Grantham and Stamford (UK Parliament constituency)
|Grantham and Stamford|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Grantham and Stamford in Lincolnshire.
Location of Lincolnshire within England.
|Electorate||79,118 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Nick Boles (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Grantham, and Stamford & Spalding|
|European Parliament constituency||East Midlands|
1997-2010: The District of South Kesteven wards of All Saints, Aveland, Barrowby, Belmont, Bourne East, Bourne West, Casewick, Devon, Earlesfield, Forest, Glen Eden, Grantham St John's, Greyfriars, Harrowby, Hillsides, Isaac Newton, Lincrest, Morkery, Peascliffe, Ringstone, St Anne's, St George's, St Mary's, St Wulfram's, Stamford St John's, and Toller.
2010–present: The District of South Kesteven wards of All Saints, Aveland, Belmont, Bourne East, Bourne West, Earlesfield, Forest, Glen Eden, Grantham St John’s, Green Hill, Greyfriars, Harrowby, Hillsides, Isaac Newton, Lincrest, Morkery, Ringstone, St Anne’s, St George’s, St Mary’s, St Wulfram’s, Stamford St John’s, Thurlby, Toller, and Truesdale.
The constituency covers the towns Grantham and Stamford in Lincolnshire with surrounding villages. Most of the constituency was formerly in the Stamford and Spalding constituency. As well as the two Lincolnshire constituencies that it neighbours (Sleaford and South Holland), it neighbours Rutland and Melton to the west, and North West Cambridgeshire to the south. All five are academically considered, based on results in recent elections, Conservative safe seats.
Following a Boundary Commission review for the 2010 election, the constituency's boundary with the Sleaford and North Hykeham constituency saw more wards ceded to the latter seat and all of Truesdale was united into this seat, which before was shared with South Holland and The Deepings. The recommendation saw an estimated electorate size of 73,336. The new boundary does not include Barrowby, Sedgebrook, Great Gonerby or Belton but includes Baston and Langtoft.
This is a large rural seat in southern Lincolnshire. Grantham and Stamford are at the extreme north and south of the seat, with a large swathe of agricultural countryside between them, dotted with small rural villages. The only other large settlement in the seat is the rapidly growing town of Bourne, situated at the west of the Lincolnshire Fens. Food processing and agriculture are the major industries.
Politically Grantham is associated with Margaret Thatcher, who grew up in the town, however, Grantham itself is probably the most Labour part of the seat. The rural part of the seat and the historical town of Stamford outweigh any Labour votes in Grantham and it is normally a safely Conservative seat. The history of Conservative representation was briefly interrupted between 2007 and 2010 when the sitting Conservative MP, Quentin Davies defected to Labour.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Harrish Bisnauthsing||3,263||6.1||−16.1|
|Lincolnshire Independent||Jan Hansen||724||1.3||−0.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Harrish Bisnauthsing||11,726||22.2||+5.7|
|Lincolnshire Independent||Mark Horn||929||1.8||+1.8|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Patrick O'Connor||7,838||16.6||+2.2|
|English Democrat||Benedict Brown||774||1.6||N/A|
|Organisation of Free Democrats||John Andrews||264||0.6||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Jane Carr||6,665||14.4||+1.9|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||John Sellick||6,612||12.5||N/A|
|ProLife Alliance||Rosa Clark||314||0.6||N/A|
|Natural Law||Ian Harper||115||0.2||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Lincolnshire
- Stamford (UK Parliament list of constituencies)
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Grantham - the home town of former Conservative Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "G" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- In late June 2007, the incumbent Conservative MP Quentin Davies announced he was defecting to the Labour Party, shortly before Gordon Brown was due to take over the position of Prime Minister from Tony Blair.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Grantham & Stamford Parliamentary constituency". Election 2015. BBC. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "UK > England > East Midlands > Grantham & Stamford". Election 2010. BBC. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- BBC Election 2010
- GCSE results in the constituency
- Election Maps
- Ask Aristotle
- Statistical data at DEFRA