Grantham Hotel, located in Anzac Ave
|Population||492 (2011 census)|
|Elevation||109 m (358 ft)|
|LGA(s)||Lockyer Valley Region|
Grantham is a town in the Lockyer Valley region of Queensland, Australia. The town is located 100 kilometres (62 mi) west of the state capital, Brisbane. At the 2011 census, Grantham and the surrounding area had a population of 492.
The area was first settled in 1841, by George Mocatta. In 1866 a railway siding from the main Toowoomba line was opened which assisted in the development of a small settlement. It wasn't until the mid-1879s that a railway station was built. A butter factory was established in 1907. The building was replaced in 1926 by a brick building which operated until 1971.
2011 flash floods
On 10 January 2011, Grantham was severely damaged in a huge flash flood. Several houses were completely washed away and over 10 people were killed. Throughout the small town, nine people were confirmed to have been killed and several missing, believed dead. Many homes in the town were destroyed by the torrent of water. 50 families were left with nothing, with many more requiring significant assistance from the government and non-profit charities.
In May 2011, it was announced that the town would be moved to higher ground to prevent future damaging floods. A 935-acre site was purchased so that landholders could be provided a voluntary swap of equivalent-sized blocks. The new site is situated on a hill overlooking Grantham and has permission from the state government to bypass the normal development approval process. It is expected that the first residents could be resettled by the end of 2011. Resident of nearby Murphys Creek, Postmans Ridge, Withcott and Helidon have been included in the fast-tracked plan.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "2011 Community Profiles: Grantham (SSC) (State Suburb)". 2011 Census of Population and Housing. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- Environmental Protection Agency (Queensland) (2000). Heritage Trails of the Great South East. State of Queensland. p. 61. ISBN 0-7345-1008-X.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- Maynard, Neale (11 January 2011). "Horrific scenes at Grantham". Courier Mail. Retrieved 11 January 2011.
- "Grave fears for dozens missing in deadly floods", Australian Broadcasting Commission. 11 January 2011, Retrieved 11 January 2011 at 9:20 am AEST.
- Wratten, Adam (26 January 2011). "Grantham victim remembered". The Chronicle. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- Tom Reilly (13 January 2011). "Death hangs in air as search for bodies starts". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 14 January 2011.
- Tom Threadingham (24 May 2011). "Power and passion". Gatton, Lockyer and Brisbane Valley Star (APN News & Media Ltd). Retrieved 17 June 2011.
- Georgia Waters (5 May 2011). "Flooded Queensland town to be relocated". Brisbane Times (Fairfax Media). Retrieved 17 June 2011.
- Matt Wordsworth (8 June 2011). "Flood-ravaged Grantham moves to higher ground". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 17 June 2011.
- Grantham is a town left in tatters Video of flood damage
- Grantham Flood Support A fundraiser helping with Grantham relief