369 households out of which 32.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.3% were married couples living together, 7.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.7% were non-families. 22.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the township the population was spread out with 26.2% under the age of 18, 5.5% from 18 to 24, 27.8% from 25 to 44, 26.5% from 45 to 64, and 14.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 103.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 105.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $37,269, and the median income for a family was $42,000. Males had a median income of $34,196 versus $20,625 for females. The per capita income for the township was $17,282. About 3.1% of families and 6.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.3% of those under age 18 and 9.8% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Grant Township, Grand Traverse County, Michigan