Granules India Limited
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (March 2015)|
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2015)|
|Traded as||BSE: 532482
|Founder||Mr. C. Krishna Prasad|
|C. Krishna Prasad (CMD)
Harsha Chigurupati (ED)
VVS Murthy (CFO)
Madhusudhan Rao (COO)
Stefan Lohle (CMO)
|Products||Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Methocarbamol, Metformin, Guaifenesin, etc.|
INR 1,096 Crore
Number of employees
Granules India Limited is an Indian pharmaceutical manufacturing company based in Hyderabad, India. The Company manufactures tablets, Pharmaceutical Formulation Intermediates (PFIs) and active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) which are distributed in over 50 countries. Granules manufactures several off-patent drugs, including Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Metformin and Guaifenesin, on a large scale for customers in the regulated and semi-regulated markets.
Granules India was formed in 1984 as Triton Laboratories. Triton produced Paracetamol API at its Bonthapally factory on the outskirts of Hyderabad. Triton scientists found a more efficient way to produce the Paracetamol API, which led to lower capital and raw material requirements. In 1987, Triton became the only Indian company aside from Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories to export pharmaceutical products to the U.S.
Though Triton was growing as an API manufacturer, management decided it could create a value added version of its product. In order to distinguish itself from competitors, Triton management pioneered the concept of manufacturing and selling in bulk granulated Paracetamol, also known as direct compressible grade material (DC), or "PFI". In 1990, it opened its second manufacturing facility at Jeedimetla to produce multiple APIs.
In 1991, management set up a new entity, which was incorporated as Granules India Limited. Soon after Granules applied the PFI concept to other APIs, set up a PFI facility at Jeedimetla and began exporting the material to various markets including the U.S., Germany and Australia.
In 2001, the API and PFI blocks at Jeedimetla facility received approval from the U.S. FDA.
In 2002, Granules started building a new PFI plant in Gagillapur. The facility opened in August 2003. The facility is one of the largest of its kind in the world. In order to secure API for its Ibuprofen PFI, Granules formed a joint-venture with Hubei Biocause Heilen Pharmaceutical to create Granules Biocause in Wuhan, China. The jointly owned Ibuprofen plant is among the biggest plants of its kind in the world.
In 2004, Granules obtained approval from U.S. FDA, Australian TGA and German Health Authority for the Gagillapur facility. In 2007, the Bonthapally new API facility was audited and approved by the FDA.
In 2008, the Gagillapur plant started production of tablets. In 2010, Granules received U.S. FDA approval for its first Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA).
In 2011, Granules established Granules-OmniChem, a joint venture with Ajinomoto OmniChem to venture into Contract Research And Manufacturing Services(CRAMS) business with a manufacturing facility at Vizag SEZ.
In 2013, Granules opened a 10,000 sq. foot R&D facility at Pragathi Nagar in Hyderabad. In the same year the company signed an agreement to acquire Auctus Pharma, which includes twelve APIs in its product portfolio as well as key intermediates of those APIs. It has two manufacturing facilities, an API facility in Vizag and an Intermediate facility in Hyderabad.
Granules has seven manufacturing facilities; six are in India while the seventh is through a joint-venture with Hubei Biocase in Wuhan, China. The company also has two research centres, at Hyderabad and Pune.
The Gagillapur facility is located near Hyderabad and has a Finished Dosage block, a PFI block and a research & development facility.
Granules commissioned the world’s single largest PFI plant in Gagillapur in August 2003 with a batch size of 6 MT and an annual capacity of 7,200 MT per annum. The plant received its US FDA approval within six months of commissioning.
Granules India's Board of Directors include:
- Mr. C. Krishna Prasad : Chairman & Managing Director
- Mrs. Uma Chigurupati : Executive Director
- Mr. Harsha Chigurupati : Executive Director
- Mr. L.S. Sarma : Independent Director
- Mr. A.P. Kurian : Independent Director
- Mr. C. Parthasarathy : Independent Director
- Dr. Krishna Murthy Ella : Independent Director
- Mr. Arun Rao Akinepally : Independent Director
- Mr. K. B. Sankara Rao : Director
- "Granules India Limited - About Us - Overview". Granulesindia.com. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Granules India signs deal with Matchland Pty Ltd".
- "Granules India". Moneycontrol.com. May 10, 2007. Retrieved 10 December 2009.
- "Granules India Limited - About Us - Milestones". Granulesindia.com. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Granules ties up with GSK Healthcare R&D".
- "Granules, Amneal Pharma get FDA nod". Business Standard. August 2, 2006. Retrieved 10 December 2009.
- "Granules India takes stake in Chinese firm". In-pharmatechnologist.com. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Granules India invites shareholders approval for IFC investment".
- "Granules India Ltd., is pleased to announce the approval of its facilities in the recently conducted audit by US FDA". Granulesindia.com. 2007-05-14. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Granules India Limited - Infrastructure - Equipment - Capacities & Capabilities". Granulesindia.com. Retrieved 2010-09-30.