|Place of origin||Naples, New York|
|Region or state||New York|
|Main ingredients||Concord grapes|
Grape pie is a type of fruit pie made from Concord grape and is part of harvest time traditions in the Finger Lakes region of New York in the United States. It is particularly sought after at the Naples, New York, Grape Festival, and can be found at various shops around town.
Concord grape pie
Grape pie made with Concord grapes is a regional specialty of Western New York, the Finger Lakes region, Pennsylvania and other areas of the United States where the grape is grown as well as Ontario, Canada. Vineyards that grow the grape, which was developed in the U.S., stretch from Western New York across Pennsylvania and into Ohio and Michigan as well as Washington state. Grape pie is a specialty and tradition of Naples, New York, host of the Naples Grape Festival and home to Angela Cannon-Crothers, author of Grape Pie Season.
The grape pie is part of the traditional cuisine of German immigrants to the region. This tradition is represented at Old Economy, home of a group of communal German immigrants founded in 1824. The pie-making is a "very long process" and includes "skinning the grape, cooking the pulp and separating out the seeds."
- Clementine Paddleford Look What You Can Make With Grapes! May 13, 1962 page 24 Los Angeles Times
- "Consider the grape pie, whose unique flavor inspires thousands to take the spectacular drive to Naples each autumn for a bite—and more. In fact, we'd bet more people these days think of grape pies than they do Widmer wines when contemplating Naples." In Naples. the grape will still reign supreme Archived 2009-12-27 at the Wayback Machine September 29, 2009 Daily Messenger
- The Great Grape Pie Escapade September 14, 1988 Washington Post
- Read all about ... pie, and more Archived 2009-09-29 at the Wayback Machine September 24, 2009 Daily Messenger /MPNnow.com
- Carol Ness Seasonal Cook: Short-lived Concord grapes elevate humble pie August 20, 2008 San Francisco Chronicle
- Margi Shrum At Old Economy, a pie worth toasting September 24, 2009, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Cecily Brownstone Concord Grape Pie Returns to Spotlight Sep 30, 1976 Los Angeles Times page OC_B34
- Mary Meade Time Is Ripe for Concord Grape Pies; Ration Roundup September 4, 1944 page 23 Chicago Daily Tribune